Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago my uncle lived in amish country. I remember visiting him and he showed me a white gas floor lamp made from a old 30 lb Freon tank with a coleman lantern head, a fill cap and a air pump installed into the tank. He told me the amish was using these lamps for light. Over the years I've looked for references to lamps like these with out any luck.

Has anybody seen lamps like these?

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,683 Posts
Yep! I have seen some old, floor standing, pressurized oil mantle lamps as well as propane lanterns on extension posts from 20 pound propane tanks; both worked well, though personally I have dissatisfaction issues with mantle lanterns due to their obnoxious glare (frosted globes help somewhat).
Both propane lanterns and the extensions are available from many outdoor suppliers (even seen them in wally world) during camping seasons.
search for propane distribution post or propane distribution tree. a lot of places seem to have them on sale right now for around 30 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Distribution-Tree-2-Piece/13848693

(edit) A friend once made a movable stand for his white gas lantern using a large, heavy brake drum with a post and hook welded to it.
(edit, edit) here is a pretty neat site;
http://www.classicpressurelamps.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/2953/

Enjoy!

·
reluctant sinner
20,163 Posts
I have the Coleman tree, plus the correct hoses to go to an infra red heater and a 2 burner Coleman fuel stove converted to propane. Very nice camping out fit - never any stinking fuel on your hands. Will function fine to -20. I have a second propane lantern on re-filled 1 pound can to carry around camp. In the old style plastic lantern carrying case I made a cut shaped "[", inside under the slot I stuff a bunch of pack of mantles. On the new style I wired a 35mm size film can to the bail with 2 packs of mantles. An empty diabetic test strip can works nice too.

I would think you could adapt almost any tank to a lantern if you wanted.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a lamp made up from a old white gas lantern, chunk of 3/8 th inch pipe, pol and a 20 lb propane cylinder. It works good. The Freon tank lamp I seen 35 years ago and have not seen another or even a mention of one.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
made my own version of the Coleman LP tank distribution tree ... used 3/8 black pipe also along with a few fittings .... my version has a better and more universal clamp for fastening/steadying the tree to any of the various manufactured 20lb tanks .... I used a "beam clamp" commonly used to fasten pipe/conduit runs to the web of a steel beam ...

·
human
4,430 Posts
While I myself wouldn't want to be stuck sitting in the dark I would like to caution anyone using fuel such as white gas in an well insulated, tightly sealed room. Burning gas consumes lots of O2 give off C02 and monoxide as well as a long list of other chemicals.

Preparing ahead of time one could assemble a nice collection of LED lighting, Solar arrays and batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.