Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to shoot friends custom Ruger mini-30 over the weekend. It had a trigger job and an 18.5 inch barrel and muzzle brake replacements by a company called accuracy something (international? systems?......I don’t recollect).

I was blown away by its accuracy; it was more accurate than my ar15 carbine. I had always dismissed the 7.62x39 as inaccurate, but this really was an eye opener. Now this carbine along with the custom upgrade cost north of $1400, so comparing it to a $700 plus Ar15 might not really be fair, but nevertheless it blew me away.

I think a very reliable ,accurate m1 garand style shtf rifle in 7.62x39 sounds very interesting. I wonder why Ruger does not provide those improvements out of the box?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've always loved the Mini 14 and the Mini 30. I've always heard that they are plagued with accuracy issues though. Even owners say they aren't the best shooting gun, but they still love them. This is what has kept me from purchasing a Mini 14 thus far. Still though, I'm just in love with the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Someday I'll get mine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always loved the Mini 14 and the Mini 30. I've always heard that they are plagued with accuracy issues though. Even owners say they aren't the best shooting gun, but they still love them. This is what has kept me from purchasing a Mini 14 thus far. Still though, I'm just in love with the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. Someday I'll get mine.
I think the newer versions of the mini14/30 are probably more accurate than they are being given credit. The terrorist scumbag in Norway apparantly used one in his massacre with devastating effect.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
I think the newer versions of the mini14/30 are probably more accurate than they are being given credit. The terrorist scumbag in Norway apparantly used one in his massacre with devastating effect.
Don't think they are more accurate. They are. I've owned a older model and now own a newer model and it is more accurate. I used to get 3 to 5 inch groups at 100 yards open sights rested with my older model and now get 1 1/2 - 3 inch groups with my newer model.

I am not sure if this is due to the newer ghost ring sights or the thicker barrels or perhaps because of both.

You don't have to get a custom job on one unless you consistently want 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups @100yrds every shot.

To clarify. The Ruger Mini-14/30 rifles are not assault rifles but they are rugged, reliable, and accurate (Enough) to depend on and perform.

Great to plink with, hunt with, and defend one's life and property with. Period.

Great rifle? that is a little bit of a stretch. Good rifle? Hell yeah!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have always though the Mini-14/30 would be the ideal platform for the 6.8, and 6.5. A great youth hunting rifle in 7.62 x 39.

It's very strong and durable and I can't remember seeing a problem with one using OEM mags.

The accuracy problem has to do with barrel harmonics and the reciever contact that they have mostly rectified. With the price of steel, the Mini's are more expensive than they should be but it's the only all stainless semi-auto out there. I don't own one but I have a pile of mags in case I find a stainless GB someday.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,413 Posts
Don't think they are more accurate. They are. I've owned a older model and now own a newer model and it is more accurate. I used to get 3 to 5 inch groups at 100 yards open sights rested with my older model and now get 1 1/2 - 3 inch groups with my newer model.

I am not sure if this is due to the newer ghost ring sights or the thicker barrels or perhaps because of both.

You don't have to get a custom job on one unless you consistently want 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups @100yrds every shot.

To clarify. The Ruger Mini-14/30 rifles are not assault rifles but they are rugged, reliable, and accurate (Enough) to depend on and perform.

Great to plink with, hunt with, and defend one's life and property with. Period.

With a little work bedding the action, a mini-30 is a good solid 2 inch gun.
I rate it as a great commercial carbine.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I am giving very serious thought to buying a ruger in either 7.62x39 or 6.8spc. At the moment Im leaning more toward the 7.62 as the latest Ive read indicates that the ruger 6.8 is not built for some of the higher pressure loads of this caliber.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Glad we've got some current owners chiming in. Just solidifies my desire to own the mini 14.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have one of the newer 580 series guns with the tapered heavy barrel. This barrel added 3/4lb to the weight of the gun over the straight tapered barrel I had on my first mini. Both were wood and stainless.

Shooting the cheap Monarch ammo from Academy with open sights I get 3" or slightly less for groups. And that was with 53 year old eyes that are in need of new glasses. I really like that little rifle. I have one 20 round factory mag and 9 Pro-Mag 20 rounders. The pro-Mags have worked every time with out a single failure so far. I did have to fit 4 of them so they would snap in easier. Now they lock in rock solid. I actually liked that.

I can shoot this gun until its way too hot to touch the barrel and have never had the stringing, point of impact change others have reported. And my gun is straight from the box except for a buffer I bought from Midway.

I also have 3 five round factory mags and those are what I use most. I modified one mag to be a 6 round mag. Its easy to do.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
All accounts (mostly by CZDiesel around here) show the newer 58x series are fine little rifles.

I was either going to get the Mini 30's or the M1 Carbines. I decided on the M1's since I had pre-ban mags and I had a lot of experience with the round.

It was close though and honestly, I still may get Mini 30's as a secondary rifle.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
I got a new mini 14 and its not a tack driver, but it shoots better than i can with that short sight radius.

I have no problem keeping all the shots on a torse target at 100 yards, and thats all you can ask.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 581 in 5.56 is the best value in rifles today. Shoots 2 inches, light, points well, inexpensive, reliable.

Just not as "sexy" as some of the military style guns in my collection.

If I were on a budget and needed a rifle to hunt and defend with, a 58x mini would be it.

Finally, if you like garands and their derivatives (m14, m1 carbine) a mini is right at home.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Mini accuracy mods

Mini's respond well to bedding, trigger work and crown clean-up.
they are also ammo-sensitive. the M30 prefers quality ammo and/or good handloads. 150gr sp handloaded rounds are better for bigger whitetail than the 123gr hp available IMO.
the 30 was designed as a bush hunting carbine with the scope mounts built in. very good wild hog rifle and good shtf carbine.
if you can find them 'American' brand 10 rd mags are great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the link paramilusmc provided:
MINI 14 & AR15 Comparisons
Mini 14 - No hot gases are dumped into the bolt. So the bolt is not over come by excessive heat! Also there is no carbon to build up and lock up the bolt!

AR15 - Hot gases are dumped into the bolt to say the least and carbon will build up if not regularly cleaned causing a malfunction and or cease to operate condition.

Mini 14 - All steel receiver and case hardened to a thickness of at least .020"

AR15 - 75% aluminum alloy with the critical parts steel

Mini 14 - Open bolt design is a close copy of the M14. The open bolt is very forgiving when it comes to dirt, dust or sand. The rifle clean or dirty just keeps ticking and ticking.

AR 15- Closed bolt design. Just ask our troops about the plastic baggies they need to use to keep the sand from jamming up there rifles.

Mini 14 - Self cleaning gas system no buffer tube to collect moisture or dirt and lock up the buffer system.

AR 15- Must be field stripped to clean trigger compartment, Buffer system, Bolt & carrier and gas tube system.

Mini 14 - compact, versatile, and doesn't take up much space.

AR15 - Large bulky

Mini 14 - Field strips in seconds. Pop the trigger guard and the rifle practically dismantles it self.

AR 15- Definitely slower to disassemble.

Mini 14 - Now here the AR has an advantage over the Mini. Out of the box ACCURACY!

AR 15 - Out of the box ACCURACY!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts