Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Colorado, which is becoming San Francisco in the Rockies.
And my oldest son wants to move there by April. He is leaving early friday morning to go up there and scout around for a week. I didn't realize Colorado had gone so far left. I remember when it was wild and free. I think too many from the land of Fruits and Nuts have moved there like they have invaded Austin here in Tx.

Reactions: trubulator

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Honestly I wouldn't feel unarmed with a 1862 pocket 36 loaded with a round ball. What I tried to recommend above was a compromise between something like the ROA which is very expensive today and a extra cheap brass frame 36. But the brass frame 36 would get the job done if needed just shooting it too often with too heavy a load tends to cause issues

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Yep a 36 would be fine too. Anything just so you have a means to protect yourself at longer than contact range. I have two .45 caliber single shots for when it really gets down and dirty. Single shots were all there was before Colt made the revolver common. Even after the revolver came out single shots were still in use for many years after.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Buying Christmas present at Sportsman’s Warehouse the other day, they had quite a lot of black powder stuff. I don’t know much about it, but the shelves weren’t empty. The primer shelves were still empty.
I stocked up on BP stuff a long time ago. And now I'm glad I did. have over 30 pounds of powder and 8,000 caps on hand plus lead and bullet molds. I do need to find another revolver but its not an emergency that I do. Maybe I should take advantage of the black friday sales.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I stocked up on BP stuff a long time ago. And now I'm glad I did. have over 30 pounds of powder and 8,000 caps on hand plus lead and bullet molds. I do need to find another revolver but its not an emergency that I do. Maybe I should take advantage of the black friday sales.
Probably too late for me. I don’t have anything. I’ve only fired one a couple times, many years ago.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Probably too late for me. I don’t have anything. I’ve only fired one a couple times, many years ago.
I really enjoy shooting my BP rifles. Much more than the handguns. I have killed one deer and one elk with a BP rifle and they hit hard. I have killed 30 deer and two elk and everyone of those could have been killed with a BP rifle save one deer shot at 250 yards. All my rifles are sidelocks. I have never owned one of the inlines and never will.

I just checked MidwayUSA and virtually every BP revolver they carry is "Out of stock, no backorder". So much for that idea of a Black Friday buy. I don't need another gun anyway.

Reactions: rustednail

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lot for sale on gunbroker from really cheap to super expensive. They even have a stainless steel Uberti 1851 navy which is very rare.

I never actually owned one but a steel framed 44 caliber “navy” would be a good alternative to the Remington.

It is actually an Army with navy sized grips and octagon barrel. “navy” in percussion revolvers represents caliber not style so technically a 36 is a belt or “navy” revolver. That’s why the 36 caliber pockets were called “pocket revolver of navy caliber”

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I really enjoy shooting my BP rifles. Much more than the handguns. I have killed one deer and one elk with a BP rifle and they hit hard. I have killed 30 deer and two elk and everyone of those could have been killed with a BP rifle save one deer shot at 250 yards. All my rifles are sidelocks. I have never owned one of the inlines and never will.

I just checked MidwayUSA and virtually every BP revolver they carry is "Out of stock, no backorder". So much for that idea of a Black Friday buy. I don't need another gun anyway.
You don’t need another gun? I need two more, without thinking very hard.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Lot for sale on gunbroker from really cheap to super expensive. They even have a stainless steel Uberti 1851 navy which is very rare.
I no longer deal with Gunbroker after they charged me an extra $89 dollars for some guns I sold. I have emailed them repeatedly and they will not answer my emails to get this resolved. By the time you pay the taxes and extra fees GB now charges you are better off finding other on line sellers that sell direct. I would rather pay extra to Dixie or someone else than buy from GB.

I wouldn't buy a Uberti because of their well known short arbor issues.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Here are a few places to check with other than gunbroker.

There are others if you just do a google search.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Uberti arbors are an easy fix if you pull the pdf files from here it covers just about every tuning trick although washers and a little grease is a good temp fix

What I often do is find something on gunbroker then go to the sellers website, usually easy to decipher, and purchase there. I use it more as a search tool than a purchase one. I have sold some there but not much.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
What I often do is find something on gunbroker then go to the sellers website, usually easy to decipher, and purchase there. I use it more as a search tool than a purchase one. I have sold some there but not much.
There you go. I had a couple of BP revolver sellers on my bookmark list until I bought my NMA from Cabelas. And thats was how I got their names. They listed in the descriptions that you could buy direct from them. That gets you away from GB.

I removed my CC and preferred transfer person from my GB account. I expect them to close my account any time. Good riddance.

You shouldn't have to buy a gun from Uberti and then do a bunch of work on it to make it right. I have read those files. The Pietta versions of the Colt you don't have to work on. But I'm like everyone else. I think the Remington is just a better design.

I checked Midway again and they do have a few of the Pietta Colts in stock.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This is probably the best video on the question of BP revolvers for SD. He does not recommend them if you have any other options. Frankly I would rather use the money for a BP revolver and buy extra ammo or a reloading kit with supplies for the smokeless powder rounds I shoot now. A BP revolver is a last ditch gun for me. He does make the point that "Any gun is better than no gun". I couldn't agree more.

Reactions: AlphaSierraCharlie

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Not everyone in every state can buy a pistol due to age or other factors. That is where a BP revolver becomes viable

What I do wonder is why no one has made a inline 209 primer’d double action revolver possibly the market isn’t there

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
In states where you can't own a smokeless gun most likely don't allow BP either.

BP revolvers are already inline ignition and a 209 primer may have too much force. If the powder is good and the flash hole clear normal caps provide all the spark needed. I never had a failure to fire because a cap wasn't hot enough. I don't remember ever having a cylinder go off because of a plugged nipple either except when I tried caps made in a tap o cap cap maker.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
There is no technical reason why it would not be feasible to build a modern, strong stainless or alloy steel revolver which would have thick-walled, bottle-shaped chambers, threaded to insert from the rear with captive primer,
dimensioned to hold no more than a .45 ACP "hardball" equivalent charge of smokeless powder, which would use modern jacketed bullets, breech-loaded into the charge holes, the smokeless charge filling the chamber inserts, being poured in and struck off then inserting the threaded charge tubes holding captive 209 shotshell primers tightening home with a spanner. Sell the gun with two cylinders and extra charge tubes so that you have several reloads.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There is no technical reason why it would not be feasible to build a modern, strong stainless or alloy steel revolver which would have thick-walled, bottle-shaped chambers, threaded to insert from the rear with captive primer,
dimensioned to hold no more than a .45 ACP "hardball" equivalent charge of smokeless powder, which would use modern jacketed bullets, breech-loaded into the charge holes, the smokeless charge filling the chamber inserts, being poured in and struck off then inserting the threaded charge tubes holding captive 209 shotshell primers tightening home with a spanner. Sell the gun with two cylinders and extra charge tubes so that you have several reloads.
For about $1500 a pop?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts