Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking for tent around the $100. It's only for me and a large ALICE pack. I live in a hot weather with rain every other day(Puerto Rico). Looking for at least 6 foot long and 2 feet wide. Thanks in advance.

·
conservative
24 Posts
Look for the best discount on a 4 man dome tent with a full lenght rain fly and four poles (two will blow over too easily).

·
Registered
45 Posts
what about the rothco jungle hammock? i beleive (correct me if im wrong) is based off the WWII pacific jungle hammock.

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
REI is the Walmart of quality outdoor gear. Chances are the best deal on anything of decent quality will be found there. You can order online and they're currently offering free shipping on orders $50 and up.

Things to look for in a tent.
Aluminum poles
Sealed or taped seems.
A rain fly that actually covers the hole tent plus room for your boots!

Check these out.

1 person tent, don't expect to bring any dates over. Must place pack outside. Much better than carrying a 2 person tent though.
http://www.rei.com/product/815005/big-agnes-fairview-1-tent-special-buy

Non self standing so can't use on hard surfaces, must stake down, very light space to weight ratio and can fit your pack inside.
http://www.rei.com/product/812848/alps-mountaineering-mystique-15-tent-special-buy

My first choice for 1 person tent under $200.

Good luck

Hemp

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A hammock and a tarp is not an option. Puerto Rico is very Mosquitio, Roach, Anole, Iguana and Alsophis intensive. I need an enclosure.
Which is exactly why I would go with a hammock. Any decent hammock will either have netting incorporated into the design or have one as an option. These are not your typical back yard hammock. Unless you lack trees, I would want to be up off the ground where you are.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
REI is the Walmart of quality outdoor gear. Chances are the best deal on anything of decent quality will be found there. You can order online and they're currently offering free shipping on orders $50 and up.

Things to look for in a tent.
Aluminum poles
Sealed or taped seems.
A rain fly that actually covers the hole tent plus room for your boots!

Check these out.

1 person tent, don't expect to bring any dates over. Must place pack outside. Much better than carrying a 2 person tent though.

Non self standing so can't use on hard surfaces, must stake down, very light space to weight ratio and can fit your pack inside.
http://www.rei.com/product/812848/alps-mountaineering-mystique-15-tent-special-buy

My first choice for 1 person tent under $200.

Good luck

Hemp

Thanks for understanding the question. I'm actually gonna choose one of those 2. Cheers

·
Registered
589 Posts
Which is exactly why I would go with a hammock. Any decent hammock will either have netting incorporated into the design or have one as an option. These are not your typical back yard hammock. Unless you lack trees, I would want to be up off the ground where you are.
The problem with a hammock, even if you have netting is that you don't have anywhere to stow your gear in the dry unless you rig a separate tarp and even then you have no protection from the wet ground. A good tent will keep you and your gear dry.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
I also agree that a jungle hammock would work best. Mine is very light weight and has a rain cover and insect net. Would love to visit Puerto Rico someday. Never been there before. My father was born there.

Someone asked if anyone has ever used a Coleman pop up tent. I have not, but do own a 2 Second Quechua 2 man pop up tent that is pretty slick for short range hiking/camping trips.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
If you keep your eye on Steepandcheap.com they have deals every day on high quality tents.

But I agree with the others that a hamock with mesh enclosure would probably be best for that environment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also agree that a jungle hammock would work best. Mine is very light weight and has a rain cover and insect net. Would love to visit Puerto Rico someday. Never been there before. My father was born there.

Someone asked if anyone has ever used a Coleman pop up tent. I have not, but do own a 2 Second Quechua 2 man pop up tent that is pretty slick for short range hiking/camping trips.
If you keep your eye on Steepandcheap.com they have deals every day on high quality tents.

But I agree with the others that a hamock with mesh enclosure would probably be best for that environment.
Sincerely I cannot expose my self to theft. It is way too common in PR among people that live on the streets and wilderness. I need a shelter which is completely covered with my things inside. Is easier for someone to stab me while I'm sleeping on a hammock than having to open a zipper which is enough for me to wake up and go in zombie mode(joking).

I will check that site!

Edit: Is one item at a time...I guess is not efficient enough for me. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I backpack all over the South Eastern US and I use the Eureka Teton 2 around $80 from Campmor.com. Have used in heavy rains lasting days at a time and have yet to get wet. Its a 4x6 dome style with large rain fly and 2 doors and vestibles. Recently did Snowbird Mtn. in NC. Rained non-stop 3 of 5 days there and everyone got wet but me! Great tent but be sure to use a foot print for extended life.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
Edit: Is one item at a time...I guess is not efficient enough for me. Thanks anyway.
I leave it running in the background on my desktop all day at work. I have found some screaming deals on it. Just check it about every 15 minutes. You can also get an app for an iphone that will notify you of every deal when it comes up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
$95 REI Camp Dome.. REI makes some good equipment. This is their entry level tent.
I have been using for 3 years and saw last week that they were still under $100.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I backpack all over the South Eastern US and I use the Eureka Teton 2 around $80 from Campmor.com. Have used in heavy rains lasting days at a time and have yet to get wet. Its a 4x6 dome style with large rain fly and 2 doors and vestibles. Recently did Snowbird Mtn. in NC. Rained non-stop 3 of 5 days there and everyone got wet but me! Great tent but be sure to use a foot print for extended life.
Can't find the specific tent but is a nice site and will keep looking. Is it under 4 pounds packaged? That's one of my main concerns along with size when packaged and definitively has to handle +85F degrees. Thanks!

I leave it running in the background on my desktop all day at work. I have found some screaming deals on it. Just check it about every 15 minutes. You can also get an app for an iphone that will notify you of every deal when it comes up.
My laptop isn't working since 2 months ago; I'm lucky enough to have a sister that sleeps all day and she doesn't bother me using it while she is at it. The closest thing to an iPhone on my hands is a $10 dollar cellphone and 8gb iPod nano. I have the site on ATM while I'm using it. Thanks!

$95 REI Camp Dome.. REI makes some good equipment. This is their entry level tent.
I have been using for 3 years and saw last week that they were still under $100.
That one seems good and simple. 4.5x7 feet floor room is enough for me and my gear. One downside is the 5 pounds and 6 ounces. Maybe can be distributed around my ALICE pack. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mis-spoke my friend...It's the Eureka Apex 2..... I was looking at both models when I bought this one and had trouble recalling the name its $69.97 right now and Item # 28103. Type that number in the search box and it should bring it up....Its 5 lbs14 oz packed weight but I got mine slimed to 5 lb 2 oz just by losing the stuff bags!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mis-spoke my friend...It's the Eureka Apex 2..... I was looking at both models when I bought this one and had trouble recalling the name its $69.97 right now and Item # 28103. Type that number in the search box and it should bring it up....Its 5 lbs14 oz packed weight but I got mine slimed to 5 lb 2 oz just by losing the stuff bags!
That one looks really good for the price. Have you tried it under really hot weather?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts