Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im shure i missed this post on here . im looking for a fixed blade survival knife that will hold up to he-- and back .also a axe ? can yall help me out with any ideas .thx:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would go with an Ontario Spec Plus Marine. That thing can really take a licken and keep on ticken. Its a tough knife for sure. Holds an excellent edge (made out of 1095 carbon steel), has excellent anti-rust coating that would take a long time to actually come off, a Kraton handle that isn't effected by rain, ice, sun, sweat, salt, or age and sticks in your hand very well. 7 inch blade in which I was able to chop decent sized tree down with. Made in the USA and its around 38 bucks at gpknives.com. Another knife that I heard great comments on is the Cold Steel trailmaster and their Recon Scout which is pretty much its little brother. Never used the Trailmaster myself but I haven't heard a single bad thing about it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
1095, aus8
1095 is an excellent steel. But Aus8a can only take so much abuse. For a fixed blade I wouldn't go for Aus8a because stainless normally can't take as much as Carbon steel. Carbon steel is definetly the way to go when it comes to taking abuse in my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The feud will rage on haha no one can agree on the single best steel ever. I am sure though most of us come to some of the same answers. 1095, 1084, O1 is my opinion.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
1095, A2, D2, Aus-8, 154CM, ATS34 are all good in their own way. I tend to like A2 and D2 High Carbon Tool Steels. Hard to sharpen due to the hardness but holds and edge and gets very sharp. I don't care for the 440 steels. I do have a 110 Buck made of 420 Stainless that sharpens well and holds its edge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
d-2 is brittle yet razor sharp
1095 if you will be using it as say pry bar ect.
I have a spyderco in Vg-10 that has faired vary well

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Hey'ya Man. I've got a few combinations that would suit you well in the "Great Outdoors."

PS: Would've help if you gave a price point! :p

First;
Kabar - Plain Edge USMC
-1095 Carbon steel. (Sharpens easilly, VERY tough steel, my favorite)
-7 inch clip point blade. (Lethal, Good Size, Flat ground, batons well)
-Leather washer handle. (Handsome handle, will last a long time if cared for properly.
-American made knife. (Sheath made in Mexico, however, high quality. Who cares where somthing is made as long as quality control is a factor?)
http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/ta...C4.ctx=Fixed Blades&backto=/store/level3c.tam

Wetterlings 15" Hunting Axe:
-High carbon steel.
-Hand forged.
-Convex edge.
-Beautiful Edge out of the box.
-Wood Handle. (Comforting in the cold, blends in with the enviorment.)

Cheaper Option:

Frosts Mora #2 Carbon Steel. (Enough on it allready on the net)
http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=9
Gerber Sport Axe. (I have the Back Paxe, both very good quality.)
http://www.fernknives.com/gerber/sport-axe/322/index.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts