Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BLM Land

Hi all, new and hoping to run an idea by some more seasoned survivalist. I current don't have a reliable BOL within any reasonable amount of distance. I have not saved enough to purchase a plot of land in a suitable location and probably won't for a few years being in the military and state hopping so much. I have no relatives nearby and besides a few camping locations my options seem limited. I have a good amount of food/supplies/reliable BOV and my current plan is such:

In a SHTF situation, load up and ship out to the nearest large BLM land plot. Right now for me that's a 200 mile trip to a remote location with close to a million acres and no major industry or population near by. I realize that there are certain times when this wouldn't be viable but taking it that there is something beyond a hurricane like natural disaster, i'll be like a grain of sand on a beach out there. I know certain states in the west are upwards of 40% BLM land by total land area and certain states (Nevada) are close to 70%. As long as i'm not by a FEMA death camp and with the government busy dealing with (state your favorite SHTF situation) i think i could establish a temporary camp/homestead. Has anyone else thought of all the land that the government hoards but isn't used or occupied? No government, no owner, right? I appreciate your thoughts and info....

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,155 Posts
Im guessing you mean the Bureau of land management, BLM.

Here in the west they can be kinda abrasive, but most BLM land are open to 14 day dispersed camping and would work for many crisis conditions.

·
Bear Magnet
3,762 Posts
First of all, thankyou for your service.
Next?
YOU own all of the Bureau of Land Missmanagement land!!
They are our SERVANTS!!!
Wanna get a closer look? Come out to the "Shirley Basin Wind Dopers" annual wind doping clinic. Middle of june.

Welcome to Wyoming. A small town with really long streets between neighborhoods.:D:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bureau of Livestock and Mining.

Anyway, I think your plan is sound, PLUS it gives you flexibility by having mobility. If, for any reason, your BOL becomes untennable, just pick up stakes and move.

I have toyed with the idea of a travel trailer or RV set up for exactly this scenario.

Stock your RV to the gills with LTS food/guns/gear and steer towards your destination. Previous scouting/vacation sessions can help you map points of entrance/egress/water/etc.

Sounds logical. One size doesn't fit all. We all wont have a mountain cabin in the hills to go to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nevada eh

just be careful you dont wander onto a USAF bombing range

the air force likes moving targets...heightens the realism

·
Registered
305 Posts
Make sure you scout plenty. Where I am there is a lot of BLM land but much of it is leased to ranchers. In a bad situation they may be more likely to call it theirs. I know from experience that they put a lot of sweat into its care as they benefit from its resources. It may be gov land, but most of it would be mighty unfriendly to people, livestock, and wildlife if it were not for their improvements.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,704 Posts
Make sure you scout plenty. Where I am there is a lot of BLM land but much of it is leased to ranchers. In a bad situation they may be more likely to call it theirs. I know from experience that they put a lot of sweat into its care as they benefit from its resources. It may be gov land, but most of it would be mighty unfriendly to people, livestock, and wildlife if it were not for their improvements.
And that is why I like National forest land the best. Lots of BLM land but ranchers and some others seem to control it much more than they do the many many millions of acres of national forests, here in the Rocky Mtn west anyway.

And BLM land which I have seen usually has no trees but plenty of cattle, possibly oil fields and so many other things that much national forest land does not have.

My 3 and 1/2 acres of remote mtn land is surrounded by a million acre national forest with some other private land mixed in. There are millions of acres of national forest also in Colorado and the CO / WY border is only about 20 miles to the south of my mtn place.

I would not want to try to find and buy land today and very glad that I was able to buy my small acreage ( in 1987 ) for more than 10 times less than what it would cost today.

There is a 21 day camping limit in the national forest. And people could just keep moving their camp If they wished to stay up there for a few months.

YOU own all of the Bureau of Land Missmanagement land!!
They are our SERVANTS!!!
Wanna get a closer look? Come out to the "Shirley Basin Wind Dopers" annual wind doping clinic. Middle of june.
And If someone does go there then they should come a few miles south to the small town of Encampment, WY and then go west towards Battle pass where my mtn retreat is about one mile to the east of that pass on the Continental Divide. Anyone plz email or message me before coming up this summer... I would also guarantee a unique wilderness experience including the bunker etc....

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
For the short term you can camp just about any where so long as you keep a low profile.

For anything more permanent then you get complicated.

The answer might be to stay mobile, 14 days here, 14 days there, that is a month rent free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts