·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
Remington 700 .30-'06
Bushnell Elite 3.5-10 x 40

Factory loads from 55gr Accelerator rounds to 220gr
Nearly infinate handloads

Cartridge adapters for .32 ACP & .30 carbine for small game

Of course, you can spend $25k for a Hofer funfling in 12 ga x 12 ga over .375 H&H Magnum, over .30-'06 over .22 Hornet with chamber adapters for 20 ga and .410 bore shotshells and use .32 ACP & 30 Carbine with adapters in the .30-'06

You can hunt just about anything in the world with it, excepting the African Big-5

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
RUGER 10/22!!!!!!!!! powerful for a .22 cheap versatile ideal for varmint & small game hunting ruger all the way baby!
As has been said by another member:
A Cricket .22 if you need more than one shot, you suck!

Just joking! :D

Reactions: rem243

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
dont listen to those guys. get a marlin 336 in .30-30 and you probably wont ever think you need another hunting gun. you wont NEED another, but it is fun to buy them.

ps you can buy five marlin .30-30s for what one of those M14s costs. the marlin is as reliable and will probably be more accurate.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
dont listen to those guys. get a marlin 336 in .30-30 and you probably wont ever think you need another hunting gun. you wont NEED another, but it is fun to buy them.

ps you can buy five marlin .30-30s for what one of those M14s costs. the marlin is as reliable and will probably be more accurate.
Not trying to start something but when you compare a Marlin 30-30 to an M1A/M14 it's like comparing apples and rutabagas. There is no comparison at any price.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

You won't see many of my posts with sarcasm, but do you honestly believe that a Marlin .30-30 is more accurate than the M14/M1A???

I would also like to ask you your age?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

You won't see many of my posts with sarcasm, but do you honestly believe that a Marlin .30-30 is more accurate than the M14/M1A???

I would also like to ask you your age?

The question was about a general purpose hunting rifle. Comparing an M14 to a hunting rifle is the false comparison. M14 is what it was designed to be- a military rifle. It can be pressed into service as a hunting rifle. "Best" hunting rifle? Far from it. Best for a beginner asking about what to get for hunting? Even further from it.

HAHAHA by the way, is not sarcasm, Joe 6. You may want to learn to use sarcasm tho! It is just SO convincing and looks so CLEVER!

Accuracy wise, you can get a sub MOA M14, probably with a heavy match barrel and other modifications that make it even less practical as a hunting rifle. They are designed for 7.62 x 51 military ammo, not commercial hunting loads.

Out of the box its probably gonna do 2 or 3 inches.

My particular used Marlin shoots from 3/4 of an inch to 2", and my Fulton M14 averages about 2.5-maybe yours does better.

Might be interesting to see what the group here says their rifles can do.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
nebguy said:
HAHAHA by the way, is not sarcasm, Joe 6. You may want to learn to use sarcasm tho! It is just SO convincing and looks so CLEVER!----my Fulton M14 averages about 2.5-maybe yours does better.
That was just my honest response after reading your post, it's as simple as that. And if your Fulton is only giving you 2.5moa you need to send it back to them and ask why! I suspect a mechanical problem, maybe it's an incorrectly indexed barrel, or possibly operator error.

Both of my Springfield M1A's will give me 1moa or better accuracy at 100 yards if I do my part, and this is with regular old military ball. Neither one has a "heavy match barrel", they are both equipted with standard contour barrels, and neither is scoped. And as far as "their being designed for 7.62x51, and not commercial loads", hogwash!!!! I wish you could ask the many deer I've taken with either of my M1A's, their thoughts on that. Hollow points and softpoints have all fed reliably, and let's not forget the newer ballistic tipped ammo.

I think where you are a bit confused is when you try to use mil-spec ammo in a commercial rifle, ie Rem. 700, Win. Model 70 etc., it's because of the slightly thicker case on the military brass. I'm not saying you can't do it, it just may not be too safe.

nebguy said:
My particular used Marlin shoots from 3/4 of an inch to 2"
3/4" to 2" groups huh??? That's a rather large variance, don't you think? See my suspect on why your (?) Fulton only shoots 2.5moa again...

Now back to r0ckclimer17's original question of, "What is the best all purpose hunting rifle?" Without a doubt, any good bolt action chambered in a high power cartridge. Regardless of nebguy's preferance for the .30-30 in a lever gun, a cartridge that's very limited in range. Though the .30-30 can safely take deer to 150 yards, and with some of the newer rounds available, maybe 200. Remember also, if you choose to go the lever gun route, you must use flat or round nosed ammunition. But, if you decide to go the bolt action route, you are not so limited. Bolt guns are infinately reliable, inherently more accurate, more easily scoped, and chambered in calibers that can take large game past 500 yards.

Oh and nebguy, you still havn't answered my question as to your age....

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
Around North America the five most preferred bolt action rifles are: 30.06, .308 Winchester, the 8 millimeter (7.92) Mauser, the .270 Winchester and the 6.5 Swedish Mauser rifles. In lever action or saddle carbines the rifles are the 30-30, the .357 magnum and the .44 magnum rifles. If you are hunting small critters the most popular rifles are the .222, .223, .22 LR and the .22 magnum rifles.

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Ruger No. 1. That's what I hunt with. Easy manual of arms, 30/06 will take almost anything on this continent. One shot-gotta make it count. It's light, super strong, but kicks quite a bit.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
3/4" to 2" groups huh??? That's a rather large variance, don't you think?
Not really, I suppose it's the ammo if he can get 3/4" groups on a good day.

My Browning BLR .308 lever action will shoot 1 1/2" at 100yds with cheap ammo.
Better with quality ammo.
And you know what, that is acceptable for me, I prefer to get in as close, very rarely shooting at more than 150-200yds. :cool:

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That was just my honest response after reading your post, it's as simple as that. And if your Fulton is only giving you 2.5moa you need to send it back to them and ask why! I suspect a mechanical problem, maybe it's an incorrectly indexed barrel, or possibly operator error.

Both of my Springfield M1A's will give me 1moa or better accuracy at 100 yards if I do my part, and this is with regular old military ball. Neither one has a "heavy match barrel", they are both equipted with standard contour barrels, and neither is scoped. And as far as "their being designed for 7.62x51, and not commercial loads", hogwash!!!! I wish you could ask the many deer I've taken with either of my M1A's, their thoughts on that. Hollow points and softpoints have all fed reliably, and let's not forget the newer ballistic tipped ammo.

I think where you are a bit confused is when you try to use mil-spec ammo in a commercial rifle, ie Rem. 700, Win. Model 70 etc., it's because of the slightly thicker case on the military brass. I'm not saying you can't do it, it just may not be too safe.

3/4" to 2" groups huh??? That's a rather large variance, don't you think? See my suspect on why your (?) Fulton only shoots 2.5moa again...

Now back to r0ckclimer17's original question of, "What is the best all purpose hunting rifle?" Without a doubt, any good bolt action chambered in a high power cartridge. Regardless of nebguy's preferance for the .30-30 in a lever gun, a cartridge that's very limited in range. Though the .30-30 can safely take deer to 150 yards, and with some of the newer rounds available, maybe 200. Remember also, if you choose to go the lever gun route, you must use flat or round nosed ammunition. But, if you decide to go the bolt action route, you are not so limited. Bolt guns are infinately reliable, inherently more accurate, more easily scoped, and chambered in calibers that can take large game past 500 yards.

Oh and nebguy, you still havn't answered my question as to your age....
QUOTE=SIXPACK;177504]That was just my honest response after reading your post, it's as simple as that. And if your Fulton is only giving you 2.5moa you need to send it back to them and ask why! I suspect a mechanical problem, maybe it's an incorrectly indexed barrel, or possibly operator error.

Oh and nebguy, you still havn't answered my question as to your age....[/QUOTE]

Good to know you worked out the difference between honesty and sarcasm. You was getting in over your head there. Now work out the difference between asking something on topic and that which is noy(f)b.

Dunno why you cant resist trying to take digs, with stuff about operator error or saying i'm confused but its always good fun to see someone like Joe6 come up with stuff like "See my suspect on why your (?) Fulton only shoots 2.5moa again..."

Unintended humor but it will do.

"What is the best all purpose hunting rifle?" was the original question. He didnt say hunting what, so maybe .22 rifle is the best in his case.

I have a pre 64 model 70 in .243 and .308 (it likes 7.62x51 btw). I'd say that a bolt action in a caliber similar to the .30-06 is about ideal for big game hunting. Certainly served me well. Dunno about the '"infinately" more reliable but I'm satisfied
that you recognize the M14 is not an ideal hunting rifle. That was my main point when you started volunteering that I was making absurd statements. The M14 is not a particularly good choice as a hunting rifle and definitely not for a beginner.

Ok so joe6 and neb mostly agree on the bolt gun.

About ten million people have decided that the 30-30 lever gun is their choice.

Your belief about flat nosed bullets in the .30-30 is kinda outta date.

Regarding the M14, I said its designed for the 7.62x51, and it is. Simple. Guess yours is also designed for 200 gr commercial .308 loads. Cool. Keep it up.

Different ammo produces different results in my Marlin! I didnt think that was much variance considering off days and switching ammo.

The accuracy difference between a 336 and an M14 will never be settled here but it is totally irrelevant to the value of either as a hunting rifle.

Still be interested to hear what others say about the our of the box accuracy they get with their '14s and 336s.

·
Registered
488 Posts
What is the best all purpose hunting rifle?
Did you get enough answers yet?
Id get a gun for more than just taking game0 protection, target shooting, fun.
Depending on your budget theres break open, bolt action, semi and lever guns.
You can get a new break open for a few hundred, or a mil surplus in the other action types.
For a new rifle hunting caliber Id choose 30-06, 308, 270, 30-30 or 7.62x39.
H&R break open guns are a good deal.
Best is up to you.

About the M1A argument, if my new rifle shot less that 1.5 out of the box Id be pretty pissed.
Id get the 30-30 though and use the money saved on ammo and a scope.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
As much as I love the M14/M1A types, I would not recomend it to a body just starting out in the rifle buisness. There are quite a few lever/bolt/single shot/semiauto action rifles out there that will work just fine for your intended purpose, and save you some $$ in the process. I would recomend that you find a gun store, and handle a few different rifles first. See for yourself as to which model/models "feel right" in your own mitts, and go from there. As far as a specific caliber goes, let us all know what kind of critters you are planning to hunt, and if possible, the expected distances that you are most likely to take the shot from. You'll most likely get more detailed recomendations from everyone. Will you be hunting from a stand? Will you be moving on foot over long distances? What kinda $$ are you lookin to spend? Any optics, or iron sights only? All of these factors play a part in making the best decision for you, and your requirements for a hunting rifle.

With that being said...........

Can you hunt with an M14/M1A? Yes. I use mine exclusively to hunt deer, and hogs. Can you use commercial hunting loads thru a rifle such as this? I do, but thier are some loads out there that I dont use. I stay away from anything marked " light magnum", and I dont use anything bigger than 168grain bullets thru this type of rifle. I also now stay away from all steel cased ammo such as Wolf, and Silverbear. ( 7.62x39mm used in SKS/AK rifles works great for us, but I have had worn/broken M14 extractors while using steel cased ammo in the past). Others milage may vary, but this is where I have drawn the lines so to speak.

Is an M14/M1A accurate enough to use as a hunting rifle? IMO it is.

This is my hog/deer hunting rifle. I had it custom built by a well respected smith who specializes in this type of rifle builds. She will keep bullet holes inside of a 1in circle all day long with WIN 150grain PP's at 100yds, provided that I do my part. I consider this to be more than enough accuracy for the terrain that I hunt in, and the critters that I hunt in general do not run off after being hit as long as I put the bullet where it's supposed to go. Just a reminder....... this rifle is not anywheres close to an "outa the box" rifle either.

This rifle is a factory M1A Bush rifle, and seems to like the 150grn ballistic silvertips the best. Off the bench at 100yds with optics, I can get 1 1/2 to 2 in groups.

This rifle is 100% Norinco M14, and will produce 1 to 3in 100yd groups with various commercial hunting loads. (I dont have my data book for this rifle with me right now for more specifics, but this is an overall ability based on 6 different hunting loads including 180gr REM Corkt locks before I quit using them)Note: All of these rifles shoot tighter groups with other types of loads.
Was the M14/M1A designed to be a hunting rifle? No. It was designed to replace several different weapons that were used for military purposes. ( M1 Garand, BAR, M1Carbine, M3 submachine gun, and later modified for sniper work as the M21). My clan picked this platform to cover several intended purposes for our specific requirements, and hunting is one of them. If your intent is to pull out your hunting rifle a week before deer season opens, confirm your zero, go hunting, and then put it back in the rack till next season comes around.......then you might be better served with a less expensive rifle. In an example such as this, a semiauto battle rifle with high capacity magazines would not be needed anyways. an aquaintance of mine uses a Rossi single shot rifle in 308 to hunt deer with.

I cant make any comments about the 336Marlin because I dont own one, and have very little expierience with them, or any lever action 30-30 for that matter. It was designed from the get-go to be a hunting rifle from what I know about them.

Just my .02

11B

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
How accurate is a Marlin 336?

Well about 4 years ago my brother got as a gift from me a Marlin 336T ( AKA "The Texan"). I got in trade for a Norinco SKS. It was my first of several 336's that are now in my life. My brothers rifle with me behind the trigger on turn in a 3/8 inch group at a 100 yards with Remington 170gr. core-lokts from Wally World. When they made this rifle the sights were made to shoot out to 300 yards on it's lowest setting. That was in 1978. By the 1980's they changed the rear sight to zero at a hundred yards. For most hunters close that distance easily, unless they have bicycle horns tied to the bottom of there feet!:D:D

This whole thing of it not having enough power for hunting is some gun writers that need a job and still need to stay in the gun industries good graces if they want to continue to enjoy there hobby turned job. IN THE GUN INDUSTRY THE MOST DANGEROUS CUSTOMER IS THE SATISFIED ONE!

As far as "killing power" somebody calling themselves "expert" said that it takes a 1000 foot pounds of energy at max distance you a willing to take a shot. Now you have writers are starting to say that the .30-06 is to weak to take Elk at any distance!!!!!! I read one authour that says the "starters" .30 caliber round should be the Reminton .300 Ultra Magunum. That moron is most defenately in the gun manufactures pocket. The .30-06 will bruse you shoulder easy and it can easily take any game in North America!!

There one problem thats a thorn in the gun makers side is that there is hundreds of thousands of hunters that contiune to make the .30-06 and .30-30, the top selling .30 caliber rounds in the US. There 1 and 3 respectively. The .223 is #2 but is good game wise to coyote at best. .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) is the 5th most popular.

Now lets put this in perspective shall we. By the Secret Services own research that it only takes 85 Ftlbs of energy to produce a casuality. So at 500 yards .30-06 has 1200 ftlbs. The .30-30 projectes 425 ftlbs at the same distace both will take man sized game. This is with factory ammo. With reloading even more is possilbe out of the "old" .30-30 winchester if one handloads.

One thing I don't like is how the ammo manufactures draw down the performance of cartridges to sell the new one. The .357 Magnum used to be loaded to 40,000PSI now it's 35,000. Then theres the .30-30 it used to be 42,000 PSI now they lowered it to 35,000 PSI. They claim because of old rifles and hand guns they draw down the performance for your protection when in reality there trying to sell you a new one.

I'm not against .308 Winchester it a great cartridge. But hunting with a M-14. First off there's lots of states that don't allow semi autos. That and a bolt and leverguns allows one to shoot odd size rounds that the semi auto can't swallow. The advantage of the lever action is the it can be topped of as you shoot them off, just like a tube feed shotgun. With Hornady releasing leverevolution bullets the .30-30 has become even better and if one spends a $100 one can have the respective cartridges a boost to the next level up with the Auckley Improved modification. .308 can be had out of the .30-30 AI when one reloads carefully.

So in the end one of the 3 cartridges .308, 30-06 or .30-30 will take care of any normal hunting one can hope for. Just pick a good rifle and your set.

Rifleman 336

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.