Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice bike trailer that is intended to hold two toddlers for a family bike ride. I have used this trailer for it's intended purpose when my grandchildren were young enough to want to go for a ride. This buggy is two-wheeled with a quick detach hitch that pins to a mounting point that bolts to the rear axle of the bike. Works very well for the intended purpose.

Since they've outgrown that rig, I decided to re-purpose the trailer for hauling camping gear. Unfortunately, the hitch only works for carrying loads that are precisely balanced over the axle and when I put my pack into it, the entire rig puts too much weight onto the hitch and begins to fold toward the ground.

Had anyone found a trailer available from a retailer that can be used to haul loads like a 50# pack or two small dogs in their travel crates?:confused:

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about a BOB trailer for a bike last night.

I was looking at motorized bicycles for a backup bug out vehicle. On a full tank of gas (1 gallon), they can get up to 160 mpg. Plus if the bike is a version that can go on roads & dirt trails, all the better.

If the gas runs out, or you need to be quiet, you can still pedal the bike, so it has advantages.

Anyway, I was thinking if you had a trailer, a few gallons of gas and basic supplies, you could really cover some ground and not be concerned too much if roads were jammed up.

The minus to it is that you're usually going 30 mph at the most, so you're not going to get anywhere in a hurry. Luckily if you have a full tank of fuel, plus a 5 gallon can of gas, you should be able to cover about 700 miles at least.

Still working out the details

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I am thinking of making one. I know a guy who does metal work and welding, so I am planning to bring him an example and get him to make me a hardier, lightweight, frame I can then modify and add to.

·
Storyteller
1,896 Posts
I have a very nice bike trailer that is intended to hold two toddlers for a family bike ride. I have used this trailer for it's intended purpose when my grandchildren were young enough to want to go for a ride. This buggy is two-wheeled with a quick detach hitch that pins to a mounting point that bolts to the rear axle of the bike. Works very well for the intended purpose.

Since they've outgrown that rig, I decided to re-purpose the trailer for hauling camping gear. Unfortunately, the hitch only works for carrying loads that are precisely balanced over the axle and when I put my pack into it, the entire rig puts too much weight onto the hitch and begins to fold toward the ground.

Had anyone found a trailer available from a retailer that can be used to haul loads like a 50# pack or two small dogs in their travel crates?:confused:
Burley flatbed

Burley Travoy

I personally don't care for seat post attachment points.

WIKE brand Cargo Buddy

Could use a cover for when it rains

There are a ton of commercially made trailers. I'm willing to bet you would convert the trailer you have now ro better haul cargo....

·
reluctant sinner
17,515 Posts
Being an amputee I'm going to use my wheelchair as the trailer for my Mt. bike. It will be tipped up on the big back wheels rickshaw style. Rated for 250#. I need to make new wheels that take wide Mt bike tires.

Look at game carts. I like one with 2 wheels.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
I have a trailer like in the op, name is instep I think.
I stripped it to the frame and put a plywood bottom and sides on it. They attach with zip ties.
Use a small tarp for covering.
I made a hitch for it I found on indestructibles.com .
Will get some pictures up tomorrow.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,104 Posts
This, to me would be THE ultimate bike trailer.. Even gives you a place out of the elements to sleep inside. You can make it for much less that $150.00 I would think. Do a midnight run and collect you some of the election posters that litter your town for months before an election and months after the election. That's what he uses for the whole covering.

Pretty fancy setup. I'd love to be able to afford to bike across the US of A and tow one of these behind my bike.

Oh wait, I'm married... I reckon I'll just have to dream about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiejAhol4Ps

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I was looking at motorized bicycles for a backup bug out vehicle. On a full tank of gas (1 gallon), they can get up to 160 mpg. Plus if the bike is a version that can go on roads & dirt trails, all the better.
They sound like 2 lawn mowers going down the street through.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
Going to have to make a new floor, don't know where it's at. Have to remove sides​and bottom to fold it up for storage.

Hitch I made years ago still together but ugly. Fresh paint long as it's off.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,104 Posts
For an answer to the OP about balancing his load... Take a lesson or two I learned from cargo loading aircraft many moons ago.

Basically, with cargo planes, there's a measurements marked all down the floor front to back. Remember there's a cockpit up front so we had to adjust from that info. Good thing we had all that info from the developers of the course.

In the case of a bike trailer, your center of gravity should be right where your wheels are. In you have to adjust those wheels and axle to move to the center of the trailer, then it has to be done.

Now you'll need to weigh every piece of equipment you want to carry in the trailer, also measure the length and center point of each item.

Write it all down on paper, draw an outline of your trailer with the location of the axles and work your length and distances from that. The main trick is you put your heaviest item right over the axles, If you have two boxes that are the same weights, put them next to each other and measure to the center of the two, then place that over the axles.

If you put a second layer on top of the bottom layer, go through the measuring and alignment steps again putting the center of the box over the axles.

If you really want to get it dead on, find the exact center of the box you're putting on the trailer but, weight it at that point as the box may be heavier at one end than the other. One trick is to use a large wooden dowel, lay it on the ground, then put the heavy box on top of it, rolling it back and forth until you find the balancing point. That will be the point you need to put over the axles.

You could even use that technique to find the balancing point of the trailer itself. Just put the wooden dowel on 2 saw horses and put the trailer on the dowels to find the center of the load with an empty trailer. Put your axles on that point as well so everything else you do focuses on balancing the load.

It'll take a few tries but, one all is said and done, that trailer will be where it's supposed to be and not want to lift your back wheel or put more weight than necessary on the back wheel.

After all that, you'll be able to ride your bike like normal but carry a decent load.

A well designed child carrying cart should usually have the seats right over the axles so all their weight in on the axles and not on your rear wheel.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The one wheel 'come-along' training bikes that attach as a trailer to the grown-up bike and have a crank of their own are ideal for bike trailers as they have a single-track profile, just one wheel in back which makes the bike/trailer assembly narrower and safer in traffic and allows dirt path riding.
Some mods are required. Toss the seat, crank, handlebars, chains, cables etc. You don't need anyone back there, tracks fine with just one rider.
Attach one or two sets panniers. Dog basket attachment points? Put on a flat top if wanted (but keep weight low).
Add on a rocket launch pad for some Black cat rockets (light fuse, get back) and heck, you're ready for the Kim Jong-Il parade.

Here's an unmodded version.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_3211597_-1?utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Does this give anyone ideas? Attach cart bar to bike seat post, cart will be leaning back at around 30 degree angle. Mod as required. Lighten. Some plywood or hard plastic sheet.

Pretty good wheel bearings on the cart I saw at China Store. And light enough overall. 20" tires/tubes available everywhere.
The attachment to seat post is the problem. I'm thinking some creative knot with old-tech hemp rope and/or nylon webbing.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...orthern Industrial Welders&utm_content=164771

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,104 Posts
Has anyone ever pondered carrying one of those Razor Scooters in the truck or back of their pickup trucks?

My wife and I used to go to a HUGE neighborhood garage sale in Anchorage. One of those neighborhoods with more laws than Carters has pills that govern everything you want to do.

They only allow this event to happen on one day a year.

We took out lawn cart with us and the first place we walked up to, I picked up a Razor Scooter for $3.00 and my wife gave me the "What are you going to do with THAT?!?!" question and stare. I just told her to wait and see.

Anyways, the year before we walked that neighborhood and it took about 4 hours.

This year, when I got to the top of the first hill I took the wagon, opened up the Razor and said "I'll see you later." and zooommm I went. Got lots of stares from folks thinking "Now why didn't I think about that?"

Once my wife caught up to me while I was sitting down enjoying a hotdog and an Iced Tea, she said "I gotta get ME one of those. Found one in a free pile from a place that had closed early. Took a few whacks with a 2lb hammer and some wheel bearing grease and I've still got that one for her today.

I even have spare tires new in the packages also picked up at yard sales and a back pack made to haul the Razor collapsed down with spare tires and a small pocket for a tool bag. They're solid urethane tires (Think skate board wheels that are about 3.5" in diameter) and have decent sealed bearings and people sell these for next to nothing at yard sales all the time.

If you kept one in your locker or under your desk at work, it'd come in handy to get you a good distance away from any trouble areas a home a lot quicker. Carry them in a pack on the bus or light rail and kick the rest of the way to work.

Good exercise too.

My labs love helping pull me along but, you can hit the brake fast enough if they see a squirrel or cat running across the street.. But, you can easily just step off or tuck and roll.

They're pretty fast, compact, cheap, and quiet.

I weigh a bit over 300lbs and have exceeded the posted weight limit many times with no problems..

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,104 Posts
As for trailers, why not attach a tag-a-long directly to the back of your bike and then a trailer to that. Just don't overload it too much or you'll be fighting a lot of extra weight.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,104 Posts
The picture of the Burley Travoy reminds me of a golf cart/ Hmm, interesting use for a retired golf cart or a yard sale find. Tires aren't that wide apart, take the dividers out that hold the clubs apart, outside pockets for things you get to on a regular basis.

I've seen where people use them for moving canoes. Just put it under the back of the canoe and strap it on, then pull the canoe from the front.

Golf cart wheels are usually a good bit wider than bicycle cart wheels but, you should be able to put some bicycle cart wheels on the golf cart to even things out..

If anybody needs me, I'll be in my shop playing around with an old golf cart..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts