Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week, it dawned on me that I lack candles in my preps. However, I don't know which candles offer the most hours of light per buck. I need suggestions.

Note: I'm specifically asking about candles, not oil lamps or battery-powered devices.

·
Michigander
1,405 Posts
Earlier this week, it dawned on me that I lack candles in my preps. However, I don't know which candles offer the most hours of light per buck. I need suggestions.

Note: I'm specifically asking about candles, not oil lamps or battery-powered devices.
ANY off color candle, the day AFTER it's holiday.
Orange after Halloween. Red & Green after Christmas, etc.
Sometimes White after Christmas.
Tealights in some places after the holidays. $1 for a large bag.

Goodwill, Yard Sales, Flea Markets.
I buy those UGLY ones with glitter, melt down in a double boiler
and pour my own into jars. Buy wicks from Franks, Amazon, etc.
( I use a qt pan in my cast iron fry pan that is full of water )

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Kosher candles. Made to last 24 hours. Often under a dollar. Grocery store Kosher section.

thrift stores get lots of candles.

right now most places are having citronella candles on end of season sales. Containers generally have handles so good for outdoor use. Also jugs of citronella lighting liquid — for tiki lights, outside again.

·
Michigander
1,405 Posts
I've got hundreds of those little tealight candles I bought at WM. I doubt I paid more than a couple dollars for fifty of them. I really don't remember because I bought them that long ago. Never used a one, but they're there.
Put a couple of those Tealight candles in your BOB, fire starting section.
It's MUCH easier to light a candle, and then use it to ignite kindling.

Also work well to "take the chill off" if you have to hang out in your vehicle when it's cold, rather than running the engine.
Just BEWARE: kids & cats.

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,930 Posts
Has anyone made a Crisco candle?? I have seen a few videos but have never made nor used one, so I can't say. The articles and videos say they last a long time. If nothing else might be a way to use shortening that has gone rancid??

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
ANY off color candle, the day AFTER it's holiday.
Orange after Halloween. Red & Green after Christmas, etc.
Sometimes White after Christmas.
Tealights in some places after the holidays. $1 for a large bag.

Goodwill, Yard Sales, Flea Markets.
I buy those UGLY ones with glitter, melt down in a double boiler
and pour my own into jars. Buy wicks from Franks, Amazon, etc.
( I use a qt pan in my cast iron fry pan that is full of water )
This. I pick up dia de los Muertos candles. They're a shorter version of the glass religious candle. Those become our "clean" candles for things like cooking areas etc.

I also pick up candles free commonly. Melt them all down after checking wax types, use old Oui yogurt jars {can also source free often} & bought wicks. I don't even bother with the boiler - just chunk up the wax straight into the oui jar in an old crockpot half full of water. It'll all melt even and I have yet to lose a jar. I like the oui jars as they're slightly bigger on the bottom so they don't get knocked over quite as easily. Because they're scented / previously used, I don't use these in food prep areas.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I like these in their little glass jars to use in Bathrooms for a night light when we have lost power.

Normally I see them around Jewish Holy Days for 3 or 4 for $1. Normal price is around 75 cents.

They are used to remember lost close relatives, but are not actually a holy candle. So you aren't stepping on anyone's toes using them.

Kosher candles. Made to last 24 hours. Often under a dollar. Grocery store Kosher section.

thrift stores get lots of candles.

right now most places are having citronella candles on end of season sales. Containers generally have handles so good for outdoor use. Also jugs of citronella lighting liquid — for tiki lights, outside again.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I buy candles at the Discount/Salvage grocery store. I used to find the Shabbat candles that came in a box of 72 for $1, now it's $1.50.

At the grocery store they are around $7 when I just checked. These unlike the 25 hour Memorial candles last 2-3 hours. We use one in a couple of places for light when we are up in the evening when there is a power outage. We can walk through the house without carrying anything. We don't have to worry about leaving them unattended because they burn out. We'll put one in the living room, kitchen when we are working on doing things in the evening and then when one of us heads to the bedroom we light one there.

We could make them last longer, but right now there is no need and using 3-4 a day isn't a problem now.

As I said in an earlier post They are used before Shabbat dinner to make it special, but they are not actually a holy candle. So you aren't stepping on anyone's toes using them."

·
Michigander
1,405 Posts
Where can I find the old style plumber candles in bulk. The pink lady type, abt 7in x 3/4in ?
I Bought a box at True Value Hardware in the late 80s or early 90s. Can probably still buy them there, but might have to special order them.
10 min later: Wow, found one WITH a sticker.
Check with your local True Value. Ask for SKU:703702

·
Registered
793 Posts
Has anyone made a Crisco candle?? I have seen a few videos but have never made nor used one, so I can't say. The articles and videos say they last a long time. If nothing else might be a way to use shortening that has gone rancid??

I got the tall skinny candles to cut down to crisco can height and use in the old crisco. I’m to lazy to try and put an actual wick in there..

·
Enjoying life on the outer edge of civilization
125 Posts
I used to pick these up all the time. I think I've got 10-12 boxes left from my reenactment days. I'd lose a box in my gear storage area and pick up a new one every time I had a week+ event to be at. You can imagine my surprise at how many turned up when I was packing up to move...lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
Some unsolicited advise, don’t get or buy scented candles. We ran a test to see the how well and how long our candles worked in a grid down situation. I like vanilla and cinnamon scents so that is what I had, after 24 hours we all had headaches. Testing for length of time didn’t work cause we had to stop from those headaches, aired out the house and were fine.( tested in the winter months).

you can pickup candles super cheap at garage sales, goodwill or wherever, just smell them first. I do buy the religious candles at dollar tree, the big pillar candles at Walmart have unscented ones that last a long time and tea lights for fondu pot.

I tend to search for tip proof candle holders at goodwill and then find big pillar candles later.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I see far too many house fires to even consider using candles in 2022.

What is the purpose of a candle? Light? Battery lanterns last way longer, and are safe.

Why are we stuck on this old technology (candles)???

Im trying to understand. Really. If the purpose is light, there are better choices. If you want to use them to heat a can of food, then ok. But your burning wax and god knows what and polluting your houses air and creating a fire hazard….

I have battery powered lanterns that use three AA batteries and last at least 24 hours. I buy batteries 100 at a time from Amazon for $20. You can have a months worth of light for cheap. Or use rechargeable batteries and a solar panel for almost free light.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts