Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying and setting up a rifle for nighttime combat. Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of rifle I should choose? Bigger calibers? Smaller Calibers?

I'd imagine that in a night combat situation the combat is going to be closer than daytime, but I do plan on putting a night vision scope on whatever I choose to get.
Just a few ideas:
- Bolt action .223
- Ruger Mini14 in either .223 or 7.62x39
- AR15 (which I absolutely despise, just me...)
- Kel Tec Sub2000
- SKS
- AK47

·
"First To Fight"
901 Posts
I'm looking into buying and setting up a rifle for nighttime combat. Does anyone have suggestions for what kind of rifle I should choose? Bigger calibers? Smaller Calibers?

I'd imagine that in a night combat situation the combat is going to be closer than daytime, but I do plan on putting a night vision scope on whatever I choose to get.
Just a few ideas:
- Bolt action .223
- Kel Tec Sub2000
- SKS
- AK47
Define "Combat"? Your tactical objective will determine the best equipment for the task. A sniper rifle does not lend itself to a Bounding Overwatch scenario, or reaction to a near or distant ambush. Likewise, an AK-47 is not the correct tool for a precision shot.

As far as "night combat" being closer... once you have rounds coming at you from down range, I do not care how far or close you are... IT IS TOO CLOSE.... spoken from someone who has heard the unforgettable zing of rounds being danger close.

With that out of the way...

If your looking for a general combat weapon your best bet will be the AR or AK platform, and then the Mini, and SKS. (YMMV). If for some reason you must fight at night, purchase some tracer rounds to help track your line of fire.

I am not sure why you despise the AR platform, nor do I care...but the basis of your questions lends the appearance that you have no military experience. That said, the best choice for you would be to buy your weapon, and get some experience with the fundamentals, as well as some carbine training of some sort. The smart decision (should the situation occur) would be to avoid a conflict, day or night. Forget what you see in the movies, playing airsoft or COD... if you can get from point A to point B without an engagement, be happy! :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's say you own a large piece of property, at least several acres with a main house on it. Some night, post SHTF, you (and whoever else) notices several hostile individuals making their way towards the house. There is nearly no light outside (new moon), you have rifles with iron sights and various scopes, but with the black crosshairs you can't see what you're trying to shoot. Maybe you have to evacuate the house and fight outside, what guns would be good to have to turn the advantage back on you?

·
"First To Fight"
901 Posts
Let's say you own a large piece of property, at least several acres with a main house on it. Some night, post SHTF, you (and whoever else) notices several hostile individuals making their way towards the house. There is nearly no light outside (new moon), you have rifles with iron sights and various scopes, but with the black crosshairs you can't see what you're trying to shoot. Maybe you have to evacuate the house and fight outside, what guns would be good to have to turn the advantage back on you?
Training and practice with your weapon is the only thing that will even the odds and turn the advantage IMO.

If you can notice they are hostile, and you can see there are "several", you can see well enough.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
you need to ask whats required for night combat to be effective. night vision scopes have to narrow a field of view and are large and cumbersome. night vision goggles paired with an eotech or aimpoint would be a wiser choice, silencers are almost a neccesity due to you announcing "hey here i am" with every shot and yes an enemy will saturate that area with fire. a laser in the infa red spectrum is a bonus if you have team mates to direct fire with. just my two cents worth but maybe a 200 lumen light would suffice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
blind them with million candlepower lights. or shoot flares. stop fantasizing

·
The War to end all Wars
623 Posts
12 ga shotgun, 18in barrel, buckshot - very simple and below 25 yards very effective. Night vision is an expensive and good option but there is a high reliance on technology to work especially if on a rifle. I prefer a pump like a Mossburg 500 or Remington 870 - simple, reliable and with a second barrel such as a 28in modified chock it becomes a multi-puropse system.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If your going to use a rifle , go with a high cap semi auto (better full , but lets be realistic ) .
At night I dont believe long range would be very practical , unless you had very sophisticated night vision ..223 or 7.62x39 should be fine as I imagine any fighting at night would be fairly close quarters .
I have seen AKs produced during the baltic civil war (online only ) that featured large fold up glowing night sights .
During the day you just fold them down for youre regular Iron sights .
Add a mag light and you'd have a decent rig , even better if you have a night scope .
Post shtf baterrys for night vision or lights may be hard to come by , so the fold up night sights would be nice to fall back on .
Personally I have two pump 12s and a bunch of buckshot , a bunch of flashlights and one bushnell hand held night scope .
If I had to defend a camp at night , shooting wold be mostly guess work , so baring a rifle with full auto buck shot is the most logical choice .

·
Realist
180 Posts
I prefer the semi-low tech. M1A or AR with night sights. (most makes will do but I prefer XS) they work without batteries and cannot be seen from the sides or front and not from the back unless you are well within hand grenade range (or behind the rifle). they are much cheaper than night vision so you can equip every rifle you own. I do have night vision for many applications but as far as bang for the buck night sights can't be beat. If you are trying to set up a defensive perimeter at night most of us can't afford multiple sets of goggles and scopes. A couple of sets of goggles with leaders for target ID and many shooters with nights sights would be a cost effective solution. Additionally, there is no potential IR signature for aggressors with night vision to trace back to you prior to the engagement. Just my two cents.

http://xssights.com/

·
Realist
180 Posts
In reference to my previous post there is one cheaper method. It will probably date me, but many of my infantry brothers may recall the use of sector stakes and establishing interlocking fields of fire in a patrol base or defensive position. A further adaption is to use the old half shelter poles as sector stakes and putting a small piece of "lume" tape on the stake facing toward the inside of the perimeter so the shooter can more easily ID their sector of fire. care must be taken using this method though. When I was with the 82nd, I once was called on to OC (Observer Controller) a National Guard unit that used this method and they all put the lume tape to the outside and used huge strips of it. Walking up to their patrol base I could make out every position from like 75 feet away. Didn't help matters that they were all sleeping when we came in at 2am.

·
"First To Fight"
901 Posts
In reference to my previous post there is one cheaper method. It will probably date me, but many of my infantry brothers may recall the use of sector stakes and establishing interlocking fields of fire in a patrol base or defensive position. A further adaption is to use the old half shelter poles as sector stakes and putting a small piece of "lume" tape on the stake facing toward the inside of the perimeter so the shooter can more easily ID their sector of fire.
Great advice, and goes back to my original posts about training, rather then just "setting up" your weapon.

Plan and train according to the plan.

·
Jump, Fight and Win!
58 Posts
A few things to keep in mind before you spend too much money:

The odds that these "hostiles" are a light infantry squad/platoon or a team/troop of operators is none.

Even if the hostiles avoid the driveway while making their way to the house, they will most likely take a natural line of drift. Recon your own property, identify them, recognize that they are likely avenues of approach, and then plan accordingly. You may discover that defending/denying these avenues is pretty easy and will not require NVGs.

These thugs will probably case your house before they make their move (unless they are extremely desperate or stupid). They will do this to size you up and determine risk v. benefit. So identifying and/or denying surveillance points is also key, and so is reducing your signatures and avoid showing your capabilities.

Trading cover and concealment by taking the fight to them in open terrain is risky in this situation (unless they have fire superiority, or they are torching your house).

A successful defense is founded on planning and hard work. Technology has its place but can be supplemented with solid fundamentals and good field craft.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts

Just a few ideas:
- Bolt action .223
- Kel Tec Sub2000
- SKS
- AK47
I bought a few M4s of various configuration (mid-length and SBR), Aimpoint RDS (T1 and M4S), and M600C Surefire scout light.

Also get a nice hand-held (I have a modded 6P).

Practice:
"Moving off the X"
Misdirection with your hand-held
brief flashes vs. walking around with the light shining are a big obvious one
Clearing your house with it (some walls, you will find, are rather shiny...know where your mirrors are!)

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Armed conflict at night is extremely unpredictable and nerve raking no matter what you have. I would just chime in on the need to emphasize training and planning as opposed to relying on a selection of a particular tool. Not to say that it is not important, but just saying situational awareness/analysis would be better to dictate a successful outcome. For example, are we talking defense, offensive, ambushing, patrolling, reacting to ambushes, etc;

If you ask me I like the AK for defense and the AR (with quality night vision and tracers) for offense. just my 2 cents.......a 12 gauge for combat...I guess better than nothing but definitely not my first choice with the limited capacity..no thanks...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts