Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few of the big-bore rifle cartridges in my collection i thought i'd share with y'all:

the cartridges in the pic are slightly larger than actual size.

Teddy Roosevelt used a Winchester 1895 chambered in .405 Winchester to take Africa's "big five", and everything that walks or crawls in North and South America with the combination.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I'm real tempted to get a big bore. I really only have .30-30 and 7.62x39 for centerfire cartridges. SHTF I am cover with those calibers, but I would like ot have something with some pop. I mainly stalk hunt, which mean I am doing offhand shots. Be nice to have some extra power for a less than ideal shot placement.

I am torn between 350 remington magnum, 375 H&H, and possibly 444 marlin or 45-70. 50 cal blackpowder makes a big hole too. Been considering just using than in non-bear hunting sections of the state.

·
FANG FACE BULLETS!
476 Posts
I too love the big bore and double rifles......Wesley Richards 300 H&H double rifle!! hey we all have dreams :) anyway a Teddy Roosevelt Winchester 1895 chambered in .405 would be awesome as hell

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Teddy Roosevelt used a Winchester 1895 chambered in .405 Winchester to take Africa's "big five", and everything that walks or crawls in North and South America with the combination.
Do you just collect cartridges or do you have rifles in those calibres?

TR thought the .405 was the best lion cartridge but he used a .500/450 H & H double and Kermit used a Rigby double rifle for the rest of the Big 5...

From Rare Winchesters.com:
Of the rifles, he choose the 1895 lever-action in .30-'03 U.S. as well as in .405 Win. to be the highlighted arms of the trip...

In perhaps the best presidential endorsement of any product ever, Roosevelt wrote in Scribners Magazine "The Winchester .405 is, at least for me personally the medicine gun for lions!'

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a firearm and cartridge collector. I do not own any rifles chambered in any of the big-bore rounds in the first post. I have, however, shot them all..

The 20mm below is an inert H.E.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.