Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best Rifle in .308 Caliber? Money is no Problem. Im in the market to buy a new rifle. I perfer 20inch or 22 inch. Bolt action but with a clip. Just curious to see what you guys are using or like. Thanks !

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Are you lookin for a precision rig, a lightwieght hunting rifle, or somthin else? If money is not an issue, look at some of the custom builders out there. You can have them build a rifle specifically for you, and your specific needs.

If I was not constrained by a budget, I would have Smith Enterprize build me 2 of thier M14's, built from LRB M25 recievers. One of them would be built around a 22in Krieger heavy bbl with McMillan stock. The other would be sportin an SEI 18in "Cryo" bbl.

11B

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking Barrett but not sure if I need so much knock down power as 50 cal. So thats why I thought .308

Maybe somthing like Remington 700 Sniper rifle kinda?

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Money no object... Check this one out

AI Model AW - .308 $5500 or so for the rifle. Top of the line.

http://www.thunderbeastarms.com/ai.php

I just checked out your post. Thanks man that is a sweet rifle you read my mind. Thats what line of thinking I was thinking! $5,500 aint bad for that bad boy! Thanks Again!

Altough that would prob be alot of hazzle with the suppressor on the end. Thats a heck of alot of paper work. They are leagal for Civilans to own full auto and Suppressors in my state but the paper work is un-godly. I do see they do sell it without the suppressor and its only

AI Model AE - .308 24" plain $3,200.00 So thats not bad.

There 50 cal is a bit high though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just checked out your post. Thanks man that is a sweet rifle you read my mind. Thats what line of thinking I was thinking! $5,500 aint bad for that bad boy! Thanks Again!

Altough that would prob be alot of hazzle with the suppressor on the end. Thats a heck of alot of paper work. They are leagal for Civilans to own full auto and Suppressors in my state but the paper work is un-godly. I do see they do sell it without the suppressor and its only

AI Model AE - .308 24" plain $3,200.00 So thats not bad.

There 50 cal is a bit high though.

Anyone else have any ideas?
The AE model is a step below the AW (artic warfare).
Neither come with a supressor. Its just on there to look cool. Which it does.
With a good optic like Schmidt and Bender you would be set on either of these rifles.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Look into an FN , I shot one awhile back and was very impressed . Chrome bore , Pre 64 Winchester action .

There are any number of custom rifle builders out there that will do what you pay them for .

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
The best .308/7.62 NATO rifle that I've ever owned/carried was an M1A rifle. Get a decent scope mounted on it, zero it to your eyesight, ammo and rifle and you're golden for 800 meters with no major problem at all. I used the XM-21 version in Viet Nam as a sniper rifle and it WILL do the job. The M-14/M1A/M-21 series of rifles make a really good rifle for practical use. Good weight and diameter bullet. Great accuracy. It will take down anything on the North American continent except grizzly or polar bears and even then if you used well place multiple shots you could probably even drop them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best .308/7.62 NATO rifle that I've ever owned/carried was an M1A rifle. Get a decent scope mounted on it, zero it to your eyesight, ammo and rifle and you're golden for 800 meters with no major problem at all. I used the XM-21 version in Viet Nam as a sniper rifle and it WILL do the job. The M-14/M1A/M-21 series of rifles make a really good rifle for practical use. Good weight and diameter bullet. Great accuracy. It will take down anything on the North American continent except grizzly or polar bears and even then if you used well place multiple shots you could probably even drop them.

Yeah, a fine rifle, however I would put the FN/FAL out there for discussion. It is one of my favorites of any caliber in my collection.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for every one for there imput. I think im going with A Remington 700 308. Im a slap a nice scope and a bipod on it and I think Ill be set.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Best in .308...pretty broad question, however, my personal opinion would be a H&K PSG1 (okay...it's 7.62 Nato, but all that really means is that the 7.62 mil-spec ammo is actually hotter than the .308 ammo [the dimensions are exactly the same] and a PSG1 will feed and fire .308 ammunition without a problem).

--Wintermute

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you seriously want a Barrett check with Ammo Depot in Cado Mills TX. Ask for Mickey Lowrey, the owner. He has the best prices around and can ship to a dealer near you. I have know Mickey for over 20 years and have bought guns from him for that long. Good people there. If you need their number just send me a private message. Grinnan Barrett.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,497 Posts
I know you said bolt action, but.

I have a DPMS LR-308. What a fantastic rifle. It took a little tweaking to get it just right, but I must have a good one, as it is 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Never jams, misfires, FTF etc. Even the local LEO's go nuts over this rifle at the LEO range. It's that good.

Reactions: ncwebnut
1 - 20 of 171 Posts