Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos and information regarding a bike trailer I made. I wanted to make a trailer that I could use with my mountain bike. My first thought was to us the standard kids trailer but it was too wide. I also wanted to have good ground clearance. I saw a video on youtube that used a "tagalong" kids bike trailer and thought it would be nice to create one of my own. All together the cost was about $85. The bike trailer was $50 off of craigslist and after stripping it down weighs only around 15 to 20 lbs. The rack materials came from a ripped camping chair frame. I spent a few bucks on hardware and purchased primer and spray paint.

Example of "Tagalong" used in this project

·
reluctant sinner
17,575 Posts
Most excellent fab! With plastic caps the crank well would hold a nice patch kit. What is that "D" shape by the crank well?, rock guard perhaps. I'd suggest the trailer tire be the same size as your bike.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Very - very nice for an "FNG" -- I see hope fof you ---

Now get some "self-etching" primer and do the rim and spokes ---

And pull the bed sheet a little tighter next time --

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Can I see the connection please. Is it setup to endure off-road travel? That would be the break point and honestly, in a SHTF scenario, you would travel off the beaten path often. Great project btw...

·
Registered
175 Posts
What is that "D" shape by the crank well?, rock guard perhaps. I'd suggest the trailer tire be the same size as your bike.
It's generally called a bash guard. I've never seen one on a tagalong before, but in BMX and trials bikes they're to protect your sprocket from being crushed by slamming into lips, curbs, rocks, whatever. The trend in BMX for this came and went about 20 years ago, no idea when or how long trials bikes used them.

OP - awesome trailer, great job =]

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a nice looking trailer! Have you tried loading the trailer with weight to see
how it handles? It looks as if the center of gravity could be a bit high while loaded...May I suggest some panniers across the trailer tire to help that out a bit? There is a reason the children's ride-in trailers are a little lower to the ground and have a wide footprint, to prevent tip-overs.

It looks well built and able to withstand some abuse though, those tag-alongs are fairly stout.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
here the one I build and it is also under a $100.00

bingo guy .... the problem I have with the original OP build is the placement of the center of gravity .... it's much too high for any kind of serious load ....

your cart will take as heavy a load as humanly possible ....

only advantage to the original OP build is a possible off road/bike trail usage .... that single/follow along tire concept has that promise

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great work on that project.
The 'tag-along' is something I thought of too, basically in the way you did it.
Needs provision to use panniers (possibly home-made) as well as having a top rack for light bulky items (sleeping bag and similar). Other posters have commented on center of gravity.
One wheel trailer is best for trails and narrower in traffic.
I would never load it with 100 pounds, but with good welds I'm sure 100-plus loads would be no strain on the bike/trailer.
I'd like to see a pic of it fully loaded.

Here is an interesting idea..no top rack but light, and maybe easy to home make.

http://www.biketrailershop.com/extrawheel-voyager-bike-trailer-p-1377.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
My triler

First let me say this trailer is only about 10 inches off the ground and I know for 1 thing it WILL hold up to 280 lbs. with no problem and if there is any problems it will be how it hooks to the bike itself

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts