Survivalist Forum banner

What's the best method of sharpening stuff?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's your preferred method of sharpening your knives, axes, mauls, hatchets, arrowheads, fishhooks, etc...?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a large medium to fine grit stone and a high quality steel rod. I get more than hair shaving edge from it. technique trumps gadgets any day.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I use a Lansky's Crock Stick as of late on my normal double bevel knives. On my scandiground blades I use a japaneese waterstone thats old than m'self...

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I voted other because i use all of the above.

There is no best way to sharpen a knife,It all depends on the knife,the knife steel,what you are using the knife for and on the person.

Heres an example,food knife i use a butchers steel,Machete i use an oil stone,camping knife i use a diamond card and strop.

If im making a knife i will use different stones and work down in grit till the knife is sharp then ill use a diamond card and then strop.

I also use an idea that finnMan gave me but he can explain that better than me.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Big wet/oil stones are great for a home sharpener but for on teh move i carry a small folding dimond sharpener adn it gets the job done.

Dimond sharpeners are my favorite but are alot more expinsive.

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
I voted other because i use all of the above.

There is no best way to sharpen a knife,It all depends on the knife,the knife steel,what you are using the knife for and on the person.

Heres an example,food knife i use a butchers steel,Machete i use an oil stone,camping knife i use a diamond card and strop.

If im making a knife i will use different stones and work down in grit till the knife is sharp then ill use a diamond card and then strop.

I also use an idea that finnMan gave me but he can explain that better than me.
Very well put

I use differant stones for a number of jobs.

I voted for the water stone becuse my recent use. It is the best way I have found to finish a blade in preperation for Stroping!

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I am a bit of a traditionalist and I like my Arkansas stones. water on the portable ones and oil on the bench ones. machete and lawn mower blades get sharpened with a file. I use a steel on the kitchen knife for touch ups but like to hone it on a stone now and then.

the right tool for the right job...

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Take a look at the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Good intstructions are included and you can graduate to freehand as you progress.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I voted water stone because in reality you can use either oil or water on a stone. After you use oil it is best not to use water on it again but oil and water both seem to work just as well from my experience.

I haven't tried diamond other than in a stick form so i can't really say much good on that except from a survivaist stand point of portability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts