Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I have one on my sailboat to heat the aft cabin when away from the dock. Mine doesn't have a blower, but has a tip over cut off feature....which works well. I use mine frequently in the winter and it works great when used for it's intended purpose.
It's not too heavy, not too bulky, heats up the ceramic insert quickly, and has a depleted O2 sensor.

My cost was about $79.00 a couple of years ago. At the time the options were 1 Tank, 2 Tank or 2 Tank with blower. I bought the 2 Tank version without the blower. My thinking was you either have to use 110V current or 4 D-Cell batteries to power the blower. So if you're not going to power it, you're carrying extra weight for no reason.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I LOVE Mr. Buddy. I love them so much that I bought 3 and gave one to my sister and dad. I have the 2 cylinder option but we bought a conversion kit - about $25 or $30 - so we can use the big propane tank (that we use with the gas grill) with it. We keep some of the small 1lb. tanks for backups or if we are going somewhere and dragging a huge tank wouldn't work. We have used Mr. Buddy for days at a time when the power went out and it worked fine. We took it camping with us last fall and in a tent (with it's thin no insulation material) we ended up turning it off as it was to warm even on the lowest setting. This was up in the no. Georgia mountains and it was probably 25 outside the tent but I'd say 75 -80 inside. We have taken Mr. Buddy on picnics, to the lake and to an outside concert. There are many things I wouldn't like for someone to take from me but if you want to fight - try and take my Mr. Buddy!!

The 1 lbs. canisters last about 3 - 4 hours on medium heat. I've never ran out of propane in the big canisters (I guess it's 20 lbs.) but we've used it 2 or 3 days at a time without a problem.

ALSO, the thing I like about the conversion kit is your tank can sit outside the tent and you can run the line through a small crack in your tent doorway saving room inside the tent. I was going to say for safety also but I suppose if something happened to the tank being 5 - 10 ft. from it won't save you! Anywho, I truly believe in Mr. Buddy and I'm sure you would enjoy having one.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
If you use a bulk tank, you have to have a filter inline or you will plug it up(yes I did),The one pound canisters are purified. I have used it icefishing w/ no problems other than a strong breeze can blow them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.