Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been much of a tea drinker, except maybe the occasional chai tea latte, but I could definitely see the appeal of it in a SHTF situation, so I have a few hundred tea bags in my survival pantry. Right now I have regular tea, chai tea and chamomile tea. I was also planning to pick up some bulk green tea bags at some point when I see a good deal on it. But I was wondering what the best tea for survival is, and knew someone here would know :) I figure there are certain types of teas that would be better than others for prepping.

I tried googling it, but it came up with all kinds of questionable results of the "drink this obscure tea to cure your cancer" type of sites :(

Hmmm... guess it wasn't going to let me post anywhere else until I did a intro post, that is coming up next, and sorry for a mod having to move this one :/

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Welcome!
I try to keep as much mint tea around as I can, spearmint or peppermint.
I find that I can drink any of the other 'medicinal' teas if I include a mint tea bag with it.
I figure post shtf, that I'll probably have to substitute tea for coffee, also I'll have to make lots of herbal teas as remedies, so to make that all more palatable, mint tea as an add on tea.
When you're buying teas be aware of the caffeine content.
Many of my favorite mint teas are paired with black tea and I have to hunt to find just plain mint, I can add a black tea bag myself if I want the caffeine.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
I like regular green tea [Camellia sinensis]. I have two bushes growing, from them I can make green tea, or smoke them to make black tea, or oolong tea.

I combine mint in when I make tea. Along with some knotweed.

Sometimes I include a bit of cinnamon [but I do not grow the cinnamon].

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I vacuum seal the tea bags. Sounds like green tea is a popular choice, so I will definitely get that. I know I have given a Camellia Sinensis plant as a gift before to a green tea addict, so adding one of those plants shouldn't be a problem. I have personally never been a mint fan, so I avoided any of the mint teas so far.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have tons of English Breakfast stashed away and rotate through it as I go about stashing a little more. I vacuum pack it and havent noticed any degrading when stowed up to a couple of years. Of course then again I drink hot tea about like most people drink coffee. I am sure I drink at least a pot a day and in the winter I drink several.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Stockpile dark teas with caffeine the herbals are so easy to grow yourself. Most herbals are perennials and you only have to plant them once and you'll have plenty forever. Mint (all kinds) is like a weed once you plant it it spreads and you'll always have plenty. Mint is also antibacterial and tinctures made with fresh leaves in oil or alcohol can be used to kill mouth infections and clear up acne and many other problems. Chamomile Just be sure when you buy it it is the perennial kind( this time of year you can find them marked down at garden centers and there is time to plant them and for them to get settled enough to come back next year. It is sweet naturally and very calming to the nerves. Lemon balm, St John's wort and hyssop are all really good additives but don't make great teas on their own but each is very good for specific things vitamin C, mood enhancers and good for coughs and colds in that order. All of these you may find in their perennial form marked down at this time of year. If you don't have an herb garden they all make good greenery type filler plants in flower gardens just make sure you mark where they are so you don't weed them out in the spring or use a flower that is not good for consumption by accident. If you live in a non tropical environment the only caffeine tea you can grow are a specific holly (you make the tea from the berries) Yaupon holly can stand harsh winters can be planted as an evergreen to spruce up a flower bed or be trimmed as a bush or allowed to grow into a small tree. The berries are nice looking in the winter and provide some caffeine which all other sources could be hard to get.

If you like the taste of coffee and aren't interested in the caffeine you can pick chicory on the side of the road (it grows like a weed all over) and pull dandelions If you slow roast both roots and grind them they make a good coffee substitute.

I also grow stevia (unfortunately an annual and you have to plant a lot of seeds as the germination rate is not high) If you like your tea sweet sugar is also a commodity unless you have hives for honey. I take in a couple of stevia plants for the winter and they grow well by a window with a grow light added for the first few hours of the evening. I have successfully taken cuttings and started new plants as well. Stevia can be dried and added right to the tea (be careful it's really sweet) or you can make a tincture using the green fresh leaves and vodka and it only takes a few drops to sweeten a cup of tea and is safe for kids because the small amount of alcohol when it hits hot tea evaporates because of its lower boiling point.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stockpile dark teas with caffeine the herbals are so easy to grow yourself. Most herbals are perennials and you only have to plant them once and you'll have plenty forever. Mint (all kinds) is like a weed once you plant it it spreads and you'll always have plenty. Mint is also antibacterial and tinctures made with fresh leaves in oil or alcohol can be used to kill mouth infections and clear up acne and many other problems. Chamomile Just be sure when you buy it it is the perennial kind( this time of year you can find them marked down at garden centers and there is time to plant them and for them to get settled enough to come back next year. It is sweet naturally and very calming to the nerves. Lemon balm, St John's wort and hyssop are all really good additives but don't make great teas on their own but each is very good for specific things vitamin C, mood enhancers and good for coughs and colds in that order. All of these you may find in their perennial form marked down at this time of year. If you don't have an herb garden they all make good greenery type filler plants in flower gardens just make sure you mark where they are so you don't weed them out in the spring or use a flower that is not good for consumption by accident. If you live in a non tropical environment the only caffeine tea you can grow are a specific holly (you make the tea from the berries) Yaupon holly can stand harsh winters can be planted as an evergreen to spruce up a flower bed or be trimmed as a bush or allowed to grow into a small tree. The berries are nice looking in the winter and provide some caffeine which all other sources could be hard to get.

If you like the taste of coffee and aren't interested in the caffeine you can pick chicory on the side of the road (it grows like a weed all over) and pull dandelions If you slow roast both roots and grind them they make a good coffee substitute.

I also grow stevia (unfortunately an annual and you have to plant a lot of seeds as the germination rate is not high) If you like your tea sweet sugar is also a commodity unless you have hives for honey. I take in a couple of stevia plants for the winter and they grow well by a window with a grow light added for the first few hours of the evening. I have successfully taken cuttings and started new plants as well. Stevia can be dried and added right to the tea (be careful it's really sweet) or you can make a tincture using the green fresh leaves and vodka and it only takes a few drops to sweeten a cup of tea and is safe for kids because the small amount of alcohol when it hits hot tea evaporates because of its lower boiling point.
Thank you for the information. I have tried and failed at growing Stevia. Do you have a link to a good source for seeds or buying Stevia plants online?
Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts