Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order one of these....any opinions from those more knowledgeable? They seem about the same specs.....thanks

·
Forum Administrator
16,778 Posts
I did not like the berkey light, the top seemed a little top heavy.

Something to think about, the berkey light is made out of some kind of plastic. Lets say that you plan on storing these filters for a couple of years. For example my royal berkey is stored at the bug out location.

Rodents can chew through plastics.

If you are going to be buying the filter, with the plans of storing it, do you want to run the risk of a mouse chewing a hole through it?

If the berkey light gets knocked over, is the plastic impact resistant? Will the plastic shatter if it hits the ground? If the big berkey gets knocked over, its going to get a dent in it.

Given my choice, I pick steel over plastic any day of the week.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not like the berkey light, the top seemed a little top heavy.

Something to think about, the berkey light is made out of some kind of plastic. Lets say that you plan on storing these filters for a couple of years. For example my royal berkey is stored at the bug out location.

Rodents can chew through plastics.

If you are going to be buying the filter, with the plans of storing it, do you want to run the risk of a mouse chewing a hole through it?

If the berkey light gets knocked over, is the plastic impact resistant? Will the plastic shatter if it hits the ground? If the big berkey gets knocked over, its going to get a dent in it.

Given my choice, I pick steel over plastic any day of the week.

Thanks for the insight. I am going to store it but didn't consider rodent damage...great thought.

·
Forum Administrator
16,778 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I am going to store it but didn't consider rodent damage...great thought.
Rodents may not be an issue, but its something that I like to consider for. I have no idea how many plastic jars of peanut butter rodents have chewed into at the camp.

One thing with stainless steel, I can store it, and its going to be in the same condition in 5 years as it was today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts