Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used the Cold Steel Zytel broadheads for hunting. I was looking at getting them and maybe using them for hunting bullfrogs. Any feedback on the darts good bad or indifferent would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I do not hunt with a blowgun, but I read somewhere that long wooden darts with an exacto blade point make the best hunting darts.

·
Nihil Obstat
94 Posts
I own a CS blowgun and I have the mini broadheads , normal broadheads and bamboo darts, even the bamboo darts will penetrate an unopened sodacan at 30 ft , in my opinion if it does that, a bullfrog wont be a problem, advantage for the longer bamboo darts is that they immobilize the prey somewhat if the shot isn't a one-shot-one-kill type of deal and they add byoancy to the prey , hope this helps
DD

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
I have one of the old blowguns like you used to see in the back of Popular Mechanics. Cannot remember the name. I have spring steel darts you can use with or without broadheads and little plastic cones you melt onto the ends. I'll see if I can find a pic. If not I'll take one and post it. The cold steel ones are probably better than mine.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Heres a pic of my blowgun and my darts. You heat the darts up with a lighter and push the backs on and they melt in place. Same with the plastic broadheads. The advantage I've noticed in using the broadheads is that it keeps from pinning the squirrels to the tree like happens if you just shoot the steel dart without the broadhead. If you're shooting at a squirrel with a pellet gun he will go around the tree after the first shot (assuming you don't hit him the first time) but with a blowgun he will just sit there and chirp at you while darts whiz by him.
The blowguns a little hard to see but it's there.

My darts.

The cold steel darts are heads above this setup and are larger in caliber as well. I need to get one of those setups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts