Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
AWESOME! thx for sharing this. i saw 1 made on youtube before but not as good. i liked how intriquet he was with the work. everything was really delicate & the way he was splitting super thin peices of wood was cool. how cool would it be to have the skills to do that. i bet he's built at least 100 of those since he was a kid.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
D'oh! KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches are wonderful, but it took me about 3 minutes of trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound before I realized I was using the computer that did not have speakers attached. Guess In need a KVM *S* switch.

I've just embarked on a project to build a cedar strip canoe. Eventually I want to make a birch bark one too so this link is particularly interesting - thanks.

BTW, Ray Mears did an episode on his Bushcraft series about building a birch-bark canoe. If this is a topic of interest to you, you may want to look for it.

-Per.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Just finished watching the whole thing. (Turns out the sound was nice but not really necessary.)

Very good, entertaining and informative. Thanks again for the link.

-Per.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D'oh! KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches are wonderful, but it took me about 3 minutes of trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any sound before I realized I was using the computer that did not have speakers attached. Guess In need a KVM *S* switch.

I've just embarked on a project to build a cedar strip canoe. Eventually I want to make a birch bark one too so this link is particularly interesting - thanks.

BTW, Ray Mears did an episode on his Bushcraft series about building a birch-bark canoe. If this is a topic of interest to you, you may want to look for it.

-Per.
Hehe, thats funny :upsidedown: the sound is just for ambience on this one as i am shure you figgured out.

I really look up to you folk building such things straight from the nature, i hope one day i get the opurtunity to make a canoe myself...think you will get really in peace with yourself and the nature doing these projects...and when you are finished you will be surrounded by genuine satisfaction :D:

Have seen everything with Ray Mears and iam a great fan of earthlings like him!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AWESOME! thx for sharing this. i saw 1 made on youtube before but not as good. i liked how intriquet he was with the work. everything was really delicate & the way he was splitting super thin peices of wood was cool. how cool would it be to have the skills to do that. i bet he's built at least 100 of those since he was a kid.
Jepp, looked like he had done it a fev times before!!! The skills he got with tools are the best i have seen...every movement was really genuine.:thumb:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've helped make both birchbark and wood strippers. Was a member of the WCHA for the longest time. (Wooden Canoe Heritage Association). Birchbark is by far harder, and not foregiving of hackwork.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fantastic!!!

I very much enjoyed the video, Thanks so much for the link. It never fails to impress me how resourceful natives are. If only we could have a time in this modern age to have resources available like these and use them to there fullest. I hope to be able to do some of these types of things. Having grow up doing Mountain Man Rendevous, I was able to learn a few things from the old timers.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It really makes me miss the adirondaks growing up. Nothing compares to the solitude of a canoe in six inches of water paddling through the Adirondacks thats never seen man for a thousand years. Most of these places are only accessible by canoe.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
That was nuts. One of the best things I've watched in a long time. I sat enthralled the whole time. Almost went ballistic when the video froze up about 40 minutes in. Said a few choice words before restarting Firefox and getting back to watching the video.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Adirondacks!! My uncle, a forester by education, a hardware store owner by necessity, and a teenage camper that would go into the wilderness, for weeks, with a rifle, a knife, and a hatchet, no lie!! Would take me as a young pup down 8th lake to Old Forge Point in a canoe, with some food, but we fished the whole way, built fires, made shelters, and ate real well. Those were the days!!! Sorry off topic!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts