Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
KY Fried Hiker
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best Swiss Army Knife for an every-day carry knife, as well as a survival tool?

What blades would you want in it, and what blades can you do without?

If there is a specific SAK model you like, please post it here.

I am thinking knife blade, saw blade, can opener, pick blade, magnifying glass, scissors, and file. Maybe the phillips/flat-head screw driver options for everyday carry use.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
They are great knives. The model you select just depends on how heavy of a tool you want to carry. I would recommend a model where the main blade locks for sure.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It is like asking which gun should I carry. Both Victorianox and Wenger are great companies. i have knives and tools from both. Stay away from the OFF brands (China) etc. I agree with the locking provision of the main blade. I keep one in all my vehicles and my luggage when I travel. You have to find the ones that fit you and your needs. The huge ones are too much for me. I want a knife that fits my hand. I don't need a pencil in my knife

·
The European Outdoorsman
675 Posts
If you are in Europe, a little known company named Mikov has good stuff. It is a Czech company and it is popular in Europe because knives imported from the states are many times more expensive, but pay is lower in CKR and quality is the same as other European manufacturers...IE good.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
I carry a super tinker as EDC. It has a good selection of tools. Not so big it become a pain to carry or awkward to use.

I am thinking about upgrading to a boyscout model, which is the same knife except for the addition of a saw and the cool boy scout logo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've carried a Victornox electrician everyday for 23 years and if I had to recommend one single knife it would be the Victornox Farmer because it has all the required tools including a saw without a lot of width. I have a Farmer in my BOB just sentimental to my Electrician. I would limit my selection to those models with metallic scales. I've owned a few plastic ones and they just don't hold up as well, they crack and chip rather easily.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wish you could build your own. Theres a few that are almost perfect but each one is lacking that one tool. Id like one with a large and small blade, phillips screwdriver, can opener, flathead/cap opener, awl, saw, scissors, file, toothpick, tweezers, and lets not forget the little hidden safety pin that goes into the scales. Thats it. I dont really have a need for the corkscrew, or the bag hook, which is what many of them come with. Thats my ideal SAK.

·
Comrade
232 Posts
Why not go all the way and get a Swisschamp?
So many tools on there are useful beyond their intended purposes that if I can't fix something with a Swisschamp, I probably can't fix it at all.

Plus, it's compact to the point that it's not much bigger than a cell phone, and it fits in the change pocket on all of my jeans.

Vic also makes the Swisstool, a full sized Gerber-like multi-tool that can take incredible amounts of use and abuse and still function perfectly. I know this from experience.

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I couldn't find what I needed in one knife so I ended up with a Classic in my wallet and a New Solder on the belt in a Victorinox cordura pouch. This is my both EDC and hiking/camping setup.

My requirements

Big Locking Blade
One-Handed opening
Saw
Mini Prybar
Flat and Philips Screwdrivers
Tweezers
Small Scissors for Hangnails

Removing the serrations took about 5 minutes with a diamond plate and I like it this way.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Soldier-Knife-Standard/dp/B001RL7OPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312341446&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-Pocket-Knife/dp/B00004YVB2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312341697&sr=1-1

If you carry a fixed blade in the wilderness then you probably could replace the New Solder with the Farmer.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Farmer-Pocket-Silver-Ribbed/dp/B0007QCOO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1312342313&sr=1-1

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Friend in Preparedness:.
Back in the late 1970's, I worked as a guide in the Canadian Rockies. I worked on horse back for an outfitter, and spent most all my time in the pristine landscape of the Wilmore Wilderness in Alberta. What worked well for me, regarding cutlery, was a Swiss Army Knife complemented with a large Case single blade lock folder. This is what I had, and what I used. The Swiss Army Knife served for.. a lot of the every day light work. The main blade diced potatoes, the scissors trimmed my moustach and found use when patching my jeans and shirts, the leather punch was handy for putting holes in girth straps and bridles, the tooth pick and tweezers always proved worth for their creature comforts, the corkscrew more than once saved the day for quests that had forgotten theirs, the can opener opened many cans, and most of all it was in a package that carried well in the pocket of my jeans. The single blade Case was used for bigger chores.
Recently, I have purchased the same Swiss Army Knife with the addition of a saw blade. True, it may not be perfect, but it is a handy tool that can complement ones survival package.
Always remember, the ultimate survival tool is between your ears. Keep your powder dry.
Graystone

·
Registered
972 Posts
Why not go all the way and get a Swisschamp?
So many tools on there are useful beyond their intended purposes that if I can't fix something with a Swisschamp, I probably can't fix it at all.

Plus, it's compact to the point that it's not much bigger than a cell phone, and it fits in the change pocket on all of my jeans.

Vic also makes the Swisstool, a full sized Gerber-like multi-tool that can take incredible amounts of use and abuse and still function perfectly. I know this from experience.
A swisschamp fits into your change pocket? No offense but how big are your pants? Are we thinking the same change pocket here? The little fifth pocket on the right front of a pair of jeans?

A SD classic is just about the only victorinox that will fit in my change pocket. Swisschamp is way too big. Something I and I believe others look for are the most tools in a small package.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts