Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the school shooting range with my son,I was shooting my new XD9,my son with his 22mag single action.
A new teacher drives up with a few rifles and handguns,
I find out hes a math teacher and knows my wife a math teacher to.We start talking about what else guns,hes a gun nut I love it. After talking about guns for awhile, I start talking about the economy,and if the bailout passes were gonna get inflation, a total blank stare like I was speaking another launage.I ask what he thinks about what goin on with this country,not a single word,just stands there.It was so strange.I shoot a few more rounds pack up ,bid farewell and leave.WOW what was that all about
fear perhaps?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Having been a History teacher in past, I can tell you teachers are not the most informed people in the world. Their world either revolves around the kids or what they do when they leave the school. A degree does not make you an educated person. You also must remember, the bulk of the population would rather live in ignorance so that they don't have to live in fear. Fear comes from what we do not understand and what we think may happen. If we ignore it then it will go away.

As survivalists we have to be careful to always seek out the truth. I have been involved in survivalism for most of my life. My parents were survivalists. I still have articles of my dads from the 50s. One thing I learned from them was to question. Rumors tend to get a life of their own in our world. the truth tends to be even scarier than the rumors. You can't help people who don't want it. God Bless and keep working wiht your kids.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
De-nial.... It's not just a river in Egypt.... :upsidedown:

I was at the school shooting range with my son,I was shooting my new XD9,my son with his 22mag single action.
A new teacher drives up with a few rifles and handguns,
I find out hes a math teacher and knows my wife a math teacher to.We start talking about what else guns,hes a gun nut I love it. After talking about guns for awhile, I start talking about the economy,and if the bailout passes were gonna get inflation, a total blank stare like I was speaking another launage.I ask what he thinks about what goin on with this country,not a single word,just stands there.It was so strange.I shoot a few more rounds pack up ,bid farewell and leave.WOW what was that all about
fear perhaps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some people are in denial, some are scared, but most are clueless. It's just coming about now that all this with the bailout and everything is getting widespread media coverage that most people I talk to are beginning to see anything is awry at all. People as a whole in this country seem to just now be realizing that something is amiss.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ive noticed atleast where i live only me and my friend are the only ones contemplating how big this. rest of the people i know accept the older generation IE 50s 60s are the only ones realizing how bad this is. the rest of my younger friends dont have a clue at all i speak a whole another language compared to them

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,298 Posts
I think it's called Deer in Headlights Syndrome.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't know. I'm about as informed as they come. Throughout the day, I monitor dozens of news and financial sites for both domestic and foreign affairs. In the evening, I monitor the Asian markets and newswires. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I've managed to collect a few advanced degrees from decent schools, so I can't be that dumb.

Yet, I'm skeptical that this is "the" wake-up call. I believe that it could be, but don't think it will be.

There's still a lot of money out there, the rich are just hanging on to it. Credit isn't frozen. People with spotless credit can still get loans. In my new job, in fact, I just secured a sizeable loan for a company that has less than perfect credit. The ownes of the company are fine, just putting their money in t-bills. It will be those on the margins that suffer the most. Our society has always had a knack for tuning those people out.

What pisses me off the most is that the wall street movers and shakers are punishing the market b/c of a "loss of confidence in the banking system" and b/c the gov't won't "bail" them out. What it boils down to is that the rich want to have confidence that they can continue to act irresponsibly by gambling (leveraging) other people's money and know that there is a safety net for them.

Anyway, I don't think a shtf moment will occur until their is widespread social unrest. We might be uneasy, but the rest of the population is still fat and happy and content to "ride it out" with the hope that their 401(k)s will recover lost ground before they retire. It's going to take a great deal more to wake these people up.

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
I used to be a teacher

When I was a teacher, we were told we couldn't express ANY political views in the class room because it could sway the students in our direction. Instead if someone brought politics up to me I used to just stand there and look at them also. That is probably what that teacher did, called job security. Remember if a teacher isn't liked by the community they can easily find a way to fire the teacher, speeding tickets have gotten teachers fired at my old school.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The NEA is pushing Obama and being that Teachers and Police Officers do not buy houses like the rest of us people, they are not effected like we are.

So being that this is new teacher, he probably really is clueless about the financial going ons.

However :thumb: a gun totin teacher still in the system. There is a glimmer of hope.

http://www.nea.org/index.html This will take you to the NEA

I tried to find the link that shows the housing, but to be honest it is hidden in mounds of FHA HUD and other stuff. But basically a LOE or Teacher can purchase a house with the feds (tax payer) paying a large portion of it at a low intrest rate. On the outside the program has merit, but when I see it being used in small towns of less than 50,000 , then there is a problem.

East Los Angeles is one thing, but small towns?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Well, in my humble opinion there is a big difference between a teacher and an educator. Teaching is more akin to reciting (think ABC, 123...). The teachers of history, language geography, and psychology are the educators.

My educators had us doing reports on current affairs, Not much of that in Algebra.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
You've got a couple different options there.

First, you can ignore him for what he is, a fool. I don't use that term maliciously. Whether through ignorance or perfidy, he is not aware of the single largest issue in the American economy (and by extension the rest of the world) right now. Heaven forbid you even mention the interrelation of foreign economies with our own, for example the Brazilian stock market dropping 10% after the Bill failed. Brazil is the largest economy in South America btw... (you know how much beef we import from them?)

Second, you can try to educate him as to the reality of the situation. This could go either way. It might make you a new friend in a shooter with a desire for knowledge and truth. It could also be a terrible exercise in futility. In my experience, teachers are generally idiots. I just forwarded a link out to some friends from a local professor in the Economics department of my local UT branch university, interviewed by local news channel, where he describes our economy as "needing an ex-lax pill to get things moving again." This from a college professor!!! The best description he could come up with involves the gastrointestinal tract and excrement.

I would love it if you could convert him to the cause of Liberty and Intelligence. You will have to determine if this is possible and desirable on your part. Feel him out and see if there is even a glimmer of potential there. Otherwise, write him off as a failure. At the least, i would gift him with a copy of any books from John Taylor Gatto.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts