Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to seal them up to lose the least amount of oxygen absorbing capability?

I know there are a few ways that they say to put them in a mason jar, to vacuum seal them.

Trying to decide if I should spend the money and get a vacuum sealer.

·
Low speed , High drag
880 Posts
What is the best way to seal them up to lose the least amount of oxygen absorbing capability?

I know there are a few ways that they say to put them in a mason jar, to vacuum seal them.

Trying to decide if I should spend the money and get a vacuum sealer.
Best way I've seen so far.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,278 Posts
Basically, it's the only way I've heard of.

It helps to fill up the remainder of the jar with something like rice too.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I put mine back in their bag and in a mason jar. They have lasted till I need them without any problem.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm new to oxygen absorbers and have yet to put meaningful study into them, but from what I have seen they come in packages of 100 or so. I figured that further investigation would reveal someone who had enough sense to put a few in a bag so a large lot wasn't exposed all at once. If I need 3 I don't want to have to scramble to save the remaining 97 out of a pack of 100. If I need 9 maybe I let 1 go if it's a packet of 10.

Can you tell me how these are sold?

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,278 Posts
I'm new to oxygen absorbers and have yet to put meaningful study into them, but from what I have seen they come in packages of 100 or so. I figured that further investigation would reveal someone who had enough sense to put a few in a bag so a large lot wasn't exposed all at once. If I need 3 I don't want to have to scramble to save the remaining 97 out of a pack of 100. If I need 9 maybe I let 1 go if it's a packet of 10.

Can you tell me how these are sold?
You have to hunt for them, but some places do sell smaller lots of them.

Of course you pay a lot more per unit that way.

Look in the pinned mylar tread and you'll find a link to a thread I made of most of the big sellers of mylar and O2As.

Reactions: Aceoky and stroo

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
A food saver with a canning jar vacume lid adapter is handy to have. Mine are vacume sealed in a canning jar.

I have almost given up on Mylar and use canning jars vacuum sealed to store things. I buy the 1/2gal jars by the case and there reuseable.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,278 Posts
A food saver with a canning jar vacume lid adapter is handy to have. Mine are vacume sealed in a canning jar.

I have almost given up on Mylar and use canning jars vacuum sealed to store things. I buy the 1/2gal jars by the case and there reuseable.
Sure, vacuum is more convenient. But it never lasts near as long and if you are buying new bags or new jars then it isn't even cheaper.

Vacuum is a zero to three year solution.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

Sure, vacuum is more convenient. But it never lasts near as long and if you are buying new bags or new jars then it isn't even cheaper.

Vacuum is a zero to three year solution.
Never said it was cheaper.
We are using 3yr old rice at the moment. Rotating food is better than 20yr old stuff anyway.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,278 Posts
Never said it was cheaper.
We are using 3yr old rice at the moment. Rotating food is better than 20yr old stuff anyway.
Obviously, we all have different storage plans. I eat mostly fresh foods, so I'm not eating out of my LTS stores normally. If I put away storage food them I'm only pulling it out for rare but regular QC checks. One weekend a month I pull storage food out to eat. That way I check how well it is holding up in storage and to stay in practice cooking storage food. 2 or 3 days out of 30. A 50lb bag of rice parceled up won't get fully used up for 10 to 15 years that way. 3 to 5 years might only be my first pull from a given lot.

Why should I want to eat a lot of can and bag food when I live where there is 4 growing seasons? Fresh food is nutritionally more bioavailable. It tastes better and is cheaper too.

I might open no more than 10 cans in a total year.

But we still have several conventions at SB. Regardless of your idea of long term, it still means packing it for the best longevity possible. Vacuum packing is never long term. Mylar is long term.

20 year old rice that was mylar packed properly shouldn't be nutritionally different than 2 year old rice. Time itself isn't what kills food. Heat, light, oxygen, moisture, and vermin are what degrade food.

Reactions: AandB and Aceoky

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,278 Posts
Do oxygen absorbers work in a vacuum?
Well, in absolute vacuum then obviously not. But then we have to look at partial vacuum situations.

The normal iron based O2A's only start to work in a catalytic reaction. Certain amounts/ratios of iron, moisture and oxygen must be present to start the fast reaction that draws in oxygen from further away than mere contact.

Vacuum made by a kitchen appliance, like Foodsaver, is always just a partial vacuum. A full vacuum takes lab or industrial equipment.

So using your Foodsaver on a bag or jar ends up with a partial vacuum. Some minor bit of atmosphere remains and that means a tiny amount of oxygen too. The question then is there enough oxygen in the container to set off the catalytic reaction? Maybe, because enough moisture must be there too and in the right ratios.

As a general rule, but not guaranteed, the O2A will sit dormant if you put it in a partial vacuum. This is why you don't try to think that an O2A and vacuuming combined makes for redundant food protection. The O2A might not catalyze, but there is enough O2 left to slowly destroy food. Vacuum and O2As don't play nice together.

But vacuuming down a container filled with fresh O2As will likely keep the O2As from triggering, so you can use them later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts