Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was hit by a oncoming van. I was driving home from my parents house on a country road. Going down hill at about 50 mph. A 79 econoline van came into my lane completely and despite my best effort to go far right and brake we impacted with me doing at least 35-40. I was driving a 93 grand cherokee with 4" lift and 33" tires. I had a well reinforced smittybuilt pushbar/brushguard, large tow hooks, and many tie ins to frame. smashed me like a son of a. Disabled my rig and exploded the air bag.

I am Ok. many lacerations, knee, right shoulder(seat belt), busted lip(air bag), sore all over, and a bit of whiplash.

Observations:
Alot of my gear came not over, but through the rear seat from the cargo area. Make damn sure that stuff is secure. Most of my kit was in large plastic totes, but i should have anchored those to the floor. I saw what it did to my back seat. I thank God, my kids were not with me. Many of us like to have all the extra emergancy stuff with. GET THAT STUFF SECURE!

I thought my rig was pretty tough, not enough. Probley would have killed me had I been in a car. Gas is reasonable right now. I remember complaining about how much it cost to drive at $4.50 a gallon. Doesn't matter. Think of that extra bit in gas as your Insurance to maybe walk away from it.

We were in the process of looking for another car. This has changed our minds. The jeep will be replaced with a possibley larger vehicle. And the 2nd car will not be a car. Some things are bigger better. On that note, what rigs should we be looking at? Price will be about $5000 each. She's looking at 2000? troopers. Me maybe a fullsize bronco, Blazer, suburban. years not as important as hers just capable and STOUT. Any thought?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'd like to take that a step further as in late 70's to mid 80's, my BOV is a 1980 Jeep Cherokee.
I won't disagree with you on that at all, but living in the rust belt, stuff that age is a rarity and so I'm less inclined to think of them as viable alt.:thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry about your accident and I hope you are OK! First off DO NOT buy a Trooper! I have 12 years in the car biz and they are P.O.S! Notorious for blowing motors.... In my opinion the best buy for your money is a mid 90's Tahoe or Suburban. They are bulletproof with the 350 and run forever if you need parts there are TONS available!

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
you might be able to find a diesel excursion. Those actually could get 20mpg and they are bigger than a suburban

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have heard stories of lug wrenches that were not fastened down going through the back and front seat from the trunk in a crash.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Securing things is a good idea. When you go from 60 to 0, everything in the car continues to travel at 60 MPH until it really hits something solid.

I don't buy into the "bigger is safer" mentality but that is my opinion. I've seen people in 2-door coupes walk away from a major accident and people in a larger vehicle get pretty banged up in a lesser accident. I think advancing safety technology does a good job keeping the passenger compartment intact in smaller vehicles.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
older vehicles dont have the crumple zones that newer ones do so all the energy from the impact goes right to your body.

Bigger is most deff. not always better. look at F1 racers, they take 200+ MPH crashed. sure thay have all the cool buil materials but most all crash studies start on the track and all advances have came from the track.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
I won't disagree with you on that at all, but living in the rust belt, stuff that age is a rarity and so I'm less inclined to think of them as viable alt.:thumb:
True, that's one of the reasons I moved south! :D: :thumb:

·
what me worry
58 Posts
I disagree with zurens analisys on bigger not better. I think bigger is better becuase from a mechanic standpoint if you gonna get hit by something big would you rather be driving a geo or a full sized suv. and as much as you may like foriegn cars, You gotta ask yourself do they follow the same rules as american manufacturers or not... not all do. fuel economy is no substitute for a vehicle that will keep from being crushed inside your car. Why do you think nascar has such a tough cage around the drivers. You need a tough shell around you it might bang you up stay strapped in. You can walk away. Now that washington wants to tell the big three how to make cars. would you really want to buy one if washington tells em what they can make? I dont plan on buying a domestic car if the big three take the deal the govt wants to give. just something to think about.. I would go with a larger SUV or truck. Diesels do get better mpg a and emergency fuel is much easier to store for them. More expensive to repair however maintenence is minimal.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Guys cargo barriers save lives, i dont know what they are called in america but in Australia cargo barriers are a must have for any 4wder especially if you do big trips. they are cheap and in an accident will stop things flying into the back of your head.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As a avid rock crawler, I have to point out many people get killed by coolers, tools, etc. As most of you realize when you BO it may not be on flat streets and freeways. You are most likely need to take risks, and get into off-camber situations. As someone who has put his jeep on its side, slammed the front into the ground, and balanced the jeep on 2 tires, I know! All i have ever ejected was sunglasses, an ipod and many open cokes. Remember I have no doors or a top. I recommend some military webbing (cheap to get) bolted to the floor, and locking tie down straps in the back.

It would suck if you were killed by your BOB.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have some tie-offs on the inside walls and floor of my truck bed. I also use the nylon webbing (mine is overhead crane slings from work). I also have a couple sets of ratcheting tie-downs (not the cheap ones), and I always keep a cargo net and tarp.

I keep my toolbox and winter weight always snugged down tight so there is no slack in case I flip over or similar. Anytime I load the truck with something (hay, feed, etc.) I tie it down, just in case. Don't need any lawsuits! My shovel, ax, pick, the bigger tools that don't fit inside the toolbox all ride inside a tube which I secured to the inside of the truck bed.

The gear inside my truck (GHB, sleeping bag, etc.) is secured best I can by being bungied together and hooked underneath the front seats. If I've got a pet carrier in the truck, it is belted in, also. I try not to have anything loose, but once I did lose an order of chicken wings on a panic stop:mad:.

I remember when we were kids going home on Christmas Eve night. We were aways behind a little hatchback car when it lost control and started flipping over. It was loaded with gifts and they were thrown all over the highway. Never seen anything like it, there was stuff just everywhere. Dad stopped and the people were fine, but what a mess:(.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Careful...

You have to be very careful when you decide that you must have a bigger vehicle due to safety. You can downgrade your situation easily by thinking mass = better. I work with vehicles daily as my job and im constantly thinking of what the ultimate bugout vehicle may be, and I do include safety in those thoughts because my bugout vehicle will be my daily driver.

Here are some videos showing how mass doesn't always mean safe...

Volvo and Land Rover are some of the most renown companies when it comes to safety. But as you can see, engineering changes over a decade or so have made major advances. This is not saying there are not safe large vehicles that fit our bugout needs, it just means not to assume large = safe.

My first post! woohoo

·
Banned
97 Posts
Consider a retired MV. Blast to drive. Not CHEAP to drive, but given they cost so little, you can afford to drive them.

Consider it this way. Even if you purchase a used 4x4, you will probably spend what, about $10 - $15k?

Go with a deuce for $5k or less. Put the remaining $10k into fuel. If you bought the fuel RIGHT NOW, that's a bunch of diesel for sure.

Though I am no longer a member of Steel Soldiers forum (long story), you can learn a lot on their site.

I drove my deuce as a daily driver, but I'm retired. Having said that, there is NOTHING more kewl than rolling up on a fire truck, looking over at them and asking, "Wanna race?" . After we all have a good laugh, they generally reply, "yeah, but we get to use our lights and sirens!" and we all have another laugh.

But seriously, I've had two full size guys standing on the fender of my deuce looking at the engine.

And these babies are made of solid steel. If you had been driving a deuce, all your stuff would still be in the rear of the truck and that van? He would NOT have been heading right at you. He would have done ANYTHING to get the heck out of your way. Been there, done that.

Funny how so many people realize they would die in a head on with a deuce. Here's an short piece on my deuce that was published in Diesel Power Magazine.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My wife kills vehicles. She got t-boned in her mustang, flipped her on her side and to say the least totaled the car. We replaced the car with a Dodge 1500 full pusher, she got popped with that but faired much much better than the other guy. The pusher took most of the damage and she still drives the truck (repaired of course) Now the vehilce that she wrecked that I am most impressed with was her wagoneer she had when we were dating...67 I think. she literally rolled down a hill after hitting a spot of black ice, they flipped it over and popped the dent out of the roof, started right up and off she went. Full frame is the way to go. I have 6 air bags in my mini, and I pray that I never have to use them. I am going to be dumping my garage car for a better BOV, looking at a 4x4 suburban, they stand up well to crashes as well (ask my wife, she was in an accident with one of those too)

·
A country boy can survive
336 Posts
FXJOHN had it right about the diesel excursion.....good choice...but it doesn't get anywhere NEAR 20 mpg. Try 13 at best.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
FXJOHN had it right about the diesel excursion.....good choice...but it doesn't get anywhere NEAR 20 mpg. Try 13 at best.
Depending on chip, air, tansmission you can get way over 20. My dad owns a 06 3500 dually, barely broke in gets 22mpg (not hauling) before chipping it, now with a banks programmer, 5in exhaust he is getting 28mpg and if he bought a overdrive unit he can get over 30.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts