Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently began the watching of food networks "Bizzare Foods" show .... and I beg you ALL to watch this. They show what people eat from all over the world ... ants, junebugs, brains, eyes of sheep and cow, fish heads, pancreas, sea creatures, plants found in the forests of the world ...... If you wouldnt die from eating it Andrew Zimmer (sp?) eats it and tells you the texture and taste of it and how they cook it.
Coming from a society where if it dosent taste like beef or chicken people wont eat it, I find it facinating how he eats these things with relish (not the pickle kind LOL!) It's amazing! Food is everywhere ... if you know where to look and what to look for.

I guess this thread is ....
A: watch this show ..... you'll learn alot about foods not in our norm
B: anyone have bizzare recipies to share? (I apologize as I dont but am willing to try anything to expand my palate)

·
Registered
125 Posts
After watching a few episodes I realized that people eat whatever happens to live where they do, if that's bugs then that's bugs. It's not "odd" to eat bugs, it's perfectly normal and what we are "meant" to eat. What is not normal i purchasing packaged food off a shelf, and twinkies and stuff.

I just watched an episode of surivorman and he was eating "witchity grubs" in austrailia. Apparently they were actually tasty. I was curious about the taste and decided if I had an opportunity to eat them I would have to pretend they were shrimp.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I love that type of attitude toward food. Getting my wife to try something other than cereal and turkey sandwiches is like pulling teeth (which may be a good idea if she's not going to send anything good past them!! ;)). And you're right, we need to be apt to eating whatever will provide nutrition regardless of how comfortable we may or may not be with it. Flexibility is a major part of survival.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The Chinese say you can every thing whose back does not point to heaven (so that excludes me and thee but everything else is on the table.)

People are habituated about food. You can't even get them to change what they eat at meals. I grew up in a family that had its largest meal in the morning, less at noon, and even less for supper, so one would have a regular dinner at breakfast. People who eat a traditional breakfast can't imaging having spaghetti and meatballs for breakfast.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
The one thing that Andrew Zimmer can't eat is Durian fruit, which supposedly smells just awful. He seems to like Beef tounge a lot which is something I haven't tried, has anyone here?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes beef Tongue

I remember my mom making beef tongue when I grew up and I didn't like it--It wasn't the thought of where it came from that I didn't like it was the texture of it. The taste was beefy but the texture off--I haven't made it in my adult life--however if I was down on my luck and it was available would have no problem.

I recently purchased a quarter of beef and also ordered extra oxtails---oxtails are wonderful and can be braised and used in a number of ways.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I remember eating it as a kid and it was offal. :p

Well it really was awful. The texture was the worst. Didn't like the taste either. The other gross thing we had as a kid was steak and kidney pie. I can still remember the taste of kidneys. I count those two experiences as among the formative moments of my life as a vegetarian.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts

Well it really was awful. The texture was the worst. Didn't like the taste either. The other gross thing we had as a kid was steak and kidney pie. I can still remember the taste of kidneys. I count those two experiences as among the formative moments of my life as a vegetarian.
I saw zimmer eating uterus on one show....ugh
organ meats don't seem too appealing

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I saw zimmer eating uterus on one show....ugh
organ meats don't seem too appealing
Depends on the organ and how is is prepared.

Liver and onions--mmmm
Chicken Gizzards---mmmm
Lingua (beef tongue) Tacos -----mmmmm
Menudo---mmmmmm
beef heart---mmmmmm

eyeball stew--forgeta bout it.

About the show--It makes me hungry. I quit watching it because the host annoys me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

The only problem with kidneys is that you have to boil the **** out of them:D:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
No I have not. But I have had the rest.

I was watching "Taboo" on Nat Geo and they had a follow up episode on food. They featured a man in India who was doing his version of a straw poll on organ foods. He prepared various organs and one of them was a stew of eyballs. I guess it would be a texture thing to me, but the black goo that shot out of the eyeball when bitten into was just nasty--and all but one of the testers did not care for it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The one thing that Andrew Zimmer can't eat is Durian fruit, which supposedly smells just awful. He seems to like Beef tounge a lot which is something I haven't tried, has anyone here?
They have durian flavored ice cream at a place near my house. Tried it...hated it:D:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just watched an episode of surivorman and he was eating "witchity grubs" in austrailia. Apparently they were actually tasty. I was curious about the taste and decided if I had an opportunity to eat them I would have to pretend they were shrimp.
i too watched that episode and he made them sound so good. he said they taste like peanuts, which sounds like itd be acurate. they are probably the grubs that i wouldnt have a problem tasting.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
I have tried this once...the smell is god awful I mean foul beyond belief...but it tastes amazing...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
A friend at work used to bring Balut and try to get us to eat it, Not my ideal snack. (fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts