Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few months now my roommate has been getting huge blisters on his hands and fingers that leave scars. His hands look like something out of a monster movie. We were trying to figure out what we bought that might be causing it. We realized we had bought a new type of dish liquid at the dollar store. I think it was Sun brand and it was antibacterial. I looked it up and the "antibacterial" ingredient was a pesticide. We stopped using it and the blisters stopped. We switched back to Ajax. A couple of weeks ago the blisters started again and won't stop forming. He went to his doctor and he didn't know what it was but gave him cortosone ceam and some type of patches called Tegaderm Film. It's not working. Two more blisters this morning. What's weird is that they seem to form overnight when he's sleeping. I looked up the ingredients in Ajax and it contains sulfuric acid! And other chemicals that are harmful. The pdf said not to come in contact with skin. Then how the heck do you wash dishes??? Is there any SAFE brand out there? He's obcessive about washing dishes. If there is even on dish or piece of flatware he has to wash it.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
try seventh generation or one thats biodegradable and "free and clear"
earth friendly brand(i get at heb) seems good, do dioxins, or petrochemicals,
dr bonners makes a house hold formula(sals suds or something like that) or even the regular dr bonners is good for dishes
seen recently here where dawn makes a biodegradable form of soap thats free and clear

a place to go look for other personal products and used around the house is http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
If he has been washing dish for years, this allergy would probably not pop up all of the sudden.

Why are you asking questions about your roommates health? It seems like that is his/her responsibility.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
If he has been washing dish for years, this allergy would probably not pop up all of the sudden.

Why are you asking questions about your roommates health? It seems like that is his/her responsibility.

he said he changed soaps and then started the problems(which looks to come from a pesticide), then switched again and noticed some nasty ingredients that shouldnt be used on skin as label said.

next question was is there a good brand not full of toxic ingredients

and maybe the op is more worried about his health than the friends health,

·
Registered
86 Posts
I may be an unusual case, but I developed chronic eczema on my hands after a bad case of poison ivy a few years ago. It flares up when I do a lot of housework or gardening (yeah, i know, it sounds like an allergy to work :cool:), typically many hours after the activity.

I use gloves to protect my hands. It helps some. I was also told by the dermatologist to try and avoid contact with DMDM Hydantoin in hair and body products during flare ups (hard to wear gloves in the shower). I use Neutrogena face bar for soap and Garnier shampoo for hair. Another soap product that doesn't contain this ingredient is Old Spice body wash.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
I may be an unusual case, but I developed chronic eczema on my hands after a bad case of poison ivy a few years ago. It flares up when I do a lot of housework or gardening (yeah, i know, it sounds like an allergy to work :cool:), typically many hours after the activity.

I use gloves to protect my hands. It helps some. I was also told by the dermatologist to try and avoid contact with sodium laureth sulfate in hair and body products during flare ups (hard to wear gloves in the shower). I use Neutrogena face bar for soap and Garnier shampoo for hair. Another soap product that doesn't contain this ingredient is Old Spice body wash.
actually both products contain sls and other things, most conventional products contain it, and there are other forms
take a look
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/216511/Garnier_Fructis_Daily_Care_Fortifying_Shampoo/
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/141030/OLD_SPICE_BODY_WASH_-_CLASSIC/

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
That sounds like either a contact dermatitis OR aggressive pustular psoriasis. Either one could create the same symptoms. Cortisone cream probably won't clear it up.

He needs to see a dermatologist ASAP to get a definitive diagnosis. Pustular psoriasis can get really ugly, very fast. Primary doctors usually are not the ones to see for skin problems, because they generally just guess at what the cause might be.

Something that will give some relief, in the meantime, is a product called Domeboro Soak, which is available OTC at any drugstore. (Usually on the shelf with the first aid products.) You mix it, as directed in water, and it will soothe the irritated skin if you use this soaking lotion each day. He still needs to see a dermatologist, though. If it is the pustular psoriasis (which is the worst form of that) it will require an Rx med to clear it up.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Because he has a severe brain injury!!! And why are you so negative and always coming on threads and being a jerk?? Get OFF it! I usually ignore jerks like you but now I'm angry.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,746 Posts
For a few months now my roommate has been getting huge blisters on his hands and fingers that leave scars. His hands look like something out of a monster movie. We were trying to figure out what we bought that might be causing it. We realized we had bought a new type of dish liquid at the dollar store. I think it was Sun brand and it was antibacterial. I looked it up and the "antibacterial" ingredient was a pesticide. We stopped using it and the blisters stopped. We switched back to Ajax. A couple of weeks ago the blisters started again and won't stop forming. He went to his doctor and he didn't know what it was but gave him cortosone ceam and some type of patches called Tegaderm Film. It's not working. Two more blisters this morning. What's weird is that they seem to form overnight when he's sleeping. I looked up the ingredients in Ajax and it contains sulfuric acid! And other chemicals that are harmful. The pdf said not to come in contact with skin. Then how the heck do you wash dishes??? Is there any SAFE brand out there? He's obcessive about washing dishes. If there is even on dish or piece of flatware he has to wash it.
Try some of those Playtex Rubber Gloves for a few weeks with the same soap and see if the blisters stop or keep coming back. If they stop, keep using the gloves, if they keep coming back I would look at the possibility of bed bugs or something biting your roomates hands at night.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
he said he changed soaps and then started the problems(which looks to come from a pesticide), then switched again and noticed some nasty ingredients that shouldnt be used on skin as label said.

next question was is there a good brand not full of toxic ingredients

and maybe the op is more worried about his health than the friends health,
OMG Now everyone thinks we're a gay couple because I said roommate. I'm a she and he's a he.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get him some of these:

LOL I said that today but he has huge hands and I doubt I could find gloves to fit him. Isn't washing dishes still considered a woman's job? Geesh I don't even know if that's the problem but I told him to not do dishes and see what happens. In the meantime I'll look more into safer products.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually both products contain sls and other things, most conventional products contain it, and there are other forms
take a look
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/216511/Garnier_Fructis_Daily_Care_Fortifying_Shampoo/
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/141030/OLD_SPICE_BODY_WASH_-_CLASSIC/
I can't understand why they make these products with so many toxic chemicals in them. Is there an ulterior motive? So many of the products say neurotoxicity. With his brain injury I have to be careful he doesn't inhale ammonia and other chemicals. I was also wondering why after I got out of the shower my scalp burns sometimes. Shampoo or chemicals in the water? This is depressing.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds like either a contact dermatitis OR aggressive pustular psoriasis. Either one could create the same symptoms. Cortisone cream probably won't clear it up.

He needs to see a dermatologist ASAP to get a definitive diagnosis. Pustular psoriasis can get really ugly, very fast. Primary doctors usually are not the ones to see for skin problems, because they generally just guess at what the cause might be.

Something that will give some relief, in the meantime, is a product called Domeboro Soak, which is available OTC at any drugstore. (Usually on the shelf with the first aid products.) You mix it, as directed in water, and it will soothe the irritated skin if you use this soaking lotion each day. He still needs to see a dermatologist, though. If it is the pustular psoriasis (which is the worst form of that) it will require an Rx med to clear it up.
I agree about seeing a dermotologist but you have to go through your primary care first. The doctor we had that we really liked quit and went into research. This place has had doctors come and go every couple of months and we never know who we will get. I guess medicare and medicaid really is on the way out. His primary care doctor "doesn't know what it is" but prescribes cortozone and doesn't refer him?

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
Because he has a severe brain injury!!! And why are you so negative and always coming on threads and being a jerk?? Get OFF it! I usually ignore jerks like you but now I'm angry.
i said nothing mean. quit being dramatic, its just the internet.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was also thinking maybe peanut allergy. We started buying unsalted peanuts for the birds this past winter and he puts them out. Just trying to figure out the cause by elimination.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try the old fashioned green Palmolive dish washing soap like other folks recommend. My wife has problems with all antibacterial soaps. Her doctor called it contact dermatitis. Any new contact with metals? She also has a nickel allergy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts