Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Second thing is to carefully prise off the chromed metal surround from the front of the lighter and relocate the flame adjuster lever on its valve so that you can get a decent length of flame.
The lever is usually fitted to the valve by a splined ring, which the lever is protruding out of. Just lift it up off the splines of the valve and rotate a couple of teeth or so, then push it back on. Press the surround back on after doing this.
All the lighters sold here now are supposed to have child locks and very small flames, usually only about 1/4"-3/8" high, if that. Enough for lighting a cigarette, but useless for lighting a fire or anything else. I am a pipe smoker and they don't work worth a [email protected]#$ for lighting one of those.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have my neck knife and a bic lighter around my neck all the time except when I'm in the shower. I had to take it off to go to court with a friend once and I felt so naked I told him next time he was on his own. Flame and blade, with those two things and a little skill a person can survive most things.

Tury

·
Registered
18 Posts
seriously? some of you have trouble lighting a bic lighter with the child proof tab??

you dont have to do anything different to light it except to apply a little pressure....
Have you ever tried making a fire with a lighter just after falling thru the ice?
Wet and cold in -20°C your will have problems using a normal lighter, even without the "child safety" stuff.

And, yes i have been in that situation. Don´t ever want to again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think that's because the boiling point of the gas inside is 32F or something. When you start getting close to that temp they stop working. Lower than that and it's almost impossible even when you warm it up in your pocket.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use mini butane torch like this:
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/BLZ-PB207.html

It´s easy to use even with numb hands and have very hot and wind resistant flame. It also have lock and cap to avoid any accidents when you carry it in your pocket. The only downside is that it´s a bit bigger than BIC.

But that´s usually my backup, most of my fires have been made with "Light my fire" firesteel. (want to hone my skill by using firesteel very efficiently)

Most of the lighters and matches don´t work when they get wet (if you drop through ice etc.), but firesteel will and you just need good skill to use it. I bet you cannot make fire with halfly frozen hands if you have tried your firesteel just once or twice...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.