Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches and read alot of post here and the one subject i don't see covered a lot is biological warfare. This is the one situation I am the most concern about. In the event of a pandemic, weather it is man made or naturaly occuring, this is the one SHTF event that will make it nessacary to avoid people completly. The speed at which germs spread in todays world is alarming. The only thing that has held off the use of these weapons is that no country that has them is crazy enough to use them. But we all know those days are long gone. You don't have to infect the whole country to make a SHTF situation, just use enough to scare everyone out of population centers, fear will do the rest.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Barricade your home or go to your cabin in the mountains.

Wear goggles and a mask out in public.

You could probably just try to survive until somebody comes up with a cure or vaccine.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You would have to affect a real Quarantine. There's an old article with some suggestions I'll try to find and post.

Unfortunately there is no "nice" way to do this. You have to realize that contact with infected (depending on agent) will likely result in your getting sick. Therefore the "I'll still go to work" theory probably will not hold water in a real biological emergency.

I'm not going to trust my family's life to paper masks and play toys.

Lowdown3

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
This situation scares me the most. It's one thing if it's riots,food shortages,even Chinese or Russian troops. Some sort of plague it could be too late before you even knew it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
WIth Bio weapons you usually don't know you have been infected till several days or weeks later. This allows for a carrier of the strain to move about and spread the virus or infection to a number of others and it becomes exponential in its growth. That is one of the reasons you want to be as prepared as you can early on. Areas like water supplies are a prime target in most warfare plans.

For things like Sars (Human Corona Virus) you need to have a world class disinfectant on hand to clean up any area you are going to live in. Avian Flu is another. If you use disinfectants please be sure to use them according to directions. More is not always better.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do worry about the invisible threats more than the ones I can see coming. I do more worrying about the flu than biological weapons. Mainly because I can only prepare so much for bio weapons. Having a job where I work with disease, I believe I have done this. But flu or even a disease that wipes out cows or chickens or pigs or potatoes is a worry. Whole civilizations have been tested by simple things like the potato blight that killed millions. The 1918 flu pandemic touched most families at the time. Even minor outbreaks of typhus in the 1800s could kill most people of certain towns.

I always hear bout quarentining ones self and ones family. The question is for how long? Forever? Those who don't quarentine themselves and are then exposed to the disease build up an immunity. They may not be able to get sick but they can still spread the disease. So you emerge from your quarentine a year later and meet up with all the survivors that still are infected. I would think that one would just need to quarentine themselves long enough for one person to survive and their blood be used as an antigen. If one couldn't be found though a family would have to stay forever locked away because once a disease evolves enough to affect us, it's out there forever.

I think a bit too much about this, but then again I work with diseases. To me, unchecked Mad Cow disease is more scary than airplanes flying into buildings. I have stopped eating meat that is part of the system. It wouldn't take terrorist to really play havoc with Americans just because they are so reliant on others giving them food for dollars. All it would take is a rancher bringing in effected cows or creating the disease to wipe out many people.

Tury

1 - 6 of 6 Posts