Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As I’m sure you all know, each town in nj is its own version of hell when it comes to FID Cards and Pistol Permits- some are complete nightmares, and some seem to be just large inconveniences. My wife and I are looking to buy a house soon and I would prefer to buy where getting my FID/PP is not a complete uphill battle.
Both my wife and work in NYC, so someplace that is less than an hour (preferably by train) is a must.

thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys,
I appreciate the move here or more there suggestions- but due to work, commuting, and time constraints this is just not an option. NJ is awful, but it is the lease awful of the tristate area (NJ, NY, CT)- at least in NJ you can have 15 round mags as opposed to 7.

·
Registered
947 Posts
go through this subforum on the NJ hunting/fishing/traping forum it has various threads on people's wait times/problems/etc. for most of the towns. also if I remeber right somewhere on the forum there is a specific thread dedicated to simply recording the wait times people dealt with in each town.

Expect a problem in most towns in the state. Hell I've know my chief of police my whole damn life and it still took him around six months,two personal phone calls from my mom, me going to the PD once a week and asking about any up dates on my FID card for 4 months and finally my mom talking to him in person to finally get my FID card approved and issued.

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
Yes New Jersey allows people to own guys, mostly for hunting, but unless your a police officer, you can forget even CONSIDERING concealed firearms. As that is 100 and 10 percent not going to happen. They can't forbid weapons 100% because then they would definitelly be in direct violation of the 2nd ammendment. I am surprise no on has tested New Jersey's strict but not clear enough to aviod confusion laws in court yet.

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
I said they allowed them, I never said the system was any good. In fact I believe New Jersey's system is terrible, it has thr most restrictive laws of almost any other state, but yet the laws are unclear and not specific enough.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Follow this thread from a NJ firearms board. It has actual posts from folks in most NJ towns discussing their times for FOID-P2P wait times.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/22294-nj-fidpp-compliancy-project/page-27

There is a huge difference town to town.....20 days to over a year depending on the town.

You should be able to filter where short wait times are

Wife and I were lucky, less than 30 days for her, little longer for me but the woman who took care of the permits left after I submitted and it was a few weeks getting a replacement clerk. When I called to check on status she told me it was downstairs for a couple of weeks waiting for me to pick it up...

Good luck

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,049 Posts
I said they allowed them, I never said the system was any good. In fact I believe New Jersey's system is terrible, it has thr most restrictive laws of almost any other state, but yet the laws are unclear and not specific enough.
check the spelling there chief, you said people can own guys,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Question for OP - do you already have an FID Card? If so, then I'm assuming your concern is for obtaining handgun purchasing permits. In my town, the PD go and interview your neighbors. That can be good or bad as I've found out from others I've spoken to here in town. I am friendly with all my neighbors, so they had no problem speaking to or saying good things about me to the PD. But if you are going to be new in town and your PD does this, you might not be so lucky.

I just filled out my application. Will call tomorrow for my SBI#. In case you didn't know, applicants now must submit their own requests for criminal background checks to the State on-line. First you get SBI from local PD, then you submit application and you get a confirm # you include with app you give to PD.

·
Registered
818 Posts
In case you didn't know, applicants now must submit their own requests for criminal background checks to the State on-line. First you get SBI from local PD, then you submit application and you get a confirm # you include with app you give to PD.
When did this start? Is it a township by township thing or statewide?

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
check the spelling there chief, you said people can own guys,
You can own one... Legally to. Just a very difficult and painstaking process. There are hunters in NJ....they obviously need to be able to own a gun. Unless you are suggesting they kill a deer with a pocket knife instead?

·
Survivalist in training
39 Posts
Legally! Of course anyone can own illegally! I wouldn't want to suggest owning illegally.

Yes all I said above was talking about legally.

I am aware there is extremelly severe limitations to firearms here in NJ, but all I was that you can legally own one.

They can't 100% ban guns, that would definitelly (and un disputedly) be against the 2nd ammendment.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
I thought i saw it all. What town is best in New Jersey for gunz? NONE. NADA. ZIP.

Either move somewhere with freedom, or accept not having anything worthwhile.

The whole region is a cesspool.. well, PA is a little better...Vermont better yet.

But Jersey? It is all the same..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts