Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my FID in Rutherford. Put in an application in 11/2013, called every 3 months. On month 12, I told chief I would get a lawyer as NJ is a shall issue state.

Just stay on top of it and it will happen. Now live in Morristown and they signed a permit to buy my 4th hand gun in 14 days. YMMV

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hi all. As I’m sure you all know, each town in nj is its own version of hell when it comes to FID Cards and Pistol Permits- some are complete nightmares, and some seem to be just large inconveniences. My wife and I are looking to buy a house soon and I would prefer to buy where getting my FID/PP is not a complete uphill battle.
Both my wife and work in NYC, so someplace that is less than an hour (preferably by train) is a must.

thanks

somerville

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not that bad...you wouldnt get life in prison for carrying a gun that was legally obtained and registered to another state. They would probably just call the government of the state you cake from and ensure that the weapon was legally obtained and registered then just let you on your way, so long as you get out of the state with it as fast as possible. Or they might not even do that. If you obtained it legally, you would be fine.
That not necessarily true actually

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where did you wind up?

it's been more than 1 year since the original question was posted. Where did you wind up? If you don't want to mention specific town, the county will do.

We live in Somerset county, in one of the towns that voted a Trump majority (right next to another town that also begins with a W, that went for Hillary. If' your determined you'll be able to figure it out with a few web searches). The wife and I had about a 1 month wait after submitting all the fingerprints & paperwork for the NJ FID cards (total time required was about 2.5 months start to finish).

Then for handgun permits, about 6 weeks. Local PD sends a written questionaire to the people you list as references. All in all it was not too painful. You just have to know what to expect.

I saw one post where the person went to the local PD weekly to check on status. That sounds like a sure fire way to irritate the officer in charge of handling the permits to me. . . . . . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
That not necessarily true actually

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Gov Christie recently issued a pardon for a woman from PA, who had a legally obtained (in PA) handgun in her cars glovebox. Got pulled over for some vehicle infraction, voluntarilly told the officer she had her gun in the glovebox. She got arrested. County prosecutor was apparently a leftist anti-gun nit and chose to prosecute. In NJ that is a 5 year MADNATORY jail sentence. Clearly this woman had no intention of committing a crime. Fortunately for her common sense (and the NJ arm of the NRA) prevailed and Christie granted her a pardon.

There was another case where a college student, studying criminal law (he wanted to be a cop), had a part time job as a security guard so he had a NJ legal handgun for work (did not have a CCW permit). He came home from work. Forgot to take the handgun into the house. Went somewhere else, got pulled over. Again - zapped. Christie pardoned this kid too.

·
Old School
823 Posts
Upstate New York residents consider themselves fortunate only in comparison to New Jersey. At least up here we have counties that issue unrestricted carry licenses.

I would move. Seriously.

·
Team 30-30 Mem. #190
313 Posts
I got my FID in Rutherford. Put in an application in 11/2013, called every 3 months. On month 12, I told chief I would get a lawyer as NJ is a shall issue state.

Just stay on top of it and it will happen. Now live in Morristown and they signed a permit to buy my 4th hand gun in 14 days. YMMV
That had to be within the first year of getting your card. Burlington made me go through the whole process again for a handgun because "it was over a year since I got my card". They just gave me the same number again so WTF?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts