Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase some bulk spices. What would be the best way to divide and repackage them for lts? Stuff like cinnamon, garlic powder, chili powder...

I can put it in 4 oz mason jars with o2 but there should be a better way.

How have you done it?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Jars do work well. We use the blue ones since they will block more light (even though they get little to them) and because we have always been very careful with those jars and prefer not to pressure can with them. Especially the ones you can see the air bubbles in the glass. Those are dry goods only.

I do have the mylar from last deer season's MREs that were eaten, I plan on trying those out as a re-purposed item. haven't gotten around to it though. They are just waiting for the next order, and then I'll give them a try with O2As.

Threads have been done on re-using kids juice pouches for this as well. As a money saving/recycling thing. Supposed to work well with O2A, but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I would suggest in mylar in small amounts that you will use in a couple months rather than in large amounts that will loose their flavor before you use it all up.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
For spices, as opposed to herbs, the best way to keep them as fresh as possible is to buy them whole. Grinding releases the volatile oils and they degrade faster after that. It's mostly true too for herbs as well. Whole leaves or sprigs store better. For a few herbs the only thing that makes them last, like basil, is freezing them in ice cubes.

Because these are all diverse species there is no true universal rule that works in all cases.

In general, heat and moisture are enemies. The spice cabinet next to the stove is the worst place for large storage. Only keep tiny jars there and expect them to go bad in that location if you ignore them.

Vacuuming down jars works pretty good for many years if kept in a cool dark place with a desiccant pack added. I use the little desiccants I get from pill bottles after I have gently dried the desiccants in the oven at low settings. Pop one in the jar, add the spice/herb, vacuum it down, and move it to a panty cabinet as far from the stove as possible.

The true long term way is mylar and O2As. Some of the early guidelines still apply. Whole spices are better than ground (have some way to prepare when it's time to use them), and nothing is going to preserve basil or parsley long term except freezing them.

Of real importance is procuring them. That tiny jar at Kroger likely spent years in a bulk bin long before it showed up at the store. Big spice merchants deal in kiloton lots that sit in warehouses for ages before putting it into a store jar.

Using a specialty merchant has a huge impact on how fresh you get it. It can be like night and day. New ground garlic will just bowl you over opening the bag if it's truly fresh. I can smell my spice deliveries before I open the shipping box. Delivery man might comment too.

There are many merchants out there. It's a balance of unit value, quality, freshness, shipping costs, and prompt service.

I've mostly settled on Atlantic Spice: https://www.atlanticspice.com/

I've used a half dozen other premium merchants before but Atlantic Spice meets all my criteria well.

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
I’ve packed my spices in Mylar bags with o2 absorbers.

My process is to poke holes in the foil top of the jar, leave the top off, wrap the top with a napkin so it is less likely to damage the Mylar bag and drop in the bag with the spice. I then put in the absorber, push out or vac out as much air as I can, heat seal the bag, label it and drop in one of my spice buckets.

It may be a bit of overkill but it works well, I’m currently using spices I packed away three years ago and they’re just as good as when I packed them. I realize some folks use old as heck spices in their cupboards and that’s fine, but I like myself and that’s why I want as fresh as I can get

As IamZEKE said go with whole spices as much as you can. And thanks for the spice web site.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
And thanks for the spice web site.
You won't be sorry. I went through a bunch of fancy merchants first before finding them.

No frills, good spices, good prices, low or free shipping, arrives pretty quick.

Reactions: 259722

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I’ve packed my spices in Mylar bags with o2 absorbers.

My process is to poke holes in the foil top of the jar, leave the top off, wrap the top with a napkin so it is less likely to damage the Mylar bag and drop in the bag with the spice. I then put in the absorber, push out or vac out as much air as I can, heat seal the bag, label it and drop in one of my spice buckets.

It may be a bit of overkill but it works well, I’m currently using spices I packed away three years ago and they’re just as good as when I packed them. I realize some folks use old as heck spices in their cupboards and that’s fine, but I like myself and that’s why I want as fresh as I can get

As IamZEKE said go with whole spices as much as you can. And thanks for the spice web site.
Not trying to be an ass, but rather than doing it that way why not just keep a few grinders and some shakers on hand and mylar and O2A just the spices/herbs. Should pack better. Will last at least as well. Maybe space isn't a concern for you, and it's cool if it isn't. Just I try to look at saving both space and money since I don't have too much of either.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
New 1G & quart paint cans containing appropriate sized 02A's make excellent bulk spice storage containers.
It's what we use to store bulk spices (and gunpowder) at our BOL.

Sturdy, opaque, air - moisture tight, shelve well, easy to label, easy to open & reclosable

https://www.uline.com/BL_8177/Paint-Cans-and-Clips

·
Front Towards Enemy
507 Posts
We use a vaccu-sealer. About a cup of each spice in one of the thick bags, add an o2 absorber, and vaccu-seal it. I have garlic, salt, black pepper, and dehydrated onion flakes that I've had sealed for 2 years now.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
We use a vaccu-sealer. About a cup of each spice in one of the thick bags, add an o2 absorber, and vaccu-seal it. I have garlic, salt, black pepper, and dehydrated onion flakes that I've had sealed for 2 years now.
Ugh. Vac sealers and O2A's don't play nice together. It's conflict, not redundancy.

Vacuuming down spices is OK for a time span of 3-4 years and doesn't need O2A if that's all the time you need for that amount of storage.

But if you want true longevity then go with glass, steel, or mylar using just an O2A.

Whether you use mylar, glass jars, or the cans like bunkerbuster uses then just drop the O2A in and call it a job done.

Reactions: MikeK and 259722

·
Read Only
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It appears that quart Mylar bags with 02 would be the best bet. Put them in gallon paint cans with desiccant in the paint can.

Originally, I was thinking of making up kits with the spices used for different recipes. Now I am thinking that reclosable paint cans of each type of spice is a better idea. It is less limiting. I can still make up a couple of recipe kits to have on hand.

I do have allspice berries as well at nutmegs. Am going to seal the nutmegs in a mylar bag, throw in an 02. After a day I am going to try to run the impulse sealer between nutmegs. That way I can cut them out one at a time when I want to use one.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
It appears that quart Mylar bags with 02 would be the best bet. Put them in gallon paint cans with desiccant in the paint can.

Originally, I was thinking of making up kits with the spices used for different recipes. Now I am thinking that reclosable paint cans of each type of spice is a better idea. It is less limiting. I can still make up a couple of recipe kits to have on hand.

I do have allspice berries as well at nutmegs. Am going to seal the nutmegs in a mylar bag, throw in an 02. After a day I am going to try to run the impulse sealer between nutmegs. That way I can cut them out one at a time when I want to use one.
Premade mixes are limiting and generally best avoided, but a few are always OK because while you need flexibility you will also face time constraints in the beginning.

In addition to my bulk discrete ingredient food storage I keep some MREs, some soup/stew cans, some homemade premixed dry soups in pouches, and some homemade chili starter kits I can add meat to. An assortment of things I can crank out in a hurry for those busy early days of a long disaster. The first few weeks could be crazy busy.

Reactions: 259722

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Jars do work well. We use the blue ones since they will block more light (even though they get little to them) and because we have always been very careful with those jars and prefer not to pressure can with them. Especially the ones you can see the air bubbles in the glass. Those are dry goods only.

I do have the mylar from last deer season's MREs that were eaten, I plan on trying those out as a re-purposed item. haven't gotten around to it though. They are just waiting for the next order, and then I'll give them a try with O2As.

Threads have been done on re-using kids juice pouches for this as well. As a money saving/recycling thing. Supposed to work well with O2A, but I haven't tried it.
Seems to have worked. I'll open one every few years and see how it goes.

Attachments

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Seems to have worked. I'll open one every few years and see how it goes.
Those juice bags are a mixed bag, of quality that is.

Some even seem better than heavy duty mylar bags we buy, but some are garbage.

All I can say is be very picky about reusing drink pouches.

Reactions: Potawami II

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Those juice bags are a mixed bag, of quality that is.

Some even seem better than heavy duty mylar bags we buy, but some are garbage.

All I can say is be very picky about reusing drink pouches.
Those are MRE pouches. Pretty heavy stuff. I don't actually save the kids juice pouches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts