Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure where to post this.

The best pair I ever had was Bushnell Custom 7x35. My 12th birthday at a pawn shop. $25.

Edit: So, my Dad said I could have anything I wanted, up to $25, for my 12th birthday. Granted, this was early 1970's.

I wanted a good pair of binoculars and had seen the Bushnell Custom in magazines and old Herters and Cabelas catalogs for $200. I knew they were out of reach for me.

We went to visit all the stores and pawn shops in the area. NOTHING!
Late in the day, Dad says let's try one more place. We walked in that last pawn shop, in Saginaw MI, and the first thing I see in the glass case is a set of Bushnell Customs. For $25!

I was in Heaven! Best birthday present I can remember.

I had them for many years and they were damaged by a friend in 1998. I sent them to Bushnell for repair and they said they were obsolete and couldn't be repaired. They offered to let me buy a comparable pair, at cost. I ended up buying the Bausch and Lomb Discoverers for $200. That was their second best, at the time, and retailed around $500. Their best was the Elite, which retailed for around $1,000, and I could've gotten for $600.

Fast forward to today!
I found a pair of the old Customs for $75. They're still just as good as I remember. Amazing glass and brings back so many happy memories.

I also found a pair of Bushnell Marine 7x50's today on "that list" for $25. BNIB!

And picturing the Fujinons I got 5 years ago, on the same list, for $25.

So, for $325 I have some really nice glass. They're as good as my eyes will ever need. I've looked through Swaro's and Leicas, etc and can't justify the cost.
If you're looking for a decent pair of binoculars, at a reasonable price, don't overlook these hidden gems.

Bushnell Custom 7x35

·
Dirt Dweller
645 Posts
My favorite binocs are my boating ones. Fujinon 7x50. Large, easy to hold with a large field of view. It even has a built in compass with a red light for night viewing. Also have two very smal 9 power pairs of binocs I used to use while hunting. Both pairs are packed away in various Bug out or Get home boxes.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My favorite binocs are my boating ones. Fujinon 7x50. Large, easy to hold with a large field of view. It even has a built in compass with a red light for night viewing. Also have two very smal 9 power pairs of binocs I used to use while hunting. Both pairs are packed away in various Bug out or Get home boxes.
I've got a pair of the military/marine Fujinon 7x50's, as well. Mine don't have the compass, though. I'll try and get some pics up this afternoon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My best set is a 12 power Leupold.. Extremely good quality view.. Not good to carry around in the bush as hard to hold still enough at that high power..
Best every day use is a set of Burris 7x35 that stays near the kitchen window to look over several paddocks and fields..
All, including the Leupold set are garage sale, thrift store finds..

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,665 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post this.

The best pair I ever had was Bushnell Custom 7x35. My 12th birthday at a pawn shop. $25
Steiner BigHorn Hunter...most beautiful optics i've ever looked thru

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Magilla, looks great.
Thanks GunDog. I appreciate it. Just reminiscing and wanted to show others that good glass is out there for a decent price.

Still on the Hunt for a pair of B&L Zephyr. That's my Holy Grail.

·
Semper Fi
9,550 Posts
I have two pairs of Pentax binos I bought close to 30 years ago when Pentax was still a big player in the 35mm camera and lens field. They are both compact binos with one being a fixed power and the other a zoom. They were somewhere between $100 and $200 each back then (hey it's been a long time). I have been very pleased with them and they still are giving me great service.

I think the current Pentax offerings are simply just in name only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts