Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what the ratio is for this? how much bleach to add to 5 gal? can you use any household bleach?:confused:
 

·
Forgiven
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-regular-bleach/faq/
Cloudy water: 1 drop per cup
Clear water: 1 drop per pint
Wait 15 minutes before drinking. If you don't smell a slight chlorine smell, repeat the process.

Bleach should not contain scent or detergent.
Bleach has a shelf life of 1 year.
You can remove a lot of the bleach smell by pouring water between two clean containers.
 

·
veldskoen no socks
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
I have just bought 5 lts of household bleach, will last a lifetime, get the regular un scented type. After watching Cody Lundin speak about this, he recommends 4 drops of bleach per quarter litre of water and allow to stand for thirty minutes before drinking.
 

·
I don't wanna talk about
Joined
·
436 Posts
I have just bought 5 lts of household bleach, will last six months....
Fixed it for ya' :thumb:

Here's what the EPA says:
http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm

It's two drop per quart/liter if you don't want to click through. But the real reason I posted the link is I own stock in a pool shock company :rolleyes:

I would never put bleach in my water. Bleach will give you the runs and can make you very sick. Get a water filter.
That's just silly. They don't call it Tejas revenge for a reason. Public water in first world countries is treated with halogens, which is usually in the form of chlorine.
 

·
veldskoen no socks
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
Understand what you are saying, perhaps what I meant to say was rather that I had much more than I would ever need considering the physical amount needed to make the water potable. However thanks for clarifying the point, dont want to mislead Folk.
 

·
veldskoen no socks
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
I would never put bleach in my water. Bleach will give you the runs and can make you very sick. Get a water filter.
The chlorine will dissipate after about 12 hours anyway and the smell will have gone also, as mentioned most of the water you have had in your life will have been treated with chlorine anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Rather than bleach, go to your local pool store. Buy straight Pool Shocker (with no buffers). You can buy a 1lb. bag of Calcium Hypochlorite for $5-7. Will do 10,000 gallons of water per lb. WARNING: Be extremely careful in storage and handling. Basically one small pinch per gallon. Leave in sunlight for about 4 hours and most chlorine will gas off.

WARNING: Handle with care. This stuff is real concentrated and can be very bad in concentrated form should it come in contact with water. Read all the handling instructions.

But for $6 to have a resource to handle 10,000 gallons is a nice option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pool shock never thought of that. i use it at work all summer. might just have to lose a few bags:thumb:
 

·
Forgiven
Joined
·
2,296 Posts
I would never put bleach in my water. Bleach will give you the runs and can make you very sick. Get a water filter.
In 1994 in Haiti, we got our water from a Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit. It was pure and tasted excellent. One day, somebody remembered bacteria can grow after it is bottled. They decided twice the recommended amount of bleach would be better and everybody in the camp who was eating anything besides MREs got the runs. Everybody eating MREs went from blocked to normal. :thumb:

I carry a Katadyn Mini in my BOB and an Aquamira Frontier filter in the car, but I would use bleach before I died of dehydration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Only vaguely to topic, I am a big fan of the FirstNeed XL. It does not need any type of chemical additive unlike some of the others. Disadvantages? It's big and bulky and requires frequent backwashing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,561 Posts
the correct answer IMO is Both!.... A good filter system and pool shock is the way to go!

Given an option for drinking i'd use a filter system but i'll use pool shock if needed.

The real issue ...you could find yourself in a situation where all the water you have access to is tainted. In a long SHTF...You will want to treat all your water even for cleaning, bathing and it will be a waste...NO, a travesty! to use your nice drinking water filter system to filter dish cleaning water, clothes washing and water to clean the stinky unmentionable parts of your body.

So get pool shock it kills bacteria,virus and parasites and will sanitize every surface it comes in contact with and maintain good sanitation!
 

·
Super Gassy Moderator
Joined
·
66,676 Posts
8 drops per gallon of clear water or 16 drops per gallon of cloudy or suspect water. But remember, bleach has a short shelf life, measured in months. Calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) is a better alternative. It's cheap and stores for years. With it, you can make bleach as you need it for water purification or household sanitizing.
 

·
To the surface!
Joined
·
8,012 Posts
Good hint on the pool shocker. Beside the use to make potable water, it wouldn't be bad to have it to make bleach for disinfecting surfaces and so on. I would use just a bit of bleach if I had to (I have a Katadyn though) - it doesn't hurt to have just a bit of bleach along just in case, assuming it was in a strong tightly sealed container. You never know if/when your filter my break or be broken from something falling on it - and it would not hurt to flush some filters periodically with some bleached water.

Q: What about 'oxygen' pool shocker? Like Hydrogen Peroxide?
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top