Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
pmfelton
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to store coleman fuel indoors,if not how long will it last in a shed with the changing temps

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Is it safe to store coleman fuel indoors,if not how long will it last in a shed with the changing temps
Wall-mart, and every other store that has the fuel for sale, stores it indoors; on the shelves.

Its a good question, because fuel can be dangerous. However, the common sense thing was not fully applied before asking!

Is it safe to store Coleman fuel indoors under my bed?

Is it safe to store Coleman fuel indoors next to my lawnmower?

Is it safe to store Coleman fuel indoors in the storage area of my RV?

The Coleman fuel can is air tight, and the large cans are metal with a plastic cap. The weak link, from a flash-point perspective, is melting of the plastic and exposing the vapors to heat and oxygen.

Many people put 20+ gallons of gasoline next to their house or in their garage everyday when they park their vehicle when they come back home.

So, the bottom line, is that it is NOT safe to have any Coleman fuel, expecially in a modern wood built home.

But, it is not especially dangerous either.

Examine the locations that you have available to store fuel. Make the best choice to minimize the risk the fuels create. If the risk is to great, go without.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I store many cans of isubutaine for my jetboil in my bathroom cabinet.. perfectly safe.

I also have two 5gal Jerry Cans full of gas in my living room.. Most people would say this is very dangerous. It is. BUT.. When I weigh the risks... They're air tight and my apartment is climate controlled so I don't really have to worry about fumes. My water heater is outside.. Not too much to be concerned with..

Always weigh the risks. What are you worried about? How would that happen? How LIKELY is it to happen? Then make your decision.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
Unopened Coleman fuel has a metal seal underneath the plastic cap. I wouldn't worry about storing them in the house. They were designed to be stored safely indoors. After opening, I'd store them elsewhere though.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
I just bought a can of this crap and it cost about $10 for a gallon. Ridiculous price. Luckily my Coleman stove and lantern are dual fuel. I'm thinking about using unleaded for about $3.26 a gallon.

As far as how long it will last in a building. Just about forever best I can tell.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
I store many cans of isubutaine for my jetboil in my bathroom cabinet.. perfectly safe.

I also have two 5gal Jerry Cans full of gas in my living room.. Most people would say this is very dangerous. It is. BUT.. When I weigh the risks... They're air tight and my apartment is climate controlled so I don't really have to worry about fumes. My water heater is outside.. Not too much to be concerned with..

Always weigh the risks. What are you worried about? How would that happen? How LIKELY is it to happen? Then make your decision.

Thanks.
I have to ask. Why do you keep fuel in your apartment?

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I have to ask. Why do you keep fuel in your apartment?
I am assuming sense he lives in an apartment, he has no outside storage. Or it has a community garage or just a carport where others could take it. That's my guess.

On the subject, like already said, as long as it is sealed I don't see an issue. Once it is opened though I would be very careful. Move it is outside like MikeK said.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
I am assuming sense he lives in an apartment, he has no outside storage. Or it has a community garage or just a carport where others could take it. That's my guess.

On the subject, like already said, as long as it is sealed I don't see an issue. Once it is opened though I would be very careful. Move it is outside like MikeK said.
If there are no fumes like he says, I would keep it in the trunk of the car where they would do the most good.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
If there are no fumes like he says, I would keep it in the trunk of the car where they would do the most good.
Coleman fuel? The trunk would be way outside it's rated storage temperature range, and might result in it blowing it's seal and filling the trunk with vapor. But this is only speculation. I just know they were designed to be safely stored indoors. I don't know how they'd react to being stored in heat like that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used to keep 5 Gal in the bed of my truck all the time but I opted to take it out during the summer due to the combination of heat and shaking (from driving) don't want to shake up 5gal of gas when its over 100 degrees!

I actually have two more empty cans I intend to fill soon. I put StaBil in them for storage but I rotate them into my truck every 6-8 months. It's purely a preparedness thing for me. If I have to leave town, for whatever reason, the last thing I want to do is get stuck somewhere where the gas is either over priced due to gouging or the station is empty..

I have a patio but that's where my water heater access is and again, why put it out in the hot sun to expand and create gases? It also helps that I'mnot married so I don't have a wife yelling at me to "get those darn things out of the house".. lol.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Your landlord and his insurance company and your local fire safety laws will have a bit different idea of your gas storage. If there is ever a fire you may be opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

If any of my renters had gas stored inside they would be evicted. A scary unsafe practice for sure.

Red

I also have two 5gal Jerry Cans full of gas in my living room.. Most people would say this is very dangerous. It is. BUT.. When I weigh the risks... They're air tight and my apartment is climate controlled so I don't really have to worry about fumes. My water heater is outside.. Not too much to be concerned with..Always weigh the risks. What are you worried about? How would that happen? How LIKELY is it to happen? Then make your decision.

Thanks.

·
"Nothing is over!"
702 Posts
1 USD just said 2, 5 gallon jerry cans full of gas. I'm assuming unleaded. My dad would use unleaded gas to start brush fires. Makes one h3lluva explosion. I use a little sometimes for bushfires. Diesel is better, less explosive. Used engine oil works good too.

Aint no way I would keep unleaded in my house.

·
Registered
219 Posts
To be fair I did say this was dangerous in my original post..

and yes there would be a lot of people who would be none to happy about it..

I just think, given the enviroment and containers that it is currently in, the only way that danger will be fulfilled is IF there is some sort of fire while I am not home. Then yes, agreed 100% that would be terrible.. While not impossible, I file that eventuality in the "unlikely" catagory.

Unlikely but agreed, extremely bad..

Thanks for the respectful disagreement!

·
Registered
219 Posts
This discussion has got me thinking though... What if they come in to do some "repairs" or some such business while I'm out.. Could be bad.. I'm getting ready for a road trip in a couple days. Maybe I'll bring them along and use them up..

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
If your negligence causes injury to others in the apartment your gamble may be a expensive thing for you someday. Someday the legal people may take this post and make a great case against you.

I hope the risk to yourself and your neighbors is worth it. The risk to firemen trying to put out a possible fire would be serious. Maybe one of the fire or legal types on the forum will give you an idea of your liability.

Red

To be fair I did say this was dangerous in my original post..

and yes there would be a lot of people who would be none to happy about it..

I just think, given the enviroment and containers that it is currently in, the only way that danger will be fulfilled is IF there is some sort of fire while I am not home. Then yes, agreed 100% that would be terrible.. While not impossible, I file that eventuality in the "unlikely" catagory.

Unlikely but agreed, extremely bad..

Thanks for the respectful disagreement!

·
Registered
219 Posts
If your negligence causes injury to others in the apartment your gamble may be a expensive thing for you someday. Someday the legal people may take this post and make a great case against you.

Red
Agreed. You're right.. I should probably move the cans out of the apartment and intend to do so when I make take my road trip in the next couple of days.

Thank you for the perspective that I obviously didn't have.

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
Can guarantee that if a fire breaks out in your apartment and your can of fuel explode, the forensic evidence would show that and you better be prepared for the legal consequences which would have a good chance of being arrested for arson and 10 to 1 your insurance company will bail on you (not to mention the moral and ethical consequences of other people being hurt).

History proves without doubt that house/apartment fires are a *far* more likely and regular occurrence than any EOTW occurrence that you might be storing fuel for.

Instead of prepping with dangerous fuels in your apartment, howabout prepping with something a little safer life a heap of magnesium flints. You'll still be able to light a fire and cook food if TEOTW happens...of course it won't be as convenient as a gas stove.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can guarantee that if a fire breaks out in your apartment and your can of fuel explode, the forensic evidence would show that and you better be prepared for the legal consequences which would have a good chance of being arrested for arson and 10 to 1 your insurance company will bail on you (not to mention the moral and ethical consequences of other people being hurt).

History proves without doubt that house/apartment fires are a *far* more likely and regular occurrence than any EOTW occurrence that you might be storing fuel for.
Instead of prepping with dangerous fuels in your apartment, howabout prepping with something a little safer life a heap of magnesium flints. You'll still be able to light a fire and cook food if TEOTW happens...of course it won't be as convenient as a gas stove.
This is why I ultimately decided to agree with what Red had to say after giving it some consideration.

Thanks.

·
Country Girl
995 Posts
LOL yeah sorry looking at the time of your post and the time of mine, I think you replied while I was still typing! Glad you decided against doing this:thumb:

But your post makes me question what other similar things people might do as part of their preps, that might also be just as dangerous without them realizing it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts