Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several pistols and am quite profcient with them but I have never owned a shotgun or long arm.

My main reason for buying a shotgun is home defense, however several of my family members hunt and I have recently thought about taking up the sport as a valuable survial skill.

So my question is what is the best shotgun for me to buy based on home defense being the primary need with hunting being a secondary need.

Thanks

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
either Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. You can find all most any type of barrel for these two fine weapons.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Get a Remington or Mossberg pump, get a 28" bbl with screw in chooke for hunting, and a second 18 1/2" to 20" bbl for self defense use. That 2 bbl combination will cover almost any need that you might have, with suitable ammo.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for that I found a Mossberg 500 12 GA that comes with 2 barrels and a pistol grip. Reasonably priced around 350 with shipping.

I think I will start there, I am sure in a few moths I will be buying my second one anyway :thumb:

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cant go wrong with an 870. I have a 26" vent rib barrel with screw-in modified and full choke tubes for hunting, a 20" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights for home defense and deer hunting, and another 20" rifled barrel with rifle sights for shooting sabot slugs. These are ferocious and accurate out to 200 yards. I can hunt any animal in North America with my 870.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.