Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
This is like asking randomly which car is best....For what purpose? What kind of performance? What are going to be the owners concerns?

I mean, opinions are like A$$es, everyone has one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For home defense I have 18" Remington 870 synthetic stock with extended magazine. Great gun. Also, check out the Mossberg 590.

To further the discussion: I personally would prefer (in terms of shotguns) a pump in a home defense type situation. I really can't back this up; it just feels right. For me I feel like I'm more in control of the weapon when I'm directing the action. I feel like the pump enables you to control any recoil problems you have more than a semi-auto.
Note: I have very limited experience in semi autos as compared to pump, this is probably another reason.

What do you guys think in terms of pump vs semi auto for home defense? (Granted that if you need more than a few shots, you probably have bigger problems to worry about :/)

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
For home defense I have 18" Remington 870 synthetic stock with extended magazine. Great gun. Also, check out the Mossberg 590.

To further the discussion: I personally would prefer (in terms of shotguns) a pump in a home defense type situation. I really can't back this up; it just feels right. For me I feel like I'm more in control of the weapon when I'm directing the action. I feel like the pump enables you to control any recoil problems you have more than a semi-auto.
Note: I have very limited experience in semi autos as compared to pump, this is probably another reason.

What do you guys think in terms of pump vs semi auto for home defense? (Granted that if you need more than a few shots, you probably have bigger problems to worry about :/)

Dunno the military uses the Benelli M4 (drool) at 1,400 you can have one too. I think with the correct loads and proper care (like any other firearm) a semi auto is just fine.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Winchester SuperX2 Practical MKII. Perfect out of the bix. fast firing, easy to clean, reliable. VERSATILE. Next, Browning Gold Hunter. Not as versatile- has to do with the barrel/choke system, but a great gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently own a Mossberg 500 but I am buying a Mossberg 930 SPX. The conventional wisdom used to be that a combat shotgun had to be a pump because semi-autos were not reliable. The Marine Corps has adopted the Benelli M4 as its official combat shotgun and put that paradigm to rest. Unfortunately the M4 is prohibitively expensive; but fortunately the Mossberg 930 SPX is reasonably priced and just as effective.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.