Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow guys, thanks for all the quick replies. I will check into the sites mentioned. I am totally new at this so I didn't realize about a local feed store. So I just poped in a local one and noticed they had a ton of animal feed that I would of never thought they would carry, including several types of beans and corn. All of it looked very clean even though they look funny at me when I asked if it was safe to be consumed by humans. $9 for a 50lb bag of whole corn sounds too good to be true.

Sam's club had 50lb bag of rice for $23, so the $40 membership fee pays for itself once you factor in the difference of shipping.

I have seen the youtube video on food packing using feed wheat. Would It be safe to assume the same is true for most feed grains/beans? If so It would save us a ton of money.

Thanks again
I second Sam's Club.

There was a question posted on another forum about whether or not it was worth the membership fee to belong?
I would wholeheartedly say YES!

Here at our local Sam's, you can get 10 lb. bags of pinto beans for around $6.40 for 10 lbs.~.64 cents per lb.?
Um yeah, I'll buy 'em for that considering they are going for around $1.20 per lb. out in town.

We also recently bought a membership to Costco for their dog food & their dog beds. We can save $11.00 a bag for food for our pups, we go through about a 40 lb. bag every 3 weeks or so, that is a significant savings for us during the entire year.

As for your question about putting away your other food with the mylars & oxygen absorbers?
Yes~Grains, beans, rice, etc.
I've even seen people buy those huge 6 lb. bags of pasta at Sam's club and place them (inside their own bags) down inside a mylar bag, add oxygen absorbers & then seal them up.
So I would say just about anything could be stored away.

Just remember as a precautionary measure, make sure to freeze your rice, or grains (I even do my beans) *before* putting away for long-term storage.
That way if there's any little critters, it'll kill 'em and they won't hatch in your buckets.;)

Michelle in middle Tennessee

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but for all my searching the answer has eluded me. I have found several online places, like walton feed, but the shipping prices is shocking. I am mainly looking for bulk grains/legumes that I can buy in bulk and pack myself. Not looking for the already made year supply variety pack that cost 1-2 thousand. I'm on a short budget at the moment and want to get started stocking up on food NOW. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question get asked frequently.
I just saw this thread~
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=45344

It might be worth reading if you or anyone starts looking at buying 'field' corn.

Michelle in middle Tennessee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.