Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
What's the premise? Small game? I'd take a bolt action .22 - higher reliability. General food - 12ga shotgun. Self defense - .30 cal auto rifle.
I agree with it depends on the premise... if you're limited to what you "walk into" the woods with and you're not going into an area populated by a lot of bears or wolves, .22 is great. squirrels and rabbits and all kinds of varmits and you can carry 1000 rounds for maybe... I dunno, 6 or 7 lbs in your pack?

How long are you going to stay, 1000 rounds is a long time. How good are you at making traps and snares and fishing gig poles?

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
I agree with it depends on the premise... if you're limited to what you "walk into" the woods with and you're not going into an area populated by a lot of bears or wolves, .22 is great. squirrels and rabbits and all kinds of varmits and you can carry 1000 rounds for maybe... I dunno, 6 or 7 lbs in your pack?

How long are you going to stay, 1000 rounds is a long time. How good are you at making traps and snares and fishing gig poles?
Actually it is easier to get small game with traps than trying to hunt for them. You'd be spending all day with your gun in hand hunting without preparing shelter, gathering edible plants, and getting ready for the coming night. Setting up a trap takes no more than 10-15 minutes. Hunting, how many hours do you want to waste? Anyone would be better off carrying a larger caliber at least a 30-30. There will always be predators in wooded areas unless you go to a neighborhood park.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
Carbine is actually ideal for wooded areas. In woods your not going to be making a 300 yrd shot. You'll be making 100-150 yrds, which is well within the parameters of a carbine. Plus a carbine is easier to carry through thick brush. You'd also be surprised of how accurate a carbine is at long ranges depending on what it is. If you use a 6.5 grendel in a carbine you can make accurate shots at 300 yrds all day long.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
if you had to go into the woods with only one gun what would it be.

i would take the ruger 10/22. how about you?
First off a lot depends on WHY I'm going into the woods and WHAT purpose the gun is going to serve.

If I'm hunting large or dangerous game in dense brush, where quarters are close...A 45-70.

If I'm hunting big game, where ranges may vary, then a 30 caliber centerfire, 30-30 and up.

If I'm hunting grouse the a 12 ga. pump shotgun goes along.

If I'm exploring a new place, then a centerfire handgun and if I am feeling particularly ambitious then a carbine in matching caliber goes along.

If I'm day or weekend hiking a well used trail where other hikers will be encountered the just the centerfire handgun, usually concealed.

If I'm camping I take along a .22, for casual plinking.
Peter

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lever action Savage 99 in .308 with a couple of .308 to .32 ACP adapters for smaller game.
Have to whole hartedly agree with you. Few people know about these adapters. With this combo you have both big and small game capability. Dont mean to be mean but the guys that say the shotgun can do it all apparently know more about shotguns than i do, as i didnt think they were capabile of 3oo yard shots on elk.

1 - 20 of 337 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.