·
Preparing for tomorrow
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
More preppers out there? Maybe.

I feel that a larger percentage of society has began to pull their heads out of their collective azzes and have started to understand that the government has no clue how to preserve prosperity, that citizens are going to have to provide for themselves, even their own security.......hence; more gun purchases.

On the other hand, guns are cool. :D:
This could be the reason for more sales.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
Not surprising, really. There were good deals on Black Friday on guns. I saw several that were really tempting.

And, with so much unrest, like with the OWS protests (4,000+ arrests, and general mayhem), and rising crime, people are concerned.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
No, it doesn't. Just because someone buys a gun, are they a prepper?

How about if someone buys a candle or a torch...Does that make them a prepper, or just someone who wants to see in the dark?
I would agree with this. These gun sales might be the result of fear, or for self defense, or people taking advantage of low prices to add to their collections. Although prepping DOES seem to be becoming more mainstream, the buying of firearms alone isn't all that good a sign. In fact it might be a bad sign. Imagine all those people with guns and no supplies in a prolonged crisis, and how many of them might think "I've got a gun; I'm just take what I need!"

·
Registered
22,015 Posts
I would agree with this. These gun sales might be the result of fear, or for self defense, or people taking advantage of low prices to add to their collections. Although prepping DOES seem to be becoming more mainstream, the buying of firearms alone isn't all that good a sign. In fact it might be a bad sign. Imagine all those people with guns and no supplies in a prolonged crisis, and how many of them might think "I've got a gun; I'm just take what I need!"
Double edged sword. As a pro-gun guy, I tend to applaud any advances made that strengthens the gun owning public. By the same token, though, there are a lot of evil people out there, too.

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
99 Posts
Black Friday is by far, THE biggest shopping day of the year, as I'm sure you all know. It makes sense that there would be a lot of guns sold. I read that a lot of the big-box retailers do 25-40% of their sales for THE ENTIRE YEAR in just that one day, so it's probably a combination of hunting season, good deals, and people being out there with cash to spend.

It probably doesn't mean that more people are getting into prepping - yet. But more people are definitely getting into shooting, and that's the first step to prepping for a lot of folks. I know it was for me, anyway. Personally, I'd never been a prepper. I bought my first gun after a buddy was killed by some thugs, and before long I was shooting competitively. One of the forums I went to for shooting advice and gun classifieds had a "survival" section, and after reading it - and thinking it was hilarious - on a few occasions, it kind of sat in the back of my head for a few months. After a couple power outages and some rioting in England, the rest is history. Now I don't even get into the shower or go to the corner store without my AR, a few thousand rounds of hollowpoints, and a mile or two of paracord. /sarcasm. I DO think that more people are waking up to the fact that the gubm't can't protect them, and that we need to get back to being a country with some individual responsibility, so that's a good thing. But no, I don't think there are terribly more people getting into prepping just yet.

·
Ready for the big "push"
1,473 Posts
Don't know if this has anything to do with it but last week a friend of mine and fellow prepper e mailed me. Said that a lot of his liberal friends had been increasing their chatter on Facebook lately about the overall economic crisis going on and how they were starting to stock up on every day items like food, etc. He innocently started asking some of them what was going on. Most came back with the statement that NPR radio had done a couple of news stories about the problems going on in Europe with Greece and the other countries that are having debt problems. As he said, nice to see how the sheeple haven't been following the news the past 2 or 3 years.

·
Survivalist & proud of it
219 Posts
More preppers? Yes, at least in my area of the country. Various degrees, but everything from being very concerned about whether we can avoid a collapse, to homesteaders, to preppers, to survivalists, to militias. I do not speak to anyone in this area that does not fall into one of those categories...with the exception of my own children unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Prepper or just Prepared?

No, it doesn't. Just because someone buys a gun, are they a prepper?

How about if someone buys a candle or a torch...Does that make them a prepper, or just someone who wants to see in the dark?
All joking aside, I would say yes they are preppers.

So is the guy who buys a can of Fix-A-Flat for their trunk or puts a bottle of water in his backpack before stepping out on the trail for a hike.

And yes, if someone has a pocketknife in their pocket, they're prepping as well.

Are they "well-prepped"? Probably not.

Does buying a gun make you a prepper? Maybe. Did you begin OC'ing it or get your permit for CC (those are up significantly in most places as well)?

However, if you are walking out of your building tonight and a mugger threatens you with a knife, you pull your 1911 and stop the threat, are you a prepper?

What about this guy?

Prepper or just "prepared"? What is the difference?

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
i went to gander mountain on thanks giving night to buy ammo. there were 6 lines each more then an hour long just to look at/buy guns. when i butted to the front of the counter after waiting a half hour for help with ammo that was not where itt should have been i was tolds by the guy at the gun counter. "if your not buying a gun, we dont have time to help you"!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was ****ed. i went to the manager up front who proptly told me they had sold out of my desired ammo. he gave me a different brand that cost twice as much for the sales price of the first. i only bought 2 boxs bu wish i had more money so i could have really aken advantage of that situation. he then gave me 2 free 30 minutes passes to use the indoor range. i can only imagine if that was on thanksgiving night, the next day must have been rediculous.

good luck finding ammo folks. with all the new guns out there, your caliber of choice may be slim pickins

Reactions: neosurvivalist

·
BUY AMERICAN
185 Posts
All joking aside, I would say yes they are preppers.

So is the guy who buys a can of Fix-A-Flat for their trunk or puts a bottle of water in his backpack before stepping out on the trail for a hike.

And yes, if someone has a pocketknife in their pocket, they're prepping as well.

Are they "well-prepped"? Probably not.

Does buying a gun make you a prepper? Maybe. Did you begin OC'ing it or get your permit for CC (those are up significantly in most places as well)?

However, if you are walking out of your building tonight and a mugger threatens you with a knife, you pull your 1911 and stop the threat, are you a prepper?

What about this guy?

William Shatner on Gun Control - YouTube

Prepper or just "prepared"? What is the difference?
Love that video...."Thank God for Guns."

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
This to me is good news any day of the week! Those in power shake and tremble when they see people that every day are harder to subdue. The last thing I want for my country is for it to end up like a european union lite.....its already heading there, but firearms is the monkey wrench, and possibly our last line of defense.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,209 Posts
Not necessarily prepper related. I think it's just part of a growing trend. I'm a gun show vendor, and for the last few years I've seen a large increase in first time buyers. Mostly handguns for home protection or CCW. People originally were reacting to the increase in violent crime. But with the economy having problems, they're reacting even more because they know it's going to cause crime to increase.

Then there was the uncertainty of Obama. That caused a huge surge in black rifle sales. And with the election coming up again, that could be causing another spike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts