Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
There is no technical reason why it would not be feasible to build a modern, strong stainless or alloy steel revolver which would have thick-walled, bottle-shaped chambers, threaded to insert from the rear with captive primer,
dimensioned to hold no more than a .45 ACP "hardball" equivalent charge of smokeless powder, which would use modern jacketed bullets, breech-loaded into the charge holes, the smokeless charge filling the chamber inserts, being poured in and struck off then inserting the threaded charge tubes holding captive 209 shotshell primers tightening home with a spanner. Sell the gun with two cylinders and extra charge tubes so that you have several reloads.
Do all of that and its not really a muzzle loader anymore is it? And all this because someday someone may take your smokeless pistol away.

If 18-20 years olds can't own a handgun I guess they will just have to wait for a couple of years. I don't even know an 18 year old who even wants a BP revolver. They all want fast firing semi autos. And what they really want are good jobs and girlfriends. Guns aren't really on their minds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Do all of that and its not really a muzzle loader anymore is it? And all this because someday someone may take your smokeless pistol away.

If 18-20 years olds can't own a handgun I guess they will just have to wait for a couple of years. I don't even know an 18 year old who even wants a BP revolver. They all want fast firing semi autos. And what they really want are good jobs and girlfriends. Guns aren't really on their minds.
I got my first black powder revolver at 18 through the mail it was a Remington kit in 36 and I bought a little nickel plating kit to finish it with

Legally it’s still a muzzle loader just like this is

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I got my first black powder revolver at 18 through the mail it was a Remington kit in 36 and I bought a little nickel plating kit to finish it with

Legally it’s still a muzzle loader just like this is

The diablo is exactly what I was thinking of when a modern 209 primed revolver was mentioned.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I like the single shot pistols. I keep saying I can shoot 12 shots faster with a single shot than a guy with a loaded revolver can if he has to load the second cylinder from loose balls, caps and powder. But with some pre-made loads a revolver can be recharged fairly faster.

I would like a 54 caliber Lyman Plains Pistol but I'm not going to pay what they are asking for them now. Some day I will run across a beater that needs to be refurbed and I will get that and redo the gun. I used to do that back in the 1990s-2000s when the pawn shops had rough looking guns for sale cheap.

I have a couple of CVA SS in 45 caliber. One with about a 4" barrel and the second has around an 8" barrel. Both were bought new as kits others had started and didn't finish. The small one was $25 and the other $110. Both worth what I paid for them. No paperwork and guns no one would look at twice.

My bud has a CVA Derringer and one day while out doing a bridge inspection for the county on a bridge they were replacing he shot the steel guard rail with the 45. He said it blew a hole through the steel rail big enough you could stick your thumb through it. Thats not bad for a 125gr ball pushed by 30grs of powder.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts