Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so this is my first question on here. We have several black walnut trees along our fence line, does anyone have any experience harvesting these nuts? I've read a bit, it seems the nut can be very difficult to extract. If anyone has any first hand experience with harvesting and storing them, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,201 Posts
Many, many moons ago I would help my Gramma with black walnuts. They turn everything around them black; wear gloves and old, disposable, clothes when shelling them. I was always the one who took the outer skin off, so I am not sure about cracking and shelling them.
She stored the meats in a plastic bag in the freezer.

I want to say that all the harvesting we did was on the ground, maybe to keep me from falling off a ladder....
Not sure how long they will store that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many, many moons ago I would help my Gramma with black walnuts. They turn everything around them black; wear gloves and old, disposable, clothes when shelling them. I was always the one who took the outer skin off, so I am not sure about cracking and shelling them.
She stored the meats in a plastic bag in the freezer.

I want to say that all the harvesting we did was on the ground, maybe to keep me from falling off a ladder....
Not sure how long they will store that way.
Lol, yeah, these trees are getting tall, I am thinking of gathering ground fall!

Harvest the nut, husk and all. Dump in driveway. Run over them with your car tire several times. Pick the nut up and store in dry place until use.
The hard part is cracking with a ball pien hammer to remove the best part. Excellent for walnut cake.
Thanks. Do you need to let them sit and dry out at all first?

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
you prolly already do this,,, but its especially good for we old codgers for whom bending down is possible, but straightening back up without aid is a challenge

Any waze,, to the point, spreading old sheets under the trees to catch the nuts , and then just gather the corners together and you have made a sack to carry them indoors and the family can sit on the floor on the sheets to husk and smack em

·
Survivor
17,641 Posts
We just had this discussion in the last week or two, but I let them fall, gather them up, let dry, stand the nut pointy side up on a firm surface (cement or anvil) and give it a whack with a hammer. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of it so you don't end up with powdered nut meats though. Grand kids are great for this but they eat more than they save <G>.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Black walnut is a useful plant the husks soaked in water make an excellent green to deep brown dye
The tree itself is alleopathic it uses chemical warfare on other plants. All parts contain tanins and can be
Used for tanning skins.
As stated above wear gloves it will help but be prepared for dark hands
We harvest the husks for dye so I have the kids smack them with a dead blow hammer remove the nut to
One screen and the husk to another for drying.
Opening the nut has been covered a lot of work but worth the effort

·
Survivor
17,641 Posts
Black walnut is a useful plant the husks soaked in water make an excellent green to deep brown dye
The tree itself is alleopathic it uses chemical warfare on other plants. All parts contain tanins and can be
Used for tanning skins.
As stated above wear gloves it will help but be prepared for dark hands
We harvest the husks for dye so I have the kids smack them with a dead blow hammer remove the nut to
One screen and the husk to another for drying.
Opening the nut has been covered a lot of work but worth the effort
Black walnuts make for the absolute best brownies and chocolate candies. :D:

·
prepared for life & death
2,503 Posts
Harvest the nut, husk and all. Dump in driveway. Run over them with your car tire several times. Pick the nut up and store in dry place until use.
The hard part is cracking with a ball pien hammer to remove the meat. Excellent for walnut cake.
+1, this is the easiest way I have found so far. I have a dirt/gravel drive so i'm not worried about stains. Definately use gloves, Get nitril or heavy latex. I tried leather gloves first. Soaked right through. Have a bushel and a half (before hulling) picked up so far and more on the ground than i care to fool with. Rinse them off good after hulling and let dry for 2-6 weeks. Someone gave this link in another thread. Definately has good info.... http://www.gardenoffriendship.org/gardening/articles/vol0310aletha.html

·
M.R. Ducks
19,365 Posts
The tree itself is alleopathic it uses chemical warfare on other plants.
Yep. Do not use their leaves in compost you plan to use in your garden. I've read you can use mulch made from black walnut leaves, twigs and bark to prevent plants from growing someplace they shouldn't. I've been meaning to try that out in the center of my gravel driveway, when I collect enough.

Also, could a golf ball shagger be useful in picking up walnuts?

Amazon.com : The Original Bag Shag Golf Ball Shagger : Golf Ball Retrievers : Sports & Outdoors

·
2,503 Posts
Yep. Do not use their leaves in compost you plan to use in your garden. I've read you can use mulch made from black walnut leaves, twigs and bark to prevent plants from growing someplace they shouldn't. I've been meaning to try that out in the center of my gravel driveway, when I collect enough.

Also, could a golf ball shagger be useful in picking up walnuts?

Amazon.com : The Original Bag Shag Golf Ball Shagger : Golf Ball Retrievers : Sports & Outdoors
Well that's depressing to read since I put about a basketfull of old husks in my compost pile:xeye:. Guess i'll use it to fill holes and start another one. The only thing that might save it is the size. Around 4 ft square and 3 or 4 ft high.

·
M.R. Ducks
19,365 Posts

·
2,503 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts