Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
More Equal?
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To say we have an armadillo problem is an understatement!

They have totally destroyed the garden, about 80% of the new sprouts have all been turned over in the 1/2 acre garden.

This year has been the absolute worst for dillos for a few reasons. The biggest is I used to live at the house on this property and would be able to dispatch them. A guy at my age, you wake up about 3-4 times a night to go to the break room as I call it. So there was no need to set an alarm clock at night to go hunt them. (For you Yankees reading this, they only come out at night)

The next reason is it has been especially dry out so we have been irrigating and they only go to where you water, the turf grass and of course the garden.

There are 3 methods of getting rid of them that I know of.
  1. Hunting them, can only do between 11pm and 4am. This has been the most successful resolution... When I decide to spend the night in the old creepy house.
  2. Perimeter Control, we do have 2"x4" fencing but the property is 9 acres and there always seems to be a dig here and there.
  3. Trapping, We have tried putting live box traps on the inside of the fence digs with poor success. We have also used 2x6 boards propped on end, in the shape of a V, to funnel them into a trap. This has had limited success as well.

Unlike a coon or opossum, there is no bait they are attracted to.

Has anyone out there had any sort of success getting rid of their dillos?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
While they are present in my neighborhood, they are not seen on my property. Something about three farm dogs that keeps them away.
I live in northwest florida. Armadillos search and dig for small critters to eat and do a lot of damage to gardens while pursuing food by digging. They are mostly nocturnal and that is the best time to encounter them.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,636 Posts
The only way we ever got rid of ours was to just shoot them and then put the carcasses in the outlying area where we thought their paths were. Took a couple of months but they seemed to stop. Have to do it every year though.

My dad after shooting 2 to 3 of them in 1 night would then make a stew out of them from a great grandmothers recipe that has been passed down. Takes about 3 to 4 to make enough for several people. Tastes just like beef stew to me. MMMmm good.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I put down grub poison in the spring/fall. It keeps them away for that year, but I forgot to do my West yard last spring and it looks like I tilled it with the tractor.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
Since I have dogs poison is generally a no no. I just to do not like using such.

Grub poison does sound like it would work on the dillos

·
gardener & news junkie
3,112 Posts
The only success I've had was the trusty shotgun. The last one I shot was out and about around 8pm, kind of early but dark. Fortunately it was nicely lit up by the security light on the corner of the house. Easy shot.

Just make sure you're downwind. They're about blind and deaf but have an extra sharp sense of smell and if they catch wind of you, they'll boogie up in a heartbeat. The first time I ever saw one run I was shocked at how fast they are!

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Dogs are the way to go, get a pair of Jack Russells, best bang for the buck as a varmint dog.

My wife had family in St. Augustine Florida, we went to visit them around 1992 and the yard was all dug up. Moles I asked? Nope, armadillos going after grubs. The lawn looked like a war zone.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,372 Posts
I live in an urban area, so my property is not nearly so large as yours. Had some armadillos once. My neighbor and I both spread coyote urine (in a powder form) around the areas they frequent. That apparently did the trick.

Clearly not practical for 9 acres. But maybe for spots like your garden, etc. where they are a particular problem.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Dog Lives Matter
6,145 Posts
Perimeter Control, we do have 2"x4" fencing but the property is 9 acres and there always seems to be a dig here and there.
Can dillos climb a fence?

Some posts and chicken wire just for the primary garden area might keep them out. Lay some on the ground so they cannot dig.

A diversion area might work. In Minnesota, we always had squirrels and deer raiding the bird feeders until we set up separate feeders away from the bird feeders. Those feeders were filled with corn, which the squirrels and deer preferred. Is there a food the dillos prefer that could be set up in an unfenced patch away from the main garden?

Other than that, it might be fun to invest in a night vision scope.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
I live in an urban area, so my property is not nearly so large as yours. Had some armadillos once. My neighbor and I both spread coyote urine (in a powder form) around the areas they frequent. That apparently did the trick.

Clearly not practical for 9 acres. But maybe for spots like your garden, etc. where they are a particular problem.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Human urine works too. I had rabbits in my garden and I figured it was worth a shot. So I would pee along the fence where they were most likely getting in my yard. It works great and I have to touch it up about once a week.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,257 Posts
To say we have an armadillo problem is an understatement!

They have totally destroyed the garden, about 80% of the new sprouts have all been turned over in the 1/2 acre garden.

This year has been the absolute worst for dillos for a few reasons. The biggest is I used to live at the house on this property and would be able to dispatch them. A guy at my age, you wake up about 3-4 times a night to go to the break room as I call it. So there was no need to set an alarm clock at night to go hunt them. (For you Yankees reading this, they only come out at night)

The next reason is it has been especially dry out so we have been irrigating and they only go to where you water, the turf grass and of course the garden.

There are 3 methods of getting rid of them that I know of.
  1. Hunting them, can only do between 11pm and 4am. This has been the most successful resolution... When I decide to spend the night in the old creepy house.
  2. Perimeter Control, we do have 2"x4" fencing but the property is 9 acres and there always seems to be a dig here and there.
  3. Trapping, We have tried putting live box traps on the inside of the fence digs with poor success. We have also used 2x6 boards propped on end, in the shape of a V, to funnel them into a trap. This has had limited success as well.

Unlike a coon or opossum, there is no bait they are attracted to.

Has anyone out there had any sort of success getting rid of their dillos?

Box-style cage traps set at the corners of buildings and fences. I've noticed that armadillos like to travel close to things like that. They just plod along, right into the trap. Caught lots and lots of them that way.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
There are only two ways to deal with pest armadillos...

1. Lay ambush and kill them. A pitchfork is all you need. I used to pitchfork dozens per night.

2. Purchase some good gauge fencing, paint the lower 12" with vinyl paint and fence around the garden. The vinyl coated fencing will not deteriorate under the ground and will last for years. Utilize the fence b planting your beans and other vines around the perimeter.

*NOTE* - If you have chickens, they will pick every bean through the fence. If you have them, put chicken wire on the outside of the fence to prevent them from stealing your beans.

From my experience, urine doesn't work or works for only a short period of time. If they are hungry, they will take a chance in getting it being extra wary. This goes for any animal.

·
More Equal?
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have shot at my estimates over the last 12 years, maybe 300. About 30 per year. It does appear that this is the best way. I have paid employees to sit out all night and watch for them. Some have done it just for the fun of it.

This year, I only have 1 employee and he did it for a bit but was not to hip on staying up all night. The homestead 2 years ago was turned into a business and the bed room doesn't have a bed in it any more.

I think I am going to have to invest in a daybed and just sped some time here again.

I think getting out there and checking every inch of fencing so they stop coming in and then get rid of what's inside the fence with Mr. Remmington is the only way.

·
Start up the rotors
7,635 Posts
AR, suppressor, NV.
Make it fun!

Reactions: Iamfarticus

·
More Equal?
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KS, I did use my sr556 once vs the rem870 and it blew the inside out. Basically it was like taking a hotdog out of a hotdog bun,,, and just leaving the bun.

These things smell horrendous, some earlier said the eat them... Dude,,, it would have to be way way past an end of the world event for me ever to want to eat one of these things.

Another time I hit one with 00 at close range. It was like shooting a 2 litter bottle of pop, it exploded parts everywhere. Tip: Don't shoot at close range.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
If your in a area that you can use a fire arm....22 CB caps in a 22 carbine or pistol works pretty good and about the only good method I know of, that really works. If not I use a Compound Bow with a cheap broad head on the arrow. YMMV...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts