Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the method that vets use humane? My last dog moaned pretty awful as soon as the solution hit his leg, I still remember the sound from 3 years ago. Is it painful?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Like many IV push meds, it likely burned going through the veins. There is not really any "best" way to kill anything. I have heard of folks putting down critters by putting them in the freezer until hypothermia sets in and it "goes to sleep". I have personally put down a dog with a .22 to the head. It was not as "clean" as I had hoped, but it did the job.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Good point........we put down a 12 yr old wolf last year( ate up with tumors).....my DW was mortified and she was a vet tech( she got out over the brutallity and suffering).........somehow they did it wrong, she suffered.......we talked to a vet just the other day, as we have a 15 yr old Husky and Chihuahua.................He assured us, his method is humane........much like human execution, the first shot should completely paralyze the animal( like an overdose of painkiller).........then the next shot should make the heart stop, immediately.......he said, his 2nd shot is directly into the heart.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have personally put down a dog with a .22 to the head. It was not as "clean" as I had hoped, but it did the job.
A year ago we started raising chickens and I got stuck with 5 roosters. We just raised them like pets. One started acting up so I shot it in the head and neck with a shotgun... had to hit it 3 times. That was REALLY messy.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Bullet to the brain. Done it this way for years. Just did a sheep this way two weeks ago. It's quick and clean. Works for me.:thumb:

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
A year ago we started raising chickens and I got stuck with 5 roosters. We just raised them like pets. One started acting up so I shot it in the head and neck with a shotgun... had to hit it 3 times. That was REALLY messy.
CD,,,,,cut the end off a Clorox bottle and tie it to a tree limb, upside down........stuff the bird in it and pull the head out the spout......cut the head off and yer done....no fuss, no mess.........

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Had to put down my old 14 year old dog last year. Had to get the vet to do it, he uses the two shot method also.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Two years ago I had to make the decision to put down my friend Louie. It was a tough call. Part of me swears he knew what was going on. I can still hear his wimpers.
If you've spent your life with the dog's life, they know........you have to reconcile that.........I know some may disagree, but talk to them....they don't understand English, but they DO understand voice inflection........our wolf, by nature would never reveal her pain.........as in nature, they would be killed by their own pack( they will kill all weak, sick, injured or old).........I could see it in her eyes........btw, her daughter lives on......

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
I'd give the dog his favorite food, pet him some, then a shot to the brainstem with a handgun shot. he will be out instantly.
We must be careful,,,,,,,,,like goats and cows and pigs, shooting them in the head only stuns them, but not kills them( by design, we don't want them to die, so they bleed out), then we cut the throat, so they bleed out.....it's not the same.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In August of last year we had to put our dog down. We decided to go the vet route. The next time, it will be with 1 shot by one of us. It was the most tormenting 20 minutes I have had to endure in a long time. It seemed like an hour, he (Midas) definitely knew something was up and he struggled to fight the injection. My condolences....

·
Mall Ninja Hunter
672 Posts
HAd to put my Dog down a month ago. Cancer. Vet did it with one needle. Very peaceful. He just closed his eyes.

Shooting your buddy that had been by your side 24-7 for all the years of his life [12] in my case would be a tough thing to do. Farm animals, problem critters that's one thing. Your best friend that would be a hard one. If it's possible spend the $25 and let the vet do it.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
We must be careful,,,,,,,,,like goats and cows and pigs, shooting them in the head only stuns them, but not kills them( by design, we don't want them to die, so they bleed out), then we cut the throat, so they bleed out.....it's not the same.

do you know what happens when the brain stem is destroyed?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
dogs and cats become like member of the family and it would be hard for me to put down the member of the family for they become a loyal and trusting member to watch over you along with allways beening there for you all they ask is in return is a little food and water and place by your side in life with them giveing you all the love that you need at times and can handle at times..

·
Consent Withdrawn!
2,020 Posts
I've had the vet put one down with an injection; he convulsed, fought it, and finally succumbed. Made me sick. But, he was my wife's and that's how she wanted it done.
In the past I did it myself like Dwind said. Much more humane. Much more personal and respectful.
And, before you go there; you either get it or you don't.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
I have rescued close to 65 dogs. The organization I work with has done some five thousand of them. Some of the dogs we couldn't save were too far gone or incredibly sick. Some had to be put down. In almost all cases, the "one shot" from the vet was incredibly effective. It immediately renders the dog immobile, and very shortly thereafter the heart stops and the breathing ceases.

The difficult part is that the dog immediately goes completely limp. That can be very disconcerting for the human. It's as if the dog goes from being perfectly alive to perfectly dead in an instant. It leaves little room for closure unless you know what to expect.

My heart goes out to you. I have had to shoot very few dogs that didn't deserve it. I wll carry all of them forever.

If I had it to do over again, I would just let the vet do the first one and not know what it was like but I have an over amped sense of duty.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts