Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which manufacturer or manufacturers are considered the best? I am interested in a 20 inch barreled variant, have not decided on flattop or carry handle, although I am leaning toward carry handle.

I have been looking into DPMS, Rock River and DSA. Any thought on these, or other ones that I have not mentioned.

John

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P. It is right up there with Bushmaster and Rock River. For the money though I think DPMS is a good choice. If you plan on putting a scope or optics on it then I would suggest you get a flat top. You can mount a scope on top of the carry handle but you do not get a proper cheek weld on the stock and alignment with the scope.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I think anymore they are all the same if you look at who owns who they are the same so what can you afford. I like the DPMS but dont like the one without the dust cover thats there for a reason and I wouldnt own one.

If you can build one I would build and save my money but if you going to buy my list would start.

1-Rock River Arms- They fall inline with most others but I think the top three all rank together.

2-Armalight (spelled wrong I think) I think they are owned by colt. I might be wrong.

3-Bushmaster (Im hearing QC problems as of late) This would be on top but QC problems put it here.

4-Olympic Arms- Life time warrenty I like that. Also great prices.

5-DPMS- Great prices.

6-COLT- To high for what you get over other brands its just a name.

7-S&W M&P (my last choice as they are having big QC problems do a search) Life time warrenty.

If you build right now some kits are on back order. I think www.del-ton.com has a full rifle for a great price check with them.

Always go flat top upper you have more choice and resale value much higher.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Mil spec is mil spec is mil spec. Dpms really is no better than Rock River, Del-Ton, double star, bushmaster or any other. Some make their own lowers, but most get the rest of the parts from the same military suppliers as everyone else. Chances are any AR you buy will have a mossberg or wilson barrel anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
If you are undecided about carry handle or not, might consider one w/a detachable carry handle.

My Anvil Arms M4 is set up that way.

Right now, it is set up w/a red dot on the carry handle. I like it that way since I can still use the iron sights.

If I were to mount a scope, I'd remove the handle (for the reason mentioned in the other post) and put it on the rail.

I can also mount a detachable rear sight on the rail, but I'd have to remove the scope to use it (not see thru), so I still have the option of iron sights if the scope craps out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wow now your talking money. Lesbaer is high and im sure really good stuff but man $$$$$$$.

I myself think just build one save the extra cash and buy ammo and mags. Also if you build you learn the rifle. I sitll have lots to learn about the AR-15 and really the major one I want to do is learn to clean it really good. Im not sure if im sold on the all in one cleaners.

·
American Infidel
2,670 Posts
Which manufacturer or manufacturers are considered the best? I am interested in a 20 inch barreled variant, have not decided on flattop or carry handle, although I am leaning toward carry handle.

I have been looking into DPMS, Rock River and DSA. Any thought on these, or other ones that I have not mentioned.

John

There is no "best." this argument has gone on forever and will continue forever.

I would do what someone else suggested and join an AR forum. AR15.com, M4 or even the AR15 section over at XDtalk is good. Read up and make your own choice. I've owned Colt's and Smith and Wesson's I like them both.

There are "high end" manufacture's like Noveske and LMT and then there are "budget" manufactures like DPMS and olympic.
What's best for you will depend on A) your budget and B) what you plan to do with it. Is it going to sit in a safe 98% of the time? do you plan to add features like VFG, optics, rails, etc.?

someone break out "the chart" so we can fight over that some more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts