Survivalist Forum banner

Do you prefer blue or stainless steel gun metal?

• Blue

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 57 55.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I grewup with Blue steel I think it's the way to go. I don't mind any extra care that Blue steel needs.
Besides bright guns are bad luck.
XR750

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I love blue steel and walnut.
But for a handgun, I prefer stainless. Because I often carry concealed and it is more resistant to sweat and other moisture buildup in hot weather or under heavy coats in winter.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Function is more important to me than looks.
in a real servival situation, which do you think is going to stand up with out being able to give the blued steel the care it requires?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Very much prefer Stainless Steel to Blue Steel. However their are limited models in Stainless, they cost a bit more when they are available, and arent as low profile from a camo stand point as Blued Steel as far as blending in better with your surroundings. I do like the easier care and the fact that a small scratch can easily be buffed out making it look pristine again. I mean if you look at a Blued Steel gun wrong (it sometimes seems) you can get some surface rust that mars the finish. Getting your fire arm reblued aint cheap. That being said I only own a couple of guns that are stainless. It seems that all of the great deals I have stumbled into have always been Blued Steel, so thats what I mainly have. But given a choice, I will take Stainless over Blued 8 days a week.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Mind if I vote... 'both'?

Might sound strange, but I have a 'Sunday' pistol that I carry to church.
Stainless and walnut, in brown leather. My Sunday formal dress gun.

Otherwise, it's Glock and black leather.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
news flash they invented a neet stuff called paint, so that one could actually change the color of something on the out side . if I am in a servival situatin the paint goes on I don't care what iit looks like as long as it works .
If what you are carrying looks like it's been through the mill; I' have volumes more respect for the person, and their willingness to use the gun effectively.
But if it is shiney blue and unused , the probiblity of capability beyond standing in front of a mirror,doesn't intimidate me at all.
They paint vinal camo on rifles all the time , no reason not to cover the hand gun.
If a person is using the gun to merely threaten with , then maybe leaving it shiney blue is appropreate.

·
Registered
156 Posts
just me but i cant stand the look of a stainles gun i have plenty of them
but just realy like the simplicety of a blued rifle with a synthetic stock

i used to be just the opp shiny wood stocks gold inlayed in the lettering but today
i dont remember the last time i cleaned a gun to me its a tool

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mind if I vote... 'both'?

Might sound strange, but I have a 'Sunday' pistol that I carry to church.
Stainless and walnut, in brown leather. My Sunday formal dress gun.

Otherwise, it's Glock and black leather.
funny me to sunday its a gentelmens .38 the other 6 days a glock

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
news flash they invented a neet stuff called paint, so that one could actually change the color of something on the out side . if I am in a servival situatin the paint goes on I don't care what iit looks like as long as it works .
If what you are carrying looks like it's been through the mill; I' have volumes more respect for the person, and their willingness to use the gun effectively.
But if it is shiney blue and unused , the probiblity of capability beyond standing in front of a mirror,doesn't intimidate me at all.
They paint vinal camo on rifles all the time , no reason not to cover the hand gun.
If a person is using the gun to merely threaten with , then maybe leaving it shiney blue is appropreate.
You just might not have enough time to paint your firearm.:rolleyes:
Hey, if you want shiny stuff, go right ahead. Put spinners on your car, if ya want, while your at it.:D:
Where'd you learn to spell, anyway?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stainless vs Blue

Stainless makes for a much more visible concealed carry handgun. A blued handgun has less visibility, and reflection however its going to wear the bluing if used a lot with a holster. I love the look of a blued handgun.
Stainless is what I use for concealed carry for two reasons. It is indestructible. Does not scratch like blued guns and in a situation which requires you to unholster your weapon It is much more visible and intimidating.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I voted blued but actually prefer parkerized, shiny guns are a no-no.
If you have to unholster the intimidation factor should come from muzzle flashes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts