Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by someone working in a feed store [and it sounds plausible] that a 'dog loose in yard' sign is less legal liability than a 'beware of dog' sign because the latter implies that no matter where the dog is it is a danger, while the former does not.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
You are suggesting that posting a sign saying "Dog loose in Yard" is better if someone comes on your property and gets eaten, and sues you?

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I've never heard of that. With all due respect to feed store employees wherever they may be, I'd pose the question to a lawyer or law enforcement officer for an answer that's trustworthy. I would also go back and see if they have a "Beware of 12 Gauge" sign. :thumb: Seriously, good luck on finding your answer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am like redice why advertise they will know when the dog starts eating their leg or arm the legal way would probably be different by state.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Talk to the local law. My aunt's municipality required a sign that said "guard dog on duty". If you did not have the sign or your sign did not have that exact phrase then you were pretty much guaranteed of getting sued if your dog so much as drooled on anyone.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
Just remember this is the United States of America where you can be sued for anything or anything.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Signs...EH..We Don't Need No Stinking Signs!

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It legally stupid to put up a sign that says "beware of dog" or "dog loose in yard." It means you are warning people for a reason and you are responsible for that reason. With no sign you can say "gee, I didn't know."

IF, and it is a big if, IF you have a guard dog used as a guard dog then signs are required because you are assuming responsibility and you want to warn people away to reduce YOUR liability.

The entire issue with signs has nothing to do with the trespasser or the visitor. It is all about protecting your ...assets. While warning people is indeed the moral thing to do it also is legally the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This issue concerning our legal system frustrates me to no end. If you put up a warning sign, and some fool does not heed the sign, why should the property owner be held responsible for those persons actions and the natural instinct of a dog to protect it's home? This is the same as if there is a sharp object with a warning sign on it and the person still cuts them self, and sues the owner. Pointless system.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I'd rpefer dog loose in yard sign because anyone trespassing will know if they walk in, the dog could be waiting right there. :D

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
Guess I should think twice about my sign that says "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.":D:

·
Registered
169 Posts
In Ontario, if you have a Beware of Dog sign up, it implies that you have a dog that is known to bite and if the person did enter and did get bit, then you are legally responsible.
If you have a sign that says Dog on Premises, it is different. It is telling the person who may enter the yard that there is a dog here--they may be afraid of dogs or have allergies to dogs so it is just a warning to them---advising. It is NOT saying that the dog is vicious--it is just 'there' for their information.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There was a case a while back here in my area. Guy had his yard posted with a beware of dog sign and some guy strolled through the property after dark with his little dog. I guess the properties owners dog attacked the trespasser and ate his dog. Guy filed charges against the homeowner and lost because the property was posted and the trepasser went onto the property knowing full well what might happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts