Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on Kev's snake thread, but I also wanted to post here too to let everybody know to seriously watch out for snakes.

Bo was bitten about 2 years ago by a copperhead, and now 2 years later he got bit again trying to protect his family.

My family was on a hike Bo saw the snake slither out from behind my kids and attacked it. He never even barked or growled. He looks alot better this time than last (thank GOODNESS). We are treating him with viatmin C, Benadryl and antibiotics. It has been 8 hours and 40% of the swelling has went down, but hes still in miserable pain (poor baby).

PLEASE keep a eye out for snakes when you go hiking.

If you look in the fourth pic you can see the bite from 2 years ago still pink with no hair (above the date stamp-probally will never grow it back).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
WOW! That is amazing how much swelling his lips/jowls did. I am shocked. What a great dog you have. I am sure he remembered what that thing slithering on the ground did to him before, and he got on it anyway. I hope he has a full and fast recovery. :thumb:

lima-charlie

·
Registered
497 Posts
I posted on Kev's snake thread, but I also wanted to post here too to let everybody know to seriously watch out for snakes.

Bo was bitten about 2 years ago by a copperhead, and now 2 years later he got bit again trying to protect his family.

My family was on a hike Bo saw the snake slither out from behind my kids and attacked it. He never even barked or growled. He looks alot better this time than last (thank GOODNESS). We are treating him with viatmin C, Benadryl and antibiotics. It has been 8 hours and 40% of the swelling has went down, but hes still in miserable pain (poor baby).

If you look in the fourth pic you can see the bite from 2 years ago still pink with no hair (above the date stamp-probally will never grow it back).
That dog needs a nice big hug and lots of attention. Brave pup and that's why no matter what I'll never eat a dog they are the best protection you can have. I miss having a dog. Got one coming for the weekend my cousin is going away and they use to board the pup when they went to the in-laws (allergic) but we are cheaper (free) and the dog is happier then in some cage.
Good dog hope he's getting treated like a king right now.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
You have yourself a very good, very very valuable addition to your family.

A dog that will lay his life on the line to protect you and your family is worth his weight in gold. I really mean that. Can you imagine what would have happened if the Copperhead had bit one of your kids?

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your concern over our brave one, Bo is doing much better. To the suprise of his vet Bo's swelling has been reduced within 24hr to just 10% of what it was at it's peak yesterday. The vet says he will try the vitamin C therapy more often now (other countries use it and have very very good results). I contribute the raw goats milk , vitamin , Benadryl and antibiotic (general farm antibiotic from TSC) to Bo's quick recovery. He is still in a little pain but it's getting better (he woofed down 2 helpings of food at luch time).

Bo is a very special friend, he will always be treated like a king as long as he is with our family.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5,588 Posts

That is the look. No doubt he does not feel good.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My sister got an adult dog from an animals shelter. They took the dog to their country place, and it got into a porqupine. I helped get the quills out, and you'd think he'd have had enough. What does he do but go out and find another, and this time he killed it.

The vet was going to charge $$$... no way we could deal with the broken off quills deep in his mouth, around eyes and everywhere else they'd gone.

After a few questions about the dog, the vet said he frankly would advise putting it down, because it didnt have the sense of last years bird nest, and was going to go do the same thing again.

Also pointed out that there are a lot of good smart dogs that were not going to survive at the shelter if someone didnt adopt them...there isnt homes for all the good dogs and it doesnt make sense to keep one like this.

As for the snake protection dog, i expect he'd recommend that you keep him healthy as long as nature will allow. Im sure he knew just what was going to happen when he went after the snake but did it anyway, to protect his family.

If anyone asks you what kind of dog you have, tell them you have a GOOD dog.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
what a great dog!!! He gets a steak with a side of bacon & eggs when he heals. He's blessed to have a family that cares for him as much as it seems he cares for you! Thank you for posting this.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Great dog. you are fortunate to have loyalty like that. I hope he recovers soon. I once had a carin terrrier who went nuts snapping at my foot for no apparent reason. Once I looked down, I saw the scorpion on mt shoe. He got a quarter pounder with cheese for his effort. The scorpion got squished...

·
Registered
184 Posts
excellent dog, and great outcome. My daddy tells a story about our old beagle Spot, that used to protect me from copperheads when I was first walking around. He used to get between me and the snake, and bump me down with his butt so I couldn't get past him, then he would tear that snake up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts