Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im looking for a fairly low priced shotgun for home defense it will be my first, I have my eye on the maverick 88 although I am leaning toward the mossberg 500 a lil more lately, I was wondering about both if anyone knows? Or if there is something else worth taking a look into as well?

·
Always Loaded
2,807 Posts
I would suggest a rem 870. It will cost a little more, but well worth it. Maybe look for a used one. The H&R pardner is a decent gun as well. I've owned one for a few years and it is sufficient. Don't buy a shotgun with only pistol grips! I made this mistake. It may look cool, but it is not a practical choice. Good luck with the search.

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
I'm sorry I have a little laughing goin on here, your title is "best shotgun money can buy" yet you actually want to know which of the least-priced value shotguns are better than each other, total Alpha-Omega opposite ends of the spectrum here broseph.

The Maverick is the Mossberg's youngest brother. If money is absolutely tight and you need a family defender then you can be happy knowing you did great for each penny you'll spend on a Maverick . (I would buy a Maverick 88 over a NEF Pardner Pump any day but that's just me.). Chances are if you upgrade to a Mossberg 500 you will love it, I am rarely confronted with someone who HAS a Mossberg and doesn't like it.

Having said that, just a week ago I bought a Remington 870 and it's great so, its hard hard to go wrong with The Great American (Shot) Gun... I recommend checking out one of the bigger sporting goods chain stores nearest you (D I C K ' S Sporting Goods is mine local sports chain) because they seemingly always have ONE of the models on sale for a great price, sometimes even the combos with 2 barrels, longer and shorter.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Even though is is a slow reload compared to a pump, NEF single shots can't be beat for durability. Topper style is an old design, no whistles or bells, just shoots.
Every farmer in America owns one. How many rounds do you think will be fired in a home? Drop it in a mud pile, still works. sit in the rain, still works.
You really need at least 2 shotguns any way, so get your Moss 500, or Rem 870, and a Topper 12 ga.

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
You really need at least 2 shotguns any way, so get your Moss 500, or Rem 870, and a Topper 12 ga.
See you are so DEAD ON RIGHT about that... Such a subtle yet simple fact many people don't realize.

First off, 3 is 2 ; 2 is 1 ; 1 is None.

Second off, A backup shotgun is like the backup quarterback, Most popular guy on campus / on the team / IN YOUR HOME.

I am EXPONENTIALLY more happy now having my 870 to back up my M930SPX -- and don't take me wrong, I trust the 930 WITH ME LIFE, and the lives of my family. But with an 870 Tactical right next to it, I DEFINITELY am not getting out-gunned in my home during an invasion - short of DevGru or Delta Force deciding that I suck and they hate me.

·
1 of 1,139,562
5,449 Posts
The "best shotgun you can buy" is one that you can load fast (even in the dark), and shoot well.

Any chance you have some friends that can let you try theirs to see if it fits you?

·
Super Moderator
12,403 Posts
Some good choices here, for what the OP wants, despite the way it was phrased.

For that Best Shotgun Money Can Buy I would say probably be a custom Peter Hofer 12 gauge O/U.

Just my opinion.

·
workin on it
1,392 Posts
I looked at many low priced shotguns and went with the H/R Pardner Protector at Wally.

Its a copy of my 870 with "18.5 barrel and what i realy liked besides the $179 price was the fact that its sling ready. Built like a tank too.
I have the HR. Shoots well, can change choke tubes, Hi-viz sight on mine. Added side saddle to hold extra shells and sling. Can shoot 3" or 2 3/4" shells, chambers well and like the 870 easily taken down and cleaned. Takes most 870 aftermarket items. Have only shot three boxes of game loads and various slugs and buckshot loads to see how it patterns, not any problem to report.

If you have any lefties, check out Stevens. They have a bottom ejecting model similar to Ithaca, that is reasonably priced. Have not seen opinions on this.

The Mossberg is proven, and a big seller, should not have any problem getting parts or aftermarket. Just get very familiar with what you do select and you will not have any regrets.

·
Threepin'
4,069 Posts
Rem 870 or Mossy 5 Pump.

Reactions: Athanasius

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Mossberg 500 hands down. It is in my opinion the most versatile, do it all shotgun money can buy. Remington's quality has dropped in recent years. If you want a sub $200 gun I'd look at a Mav 88 or the pardner protector as mentioned above.

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
$300 bucks to spend. + or -

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

Then choose barrel/tube length - example 5+1 or 7+1

:thumb:

I've been sloberin' all over the Mossberg 930spx for like a year. (around $670) They have the new gen's out with all the bugs fixed. I MUST have one! (Its a 7+1 semi-auto) I would get a Semi because I already have two pumps. 7+1 semi-auto RAIN!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I guess i should add a caveat to my post above.

Truth to be told its gonna be hard to go wrong with any of the budget shotguns so it really comes down to what you wanna nitpick on.

Low weight? Mav 88. Great gun with an aluminum receiver.

The Protector is all steel and thicker than my 870!

My Protector, the Hawk, Stevens, etc, probably come down the same line with variations and that's where the differences are and what you need to decide on. Since they're copies of a great design they are hard to screw up and reviews have shown the work great. Chinese built though so some have issues with that.

The Mav 88 has its parts made in Mexico but is built in Eagle Pass, Texas so technically its an American product.:xeye:

For me, i grabbed an import before the fedgov stops them from coming into the country.

·
Tactical Sommelier
1,081 Posts
$300 bucks to spend. + or -

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870

Then choose barrel/tube length - example 5+1 or 7+1

:thumb:

I've been sloberin' all over the Mossberg 930spx for like a year. (around $670) They have the new gen's out with all the bugs fixed. I MUST have one! (Its a 7+1 semi-auto) I would get a Semi because I already have two pumps. 7+1 semi-auto RAIN!

I have had my M930SPX since Super Bowl Sunday 2010... Absolutely my favorite firearm, and the thing I would use and do depend on for defending me, my home, my family, and my beloved best furry friend Australian Cattle Dog.

I'd like to think I did things RIGHT by immediately breaking down the 930, thorough cleaning, proper lubrication, then I broke it in with at least 2 boxes of 00 Buck, followed by as many cheap 7, 7 1/2, 8 etc. birdshot Bulk value packs from Walmart as I had with me. It has been 101% every time all the time, and I love it!

(And the Aimpoint Micro on the rail makes it EVEN BADDER-Ace baby!)

·
Premium Member
13,545 Posts
Hi Im looking for a fairly low priced shotgun for home defense it will be my first, I have my eye on the maverick 88 although I am leaning toward the mossberg 500 a lil more lately, I was wondering about both if anyone knows? Or if there is something else worth taking a look into as well?
this> the 590 not the 500 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/69320

or this> http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/55292

can't recommend remington, they have disapointed me twice in three years.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts