Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Can anyone shed some light on an issue for me?

You see, I got an old surplus german K98 mauser, 1937 dated, Except all the finish has worn off the bolt, it's completely silver!

It was like that when i got it, So my question is, whats the quickest and easiest way to cheaply blue the bolt to match the other metals? I'm not purely doing this for cosmetic reasons, but for camo purposes also, a bright shiny bolt is gonna get me spotted, and in SHTF thats not exactly the best thing.

·
Wendigo244
103 Posts
Easy as pie.
Steel wool the hell out of what your blueing.
Put on rubber Gloves (two layers)
and I use a sponge to rub the blueing on.
The more you rub, the darker and more... lustrous? (*is that the right word?) the blueing will become.

Pie.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Easy as pie.
Steel wool the hell out of what your blueing.
Put on rubber Gloves (two layers)
and I use a sponge to rub the blueing on.
The more you rub, the darker and more... lustrous? (*is that the right word?) the blueing will become.

Pie.
Ok cool, any idea what brand of blue i should use, And what do i steel wool it for?

Cause i've never blued something before, dont want to mess it up. (if thats even possible?)

Reactions: Wendigo244

·
Wendigo244
103 Posts
Birchwood and Outers are both good 'Blueing' brand names.

But its one of those things that you cant really screw up... At all.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Birchwood works good for me. Buy the set. It has phosphoric acid cleaner and will get you a better finish than if you don't use acid. Use gloves and never touch the parts with bare fingers unless you want to blue in a fingerprint. It never comes out as good as a factory blue but will meet your needs quite nicely.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent, I appreciate the help.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Wendigo244 is right it will look pretty close to a factory job. as long as no one points it out you can't tell, just get it on dark and even, and use very rough, them med then very very fine steel wool. I use a big chunk of cardboard and fold a lip up and tape the corners like a giant box lid then lay a lot of newsprint in the bottom. You will probably want to do a few and then you only need to pull the messed up newspaper out from each.

No matter what it says do not breathe the fumes. A good mask is cheap insurance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts