Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of sharp cookies in this lot of ladies (and gentlemen), and I'd like to ask you all what you do (if anything), and what you might potentially do, to walk about undetected.

Do you dress-down more often or in a more matronly fashion, etc.?

Earlier this year I bought a "sleeper" of a family sedan. I have noticed the contrast in driving this vs. my truck. The "old lady in a Buick" generalization is quite true. No one even bats an eye at this car. While my truck pretty-much nails my "personality-type", the car is nearly opposite. The advantages of this, to me at least, are open and apparent.

Just contemplating the subject, and wondering how many are making similar considerations.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i have and do continue to drive an old wore out looking truck. I find that laying low and slipping between the cracks suits me better. I don't want folks knowing what i have or haven't got.
I think your on the right track and down the road if not soon it might really pay off as the economy tightens and folks decide stealing is one of there best ways to get what they want or need. who would you investigate to rob somone who looks poor as a snake or someone who flaunts it.............. Pretty obvious.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
I do dress to blend in, I find that there are a lot of advantages to it. :3 Dressing plainer seems to make you more approachable, and people seem to think you're mature and down-to-earth, and don't assign stereotypes, which is nice.

I used to dress a lot flashier.. ATM I do have several fancy/weird hats, but the good thing about hats is that you can take them off to look less conspicuous, (or in my case, more nerdy) and I don't seem to get recognized if I walk past the same person with it off. (double free samples, yaaaaay)

Also I like to wear sandals year-round and people used to look at me weird in winter, but I just got a pair of those hybrid shoe/sandals that ARE sandals, but look like shoes. Makes me feel sneaky./dork

I'm actually kind of obsessed with the concept of blending in at the moment, for some reason. (Was just thinking about it today, in fact.) Like the concept of being somewhere where you're kind of the opposite of everyone else, but they don't know it. I felt like that when I went on a trip with my friend and her church group, eheh. :B It was kind of cool. Like being a secret agent./DORK

What's your reason for wanting to blend in more?

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
I know there are a lot of sharp cookies in this lot of ladies (and gentlemen), and I'd like to ask you all what you do (if anything), and what you might potentially do, to walk about undetected.

Do you dress-down more often or in a more matronly fashion, etc.?

Earlier this year I bought a "sleeper" of a family sedan. I have noticed the contrast in driving this vs. my truck. The "old lady in a Buick" generalization is quite true. No one even bats an eye at this car. While my truck pretty-much nails my "personality-type", the car is nearly opposite. The advantages of this, to me at least, are open and apparent.

Just contemplating the subject, and wondering how many are making similar considerations.
Good subject, thanks Hilda

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's your reason for wanting to blend in more?
Don't really have a reason. Just kinda dawned on me that I was actively trying (and perhaps becoming a little obsessive as well).

I see a lot of people everyday, and not very many of them are "aware" for lack of better term. Much like you described, I guess, with being the only one of "my kind" in the group and just trying to lay low.

I'm a hoarder, I admit it. I know few of my neighbors will fare well in the very near future and perhaps this cluelessness drives my tendencies. I worry for them, but I worry even more for me and mine. I guess I am leaning toward being even more private a person than before about things I'm not usually too concerned in guarding, food for example. I mean, I have always kept my discussion of firearms etc pretty low key, but now I'm viewing my food, first aid supplies, etc. in the same sort of light. In truth, where I used to keep our food stuffs in the kitchen, I now pack it all into the basement, primarily, I've just realized, not for ease or practicality in storage, but because I don't want company seeing it! wtf...

:eek::

·
Registered
61 Posts
if people know you have it, in times of crisis they will come looking to you for a handout or to steal it.
i was thinking on this too. if i was getting prepared, i'd keep it low key. i was thinking about energy sources: wind mill vs solar panel for electricity. solar panels would be better because they are less conspicuous.
i always think to myself: never volunteer information.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The thing I have noticed is that when I dress up with nice clothing, makeup, jewelry, etc, I tend to get better service in shops, people treat me more politely, guys offer to help me if I am carrying heavy objects and generally things take less effort. I also noticed after I lost 40kg that my career took off and people were a whole lot nicer, even though I didn't change in any real way except appearance. If my experience is anything to judge by, life goes more smoothly for attractive people.

On the other hand, I really can't be arsed to dress up anymore, and I am one of life's natural plain Janes. Like you, I'd rather not be paid much attention. I think my man would prefer if I made more of an effort, but he also appreciates that he has a woman who doesn't mind digging the garden, chopping wood or painting the house.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I just don't have time for dressing up and it doesn't and hasn't ever suited my personality to do so.

When I have to buy clothing, I have four criteria. Warmth, comfort, plain colors and simplicity. I stick to grays, black, white and browns, makes mix and match that much simpler. Yep, I'm about as drab as you can get.

I prefer cargo type pants for several reasons. One is that they're loose. I can wear thermals under them in the winter for added warmth and they're easier to work in. They also have a lot of pockets and they're durable if you buy the right brand.

My lack of fashion comes from more of the fact that I really don't care what people think of me. When you go out who the heck are you trying to impress anyway? People that you'll never see again?

Lay low, fly under the radar, don't attract attention to yourself, be unassuming.

That's just my philosophy.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Most of the time I am in jeans and T shirts because I am on the farm .But I also speak to groups, and realize people take you for what they see first time, so business wear,my hair up and makeup are for these occasions.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
When I don't have to dress up, which is most of the time. I wear denim shorts/jeans/sweatpants, a tee shirt and sneakers. My hair is in a bun or pony tail, and I hardly wear makeup.

I've dressed this way in my off hours since graduating HS.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
When I go out I dress way down and look like I am just another mother on welfare...that way people don't think I have anything of value. But I am also the type that sneaks all things I buy into the house after it is late.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would guess that to walk around undetected, you'd have to blend in with the surrounding people- you'd stand out like a sore thumb in a designer dress and pumps when everyone is wearing jeans and T shirts, likewise you'd stand out if you were the one wearing the jeans and everyone else had the dresses.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I hide in plain sight I guess. I'm a Red Hat Society member and Queen of my own chapter.
Anytime a group of women go out in big red hats and purple clothes we get
noticed. I enjoy my monthly time out with the girls. In my everyday life I
wear jeans and tee shirts with snickers. I too keep my hair pulled up in a
ponytail and wear no makeup and I like it that way. My friends that do
visit our home don't wander around but our storage is kept closed so
that isnt a problem. I just try to be myself... the sweet, easy going
middle aged grandma, who loves her grandkids, huband and cat. If only
they knew.:D:

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
You don't really need to blend in. People are stupid.

Oktx- it occured to me that this could only happen in Britain because they are so polite. Let's see this experiment done here!!! What a blast that would be!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't really try to purposely blend in, I guess I'm just a natural blender.;) From the outside though we look like the typical American family. No one would guess that at home we are doing all we can to be self-sufficient. Our home is very basic, and my husband always says that if someone is desperate enough to even think of coming here to steal something, they must need it more than we do.;)

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Its quite easy to blend in for me, I did it for years - how, I carried a lot of weight. In the Uk your virtually invisible when overweight, people just dont notice you, even walking into you numerous times.

Now Im the right weight I get noticed.

Now the serious bit, by wearing non-dominant colours such as browns, greens, greys you wont be noticed as much as reds, yellow, oranges, blues. Also wear a hat with a brim that covers your face, and never look anyone in the eyes. You can wear oversized clothes - I often do and boy people just dont look.

If you want to practice, then go out with your camera and take pictures, it teaches you about colour very quickly. That speck of red will totally ruin a wonderful picture.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts