Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to find the most healthy way of dropping weight i currently weigh 200 i need to be down to 190. i am currently getting in shape for Rotc in college next year. i have from now until September so its plenty of time. I am working out and running but i need to figure out a healthy diet. any info would be great

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Try this:

Stop drinking soft drinks

Don't eat cookies but a piece of bread with jelly instead.

It's all about minor changes.

Good luck!

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
To drop weight I simply let go of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was wanting to lose some weight since I have been on my deployment, I have lost about 37lbs in seven months... Iam normally around 175 - 185 but before our deployment I was topping the scales at 220. My NOCIC offered me the idea of eating five smaller meals a day instead of three big ones. still was taking in about 1800 calories but I dropped the junk food for the most part, lightened up on my soft drink intake... still do either a regular coke or two diet cokes a day.

Yes I know that a normal intake for a combat soldier is about 3500 because of the high levels of physical activity they do, but I don't do that, I work in a office, yes I admit it, so I cannot take in that much calories without blowing up like a balloon.

Just remember to eat foods that not fryed or covered in grease, and just keep a daily tally of how much calories you are taking in.

While doing this I was also going out and running every other day, getting ready for my annual PT Test. Usually ran either for about 20 minutes at a faster pace or longer time at a slower pace. I did four miles this morning in about 40 minutes. getting to the point to where I am not getting tired when I run, Yeah me.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I'd say it depends on what you do wrong.

First of all, do you know what is healthy, and what has less calories? (Some people are clueless I found)

IF you eat any junk, fried food, candy, cookies, soda... just cut it out. It's actually pretty easy.

If you're NOT eating those things... I actually don't have much of a clue.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
cut out sweet snacks, booze, eating before bed and run Forest run ( at least 5 days a week for me). Thats how I kick the weight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Obesity & Diabetes

-- Between 1962 and the year 2000, the number of obese Americans grew from 13% to an alarming 31% of the population.
-- 63% of Americans are overweight with a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 25.0.
-- 31% are obese with a BMI in excess of 30.0.
-- Childhood obesity in the United States has more than tripled in the past two decades.
-- According to the U.S. Surgeon General report obesity is responsible for 300,000 deaths every year.
http://www.americansportsdata.com/obesitystats.asp

Compared to

-- Age 20 years or older: 23.5 million, or 10.7 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.
-- Age 60 years or older: 12.2 million, or 23.1 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.
-- Men: 12.0 million, or 11.2 percent, of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
-- Women: 11.5 million, or 10.2 percent, of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
-- Non-Hispanic whites: 14.9 million, or 9.8 percent, of all non-Hispanic whites aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
-- Non-Hispanic blacks: 3.7 million, or 14.7 percent, of all non-Hispanic blacks aged 20 years or older have diabetes.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/statistics/#estimation

The problem is not with your government, its the exercise, food intake, and the actual calorie content of your foods. As with medicine, always read the label. If you have excess body fat then make a big effort to exercise more. You may not be able to eat less. From a honest standpoint you may be addicted to food. Foods great but could you go without your daily fix of that special something?

The end result.
Over about 5 years of exercising two times a week for about 2 hours each, not eating at mc Donald’s, kfc or any of those supersize fast food joints. Not eating deliveries, unless you have too. Cutting down caffeine as though it were nicotine. You develop an intolerance of highly fatty foods and you are reminded of this before you pick up that Twinkie because you know, chances are, that Twinkie filling is as good as house insulating foam. Cut down on the fizzy drinks, especially when your exercising. You'll run allot farther if you try not to inhale any car-exhaust fumes.

The most important part of exercise is the self discipline it gives you, and the extra energy for the day you get. It gives you self respect, and improves your co-ordination. It 'sets' your mind for completing tasks. You even become well informed about how your body works; everyone is different but no one is genetically a slacker.

The most important thing i can say here is that your going to have to be very patient.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
10 lbs in three days:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Fruit-Flush-Three-Day-Detox&id=1180647

The fruit flush three day detox diet is for the after-festive season cleansing. Jay Robb's methodology of ridding the body of all the indulgences during the holiday season is quite a rage.

Loosing all those kilos after the hearty meals and drinks during an extended party, a vacation or simply during festivities and regaining the figure and vitality is the mantra of this diet. Besides over indulgence in food and weight problems, the system gets clogged up and requires cleansing, hence the all fruit diet.

The fruit flush is strictly a 3-day diet of just fruits. Fruits help in dissolving stored toxins and the water and fiber in them help to flush out aiding in weight reduction. It also fortifies the body and helps in speeding up the liver's metabolism of environmental toxins.

1st day: the pre-flush

Between 8 am to 4 pm drink ounces of protein mix (11/4 cup protein powder and 1 quart water) every two hours. Eat 3 to 6 cups of raw vegetable salad and 3 to 6 ounces of lean chicken, beef, fish or turkey at 6 pm. Top it up with 1 to 2 ounces of olive oil or flax seed oil, or half an avocado and the juice of half a lemon. One hour after each protein drink or meal drink an 8-12-ounce glass of water.

2nd and 3rd day: fruit flush three day detox diet

From 8 am to 4 pm eat servings of fresh fruit every 2 hours. At 6 pm, like day one eat 1 serving of raw vegetable salad. Also drink one protein drink comprising of 12 ounces of water and 5 tablespoons of protein powder.

Unlike the 30-day detox or fasts, the fruit flush three day detox diet can be followed for a period of up to 12 weeks with 3-day diet and 4 days off alternatively. The diet is based on natural fruits and vegetables and followed back-to-back aids in considerable weight loss. The program has had very good reviews; dieters say the diet is rich in fiber, vitamins and antioxidants and low in potassium and sodium. This not only aids in detoxifying, losing weight but also improves energy, regular bowel movements and improves skin tone.

The fruit flush diet program does not support any preservatives, laxatives, chemicals or pills; also Robb suggests no exercise regime during the diet; yet there are a few negatives.

It is a very low calorie diet, hence not a balanced one. It is not a long-term solution for weight loss and not ideal if you are on a fat loss program. Also, those who have tried it are not satisfied that you have to use Robb's protein powder. The positive reviews definitely outweigh these and several dieters use their own handy protein mixtures and still report the desired results of the fruit flush diet program!

Shed 20 pounds or more in less than 2 weeks! Flush out nasty, disease causing toxins! Feel and look years younger. Oprah talked about it on her show. What are you waiting for? Get rid of all that unwanted weight fast and foul toxins for good and add years to your life!!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Blake_Allen

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was wanting to lose some weight since I have been on my deployment, I have lost about 37lbs in seven months... Iam normally around 175 - 185 but before our deployment I was topping the scales at 220. My NOCIC offered me the idea of eating five smaller meals a day instead of three big ones. still was taking in about 1800 calories but I dropped the junk food for the most part, lightened up on my soft drink intake... still do either a regular coke or two diet cokes a day.

Yes I know that a normal intake for a combat soldier is about 3500 because of the high levels of physical activity they do, but I don't do that, I work in a office, yes I admit it, so I cannot take in that much calories without blowing up like a balloon.

Just remember to eat foods that not fryed or covered in grease, and just keep a daily tally of how much calories you are taking in. QUOTE]

This is similar to my approach. I topped out at 226 with 26% bodyfat a few years ago. I changed my lifestyle... I stepped up the PT and started lifting heavy. Some people will tell you cannot lose weight an lift heavy, but I found that not to be the case for me. I do cardio 4 - 5 times a week, but nothing serious, either a 30 minute jog or stationary bike. I also hit some longer mtn bike rides on weekends, but consider that fun, not work out:D:

My "fighting weight" is about 185. It took me about a year to get to that and now I hover there, dropping to 181 or less for powerlifting meets. I hover around 12 % bodyfat now which ain't bad.

For eating, I do the five small meals, with a heavy focus on protein (yes, I eat a bunch of chicken and also enjoy tuna and boiled egg whites), a determined limitation on fat. I find that by following those two things, I wind up limiting my carb and calorie intake.

Most important thing to me is to make it a habit by reducing the temptation. That is, remove all crap food from your house. After eating chicken, tuna, eggs and rice for a while, you will be amazed at the FLAVOR of REAL food. The stuff that comes out of the garden never tasted so good. Whoever thought a tomato could be a treat?!

One more thing. Every now and then, when you level off a bit... go out and "splurge" with a big fat baked potato and a big, lean cut of steak. It will help jumpstart that weight loss, as long as you keep up the workout routine.

If you have further questions, feel free to PM me. I work in the fitness insustry and if I cannot help you, I can ask someone who can.

Good luck with it and with your future in the military.

John

·
Registered
202 Posts
Drink water and only water for 2 weeks easy way to lose 10 pounds. Do eat normally during this time no fastfood or pizza. The lose 10 pounds in 3-5 days is all water weight it will come back. And losing more than 3 pounds a week your eating your muscle right off.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
fire captain told me of a way to drop 10 lbs in a week...it was simple:
eat nothing but tuna and water for a week. Simple, and I even modified it to eat also salmon. Tuna and salmon from a can, sashimi sushi, grilled, blackened, etc....
here's the hitch...you can keep it off if you don't jump back into a crap diet, but if you start eating excess carbs, cakes, candy, pizza, etc...OR if ya start drinking heavy again, it will come back just as fast as it was lost. IF, however, ya follow that week eating healthy, as in vegetables for carbs, protein and plenty of fiber, as well as of you are working out to some degree, the weight will stay off and continue to drop as your metabolism is re-stoked.
But what do I know...I'm still fat.;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
See I lost the most weight when I was drinking heavily and dancing all night.:) I don't say that is the proper way to do it but just what actually worked for me. 100 pounds gone.

Now im eating one decent size meal a day and snacking on little stuff to keep the edge off. and i've lost 56 pounds in the past 4 1/2 months.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got an idea. Eat right and do a little thing called Exercise. It really works. Not to sound like a hard a$$ or anything, but it chaps my behind seeing people wanting to know a quick fix to losing weight. You lose it just like you gained it. You gained it by eating garbage and not exercising so to lose it, eat right and exercise. It is as simple as that. People want the rewards but don't want to put forth the effort.

Ok, I am done ranting now. Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got an idea. Eat right and do a little thing called Exercise. It really works. Not to sound like a hard a$$ or anything, but it chaps my behind seeing people wanting to know a quick fix to losing weight. You lose it just like you gained it. You gained it by eating garbage and not exercising so to lose it, eat right and exercise. It is as simple as that. People want the rewards but don't want to put forth the effort.

Ok, I am done ranting now. Sorry.
I have to agree here, moderate eating along with some moderate exercise will do wonders. less consumption and more movement is key, I lost a lot of weight (more than 150 pounds) once I learned the concept that eating is for nutrition not recreation, YMMV of course.

Nietz

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
I used the "go on the road and play bass in an East Coast Hotel Lounge Band" diet.
I went from 185lbs to 140 in just a few months. I dropped pants size from 34 to 28.
I lived on booze and cigarettes and the pounds just fell off!
(that was 20+ years ago)
Seriously, eating right and stomping around in the woods is a great way to keep healthy and fit. Go out and kill some steak, stew or bar-be-que and leave the 4wheeler at home, drag that deer out of the woods. I hunt year round, with a rifle in season and with a camera in the off season, it's great excercise and very educational.

Ted Nugent is a wise man, put some of his games into practice and you can have a great time while getting in the best shape of your life and eating very well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts